Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O/T - salary negotiation..

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.ostenergy.com/careers/201...unts-assistant

What do you think is a good / reasonable starting amount to ask for, when applying to this job? Got very good knowledge for 80% of job spec, basic for the rest.. many years admin experience, can pick up new systems easy..

http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...ly-mean-rant-3
    Am I bovvrd..? Also causing a rumpus, on that twitter thing..

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      It won't be more than 18K I reckon. I'd try for £20K with performance pay increments.
      I am not an accountant.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm doing the AAT too, so that must help..

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by desprateseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      http://www.ostenergy.com/careers/201...unts-assistant

What do you think is a good / reasonable starting amount to ask for, when applying to this job? Got very good knowledge for 80% of job spec, basic for the rest.. many years admin experience, can pick up new systems easy..
      Honestly, I wouldn't put a salary expectation in the application. It is unusual that the JD doesn't give a range, but it doesn't. If you put an expectation for salary in your application, you are guaranteeing that you will not be invited to interview if it's higher than they want to pay. You are in a much better negotiating position if you attend the interview (assuming you get one), impress them a lot and then ask them what the salary is. If you're satisfied that you really have impressed them, say "That's a little lower than I was expecting, I was looking for £xk", where £xk is 10-15% higher than their number and is rounded to either the nearest £1000 or £500.

There are 2 risks with this approach:

1 They want to pay thruppence ha'penny; in which case you've wasted the interview time and the preparation time (you are going to prepare, right? - by, for example, pulling their accounts from companies house for £1 and doing some basic ratio analysis - you are applying for an accounts job after all).
      2 They get pissed off that you've asked them for 10-15% more and pull the offer - this is extremely unlikely - read their body language and assess whether you should pull your request for additional money before they have time to get pissed off.

All imo, of course. Good luck.
      2A. K2-18b. S’agenouiller devant Neal

1 Not allowed!
      Between 18-20k for AAT studier, 22k+ for AAT qualified.

0 Not allowed!
      Trouble with doing AAT is finding firms that will allow time off (max 4 hours a week) - otherwise I will have to find ££ to fund myself, in an evening slot.. college is restricted to how many classes get funded, now..

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by brightn'ove View Post
      Between 18-20k for AAT studier, 22k+ for AAT qualified.
      When do accountants start earning mega bucks? I always assumed it was a very well paid job even shortly after qualifying.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by deletebeepbeepbeep View Post
      When do accountants start earning mega bucks? I always assumed it was a very well paid job even shortly after qualifying.
      Depends what figure you think is well paid.

Having AAT is not a qualified accountant also. Do ACCA!

0 Not allowed!
      AAT is more equivalent to having a degree, I think it's a level 4 qualification.

ACCA, CIMA and ACA are the professional qualifications - that's when you start earning the big bucks.
      Unregistered User

0 Not allowed!
      In reality it doesn't work like that, not in most jobs anyway. I had to get promoted into roles of more responsibility to get any decent sort of pay rise, and that seemed to happen because I was pretty good at the job and was in the right place at the right time. I don't think my employer cared particularly whether I was qualified (CIMA) or not, it was whether I could do the job.

Obviously qualifications can help getting you a job in the first place as it's something employers can quickly filter CVs on, but once you're in a company I don't think they're particularly relevant.

Though I'm sure there are some companies out there who hand out nice pay rises as you progress through the qualifications, but they're few and far between.