Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were we as obsessed with food...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
...back in the day?

No.

Great win last night and a good solid performance and half the tweets and FB statuses have been regarding sausage rolls and burgers!

I miss the old days at The Goldstone where you paid your 50p and got a plastic cup of brown liquid with an inch of sludge at the bottom!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...back in the day?

No.

Great win last night and a good solid performance and half the tweets and FB statuses have been regarding sausage rolls and burgers!
Back in the day our club didn't rely on high revenues from the food they sell to help with player budget. Now they do. They need the money, they charge a lot for the food and the pies are normally high quality so we buy them. That means we turn up without having eaten, as we're expecting to buy food. When we then can't buy food, because the caters have ****ed up, then we're annoyed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's valid to complain about the food. Barber includes all the "match day experience" stuff in his justification of sky high ticket prices so if you're being short changed in any area these days you have to say something.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...back in the day?

No.

I miss the old days at The Goldstone where you paid your 50p and got a plastic cup of brown liquid with an inch of sludge at the bottom!!

Of course not but the whole thing has moved on somewhat since then.

It's very frustrating when the club all but implore us to spend our money with them, dangling the carrot of better players, to repeatedly come up against barriers limiting or even preventing fans from spending their money.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought I could finish work at 6, get to the Amex at 7 and enjoy a 12 inch Pizza (for £9!) in my seat whilst watching the performers limber up. Sadly, I sit in the East Upper so I don't get to enjoy that experience, and instead I have the option of a "hot dog" (not sure WHAT it is, but a hot dog it isn't), a burger featuring unrequested coleslaw or pie flavours I don't like. Call my fussy, but I'm disappointed last seasons chicken and ham pie offering, or a burger without coleslaw, are no longer featuring.

But the football is the main thing, and that was very good - so ultimately, that's what matters. The club want my money, but they'll get less of it this season because of the lack of options.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All good points. I take it back!!!

No, I think you've raised a valid point but people are coming back talking about the overall match day experience, which is where we're told the emphasis is from the club. The experience for many is ruined by the travel chaos and the food failures so it's fair of them to vent on here. For me, I cycle there to ensure my journey is in my own control and the food is a bonus which is a shame overall for me but the football and the company of my Amex neighbours is what really matters to me. Everyone's entitled to assess the experience by their own standards.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's all part of the modern day out I think. Whether it be football, a theme park, a day in a park or on the beach we are all encouraged to buy stuff. No day out is complete without the kids stuffing their faces or dragging some piece of tat along with them. I used to buy pies at Withdean because it kept me warm, don't bother at the Amex.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here