Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking Football

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
If any of you older fans are interested in keeping fit while still playing the game you love there are walking football sessions each week from 5.30pm to 6.30pm every Thursday at Portslade Sports Centre. I am 43 but primarily it is designed for the over 60s. It is harder than it sounds but bloody good fun. Subs are £3 per week and tournaments are often held against other walking football teams from around the county. Please come along if interested.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
If any of you older fans are interested in keeping fit while still playing the game you love there are walking football sessions each week from 5.30pm to 6.30pm every Thursday at Portslade Sports Centre. I am 43 but primarily it is designed for the over 60s. It is harder than it sounds but bloody good fun. Subs are £3 per week and tournaments are often held against other walking football teams from around the county. Please come along if interested.

I'll go along with that - it's a tough workout, but I've made some great new friends (down in St Austell, not Portslade). It make you think as well - finding space, and looking for someone to pass to. Most of us are in our 50's, but one is 73. Give it a go!

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
How about Hove Park - I just have to walk out of my front door, plus it's right opposite our spiritual home! ( no I don't mean the new Nando's)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I started this recently and have found it excellent. After a LOT of years playing Saturday/Sunday football I had to give up five years ago at the age of 50 after arthroscopic surgery on my knee revealed no cartilage left. Up to that point I was still playing veterans football and squash a few times a week, but the surgeon said if I continued running I would very quickly need a knee replacement.

Mrs Wz pointed walking football out to me and I prevaricated for weeks as i didn't want to wander around a football pitch reminding me what i was missing. How Wrong can you be ! You still play pass and move on small pitches and by the end of the session I was sweating like a pig and seriously knackered. I'm hooked and can only suggest that if you have considered or thought about it, get yourself along.

The Albion are arranging sessions all over sussex, just mail them here http://albioninthecommunity.org.uk/football/walking-football

PS Bry, from what i've seen of Kemy, he'd struggle to keep up :wink:

Jul 7, 2003
I'm waiting for cartilage replacement surgery but am hoping that I will be able to sign up for this as part of my recovery afterwards.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Barry likes it, and has the Match of the Day as his ringtone! :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Very West-sussex biased, nothing in Eastbourne/Seaford/Newhaven.

Have you rung or e-mailed ? because there are new ones starting up all the time and there may be people in Eastbourne/Seaford/Newhaven who need a couple more to make up the numbers.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just returned and recovering from a session in Botley, Hampshire. It's only five minutes down the road from me. Nine blokes turned up in the rain. takes place on a 4g pitch.
Seven fat men and two thin ones, as it was during the day all were retired, age range 62 to 69. Two of us were 69 the other guy was pretty fit and athletic for his age, didn't score as many as me though.
I should imagine it looked pretty funny looking from the outside, various knee bandages and shapes. Good fun and good exercise, those of us still alive will return next week.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just returned and recovering from a session in Botley, Hampshire. It's only five minutes down the road from me. Nine blokes turned up in the rain. takes place on a 4g pitch.
Seven fat men and two thin ones, as it was during the day all were retired, age range 62 to 69. Two of us were 69 the other guy was pretty fit and athletic for his age, didn't score as many as me though.
I should imagine it looked pretty funny looking from the outside, various knee bandages and shapes. Good fun and good exercise, those of us still alive will return next week.

I think some of ours need two weeks to recover, and at least one is waiting for a knee replacement. Two of us are 57, and the oldest are 73 and 75.

I just hope I'm as fit as them in 15 years - and this is one way to ensure it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here