Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thing I don't understand about football today

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Why is it that when any team nowadays is defending a corner or free-kick in their box they bring EVERYONE back.

It always used to be the case you'd leave one striker up on the halfway line and the opposition would then have to drop two players back to watch him. Which means they've got one less player to attack the ball in your box from the free-kick.

It is just the fashion that every team does this nowadays? Or is there some genius tactical reason for it that I don't understand?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, its a daft tactic, its been present for a couple of seasons at least. it puts you under pressure on second ball after the corner, and even if you take possession you've no outlet so cant build much of a counter attack. love to know any positives if there are any.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Denies space for the opposition due to numbers and makes it very hard to score against you

How many goals have you seen from corners when the defending team has everyone back?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Denies space for the opposition due to numbers and makes it very hard to score against you

How many goals have you seen from corners when the defending team has everyone back?

Well maybe, but then you used to sometimes see goals scored on the break from a corner at your end. Doesn't happen any more.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Depending on league and season, recent English results show 10-13% of goals scored directly from corners.

With the average goals-per-game hovering around 2.6, and good teams scoring 20 goals or so from set pieces, it could be one or two games won or lost a year, depending on whether you use the lock-down-everybody-back approach or not.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Based on what we've seen of Hughton's reign so far he's got us set up to provide a focus more on solidity rather than all-out attack. Making absolutely certain we've done everything to stop goals from corners is just another facet of that. It may not be as exciting but the last manager to grind out results like last night got us to the play-offs so the cautious approach can sometimes reap rewards.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Depending on league and season, recent English results show 10-13% of goals scored directly from corners.

With the average goals-per-game hovering around 2.6, and good teams scoring 20 goals or so from set pieces, it could be one or two games won or lost a year, depending on whether you use the lock-down-everybody-back approach or not.

But that doesn't break down the number of goals from corners into those that had everyone back and those who had left one or more players further up the pitch, so unfortunately those stats are pretty useless to back up or disprove the point i was making.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
But that doesn't break down the number of goals from corners into those that had everyone back and those who had left one or more players further up the pitch, so unfortunately those stats are pretty useless to back up or disprove the point i was making.

I expect the people with £ can get, and have got, those detailed stats.
Corners matter enough offensively that an apparently disproportionate defensive response might well be warranted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here