Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

park and ride

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Nice of the club to tell us about cockroft closing, May have missed it as I came back from France today, but lots of people caught out. Need an alternative.

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The problem is it was full over an hour before kick off, May have to divert to race hill, although not ideal for me.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
They didn't know until yesterday that Cockcroft would be closed - looks like a bit of a communication breakdown at the Uni. I did post a thread about it on here yesterday but guess not many saw it - would've been nice if it had been included in the pre-match brief at least. That and the train issues meant a bad evening getting to the ground for quite a few :(

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I arrived at Mill Road at 1735 to find it hadn't been set up, the road wasn't closed and we couldn't park. Was advised to keep going round in circles until it was sorted. When I asked the stewards what the problem was they said it should have been ready at 1630 but SOMEONE FORGOT TO BRING THE SIGNS! Unbelievable Jeff

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I arrived at Mill Road at 1735 to find it hadn't been set up, the road wasn't closed and we couldn't park. Was advised to keep going round in circles until it was sorted. When I asked the stewards what the problem was they said it should have been ready at 1630 but SOMEONE FORGOT TO BRING THE SIGNS! Unbelievable Jeff
I thought the guy delivering them about 17:45 looked in a hurry!

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
What time do you normally have to get to mill road before it's full? We have been using Mithras as Mill Road was always full by the time we got there but with only half the capacity at Mithras, if it's going mean leaving at the same time we might as well go to Mill Road as it's an easier journey.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The whole transport side of things was a mess pre-match. Looking at the Transport Managers tweets and others posts-

1. The Uni park and ride capacity was significantly reduced but the club hadn't spoken to the Uni about it until the day before. So lack of communication causes a bit of chaos on the day.

2. Mill Road park and ride didn't open on time because they didn't put the signs up. That's just people not doing their job- and again caused problems.

3. The trains were absolutely screwed on the way up. Apparently it was partly due to someone falling off a train at Newhaven. I cant really see how that would affect running trains back and forth between Brighton and Falmer? I have never seen so many people waiting for trains in Brighton, I got there at about 1845, the queue was out the front of the station, across the front, round and down Trafalgar Street. We walked off and got a taxi, I see others walked down to the Steine to get a bus which was probably the sensible option. If the problem was just the number of people who want to get up to an evening game at a similar time, it is getting the the point that you just need to avoid the trains entirely; bus, taxi, or head up early to the Swan. Saturdays work better as there is less general travellers on the trains than during an evening rush hour, and people stagger their journeys more.

Definately some lessons for the club to learn- on communication especially. A couple of things the club could do- if they had some staff at Brighton Station that would be really good PR- they could communicate with queuing fans- explain when the trains are coming in etc, and also help with the queuing system if it gets manic.

Secondly, the best thing they could do to encourage train travellers from Brighton to plan their journey earlier is to improve the outdoor drinking options at the stadium. Many people in town are stood outside a pub with other fans and end up heading to the ground later because they are having a good time. The outdoor bar thing at the ground could work much better if it was bigger, opened earlier, didn't close until 10 mins before KO, had some seats..... etc.

Is it still a cordoned off area with railings and security? If so it doesn't make much sense to me- lots of people are walking around freely with cans of beer on the go before the match, and post match you are free to stroll around outside with beers bought from the concessions stands.. why does it have to be so regulated?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here