Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we really be upsett if Dunk leaves?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Ok, so lots of comments on the forum thread about the likelyhood of Dunk leaving for Fulham (possibly) or Newcastle (More likely).

For a moment, forget the issue of when / how well we replace him, including common criticisms that most of us agree on (that we did not replace leo, Barnes, Bridcutt or Buckley well enough for example...)

Should we really be upset if Dunk goes for around £5m as looks likely....

Well, firstly, if he has a £5m release clause as many have speculated then there's nothing we can do other than offer him a better deal (might repel Fulham but not Newcastle). Tony, Barber and CH would know this and would therefore be reluctant to give any assurances (so on tonight's evidence we can assume its true).

Secondly, he had a good season just gone but in a poor team and, goals aside (which do matter I accept), he got sent off stupidly, got caught out of position quite a lot, made some terrible passes and had only just recovered from the court case that had a negative impact on our best season at the Amex. He also has a few other flaws in common with all young players and, like all other young players, you can never be sure whether they will overcome these or plateau. Bridcutt and Buckley have hardly set the Prem alight, even under the mighty Gus!

When at Uni in Bradford in the nineties, there was a very similar player at Bradford City in Andy O'Brien. Looked every bit the hot young prospect from Harrogate (so local too). He was bought by Newcastle and had 3/4 steady if unremarkable seasons. He always seemed to me to be the type of centre half who worked best with a more experienced, senior player. Essentially, Bradford got the right money and the player got to reach his optimum level for about 3 seasons. Who could moan at either party for that?

In short, that's where I think Dunk is...and £5m for a player at that stage of his career is a good price. We all thought £8m+ for Leo was an excellent price and I think that a £5m fee would be in line with that. Replacing the player is a different issue and one I agree we have failed on, but we cant stop players having ambition.

After one of the depressing home games late last season (I forget which one tbh), I met Dunk in the Pycombe Services. We had a brief 2-3 min chat and I got the feeling that he felt loyalty to his hometown club but that the court case had given him a much more acute sense of the fragility of his career and how easily a player can lose all of the opportunity that comes with the talent that they are lucky enough to have.

Based on that, if Newcastle or another Prem club came in I think he would take the opportunity without hesitation.

From our perspective it would be a shame but with hindsight we probably lost more when we sold Elphick and Cook and there was less fuss.

If he goes, I hope the fans and NSC refrain from the usual Barber, Bloom, CH, Recruitment and Player slating and realise that there is probably nothing they can do to prevent it if certain clauses are met. If I was his agent, I would have insisted upon such clauses during the last contract negotiations. Furthermore, I would have been doing my job well....ensuring that I created the most flexible opportunities for my client.

Right I think that's it....first post in ages/partly drunken stream of consciousness over.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if its the right money and we can get a replacemnt (an experienced replacement) otherwise rely on Rea or Dallinson who are coming along very nicely
I would rather the club held on to him but 5m + would bring in someone, maybe better

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
In simple terms, CBs are easier to find than offensive players, and cheaper. If we can unload for £5m and use funds to ensure we get Murphy and/or Marshall plus replacing him then it is a slam Dunk deal as far as I can see.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
In simple terms, CBs are easier to find than offensive players, and cheaper. If we can unload for £5m and use funds to ensure we get Murphy and/or Marshall plus replacing him then it is a slam Dunk deal as far as I can see.

Somewhat more pithy than my post! - but in essence, that's the point i'm making.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He's a good defender at this level, but perhaps he does need to step up in order to reach his potential, and I'm sure nobody would hold it against him if he did decide to leave for Newcastle. Fulham would be a little less understandable..

Mind you, I don't see where he would fit into Newcastle's team, as they already have Coloccini, Lascelles, Mbemba (the Benjamin Button guy), Taylor, Williamson and Good competing for CB spots. Maybe they'll send a CB the other way?

If we've got 2 quality new centre backs lined-up and can complete the deal for Marshall with the money that comes in for him, I'd be happy for it to go ahead.

However, It'd be a shame to lose one of the few academy graduates that have made it through to become a first-team regular in recent seasons, irrespective of how much he goes for.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
When we sell players for a big price they tend not to be replaced which would be a worry.
That said defenders are easier to come by than attacking players.
£5m is a lot but then we can charge the english player premium - by that same token we should be able to pick up a johnny foreigner for a fraction of the price.

EDIT:

This is sorta what has already been said on here already so apologies for not quoting

Stumpy Tim

I don't think many people would begrudge him a move to Newcastle for £5m-7m, which I think Barber would hold out for. The fans inexplicably voting Calderon as POTY last season didn't send a great message in my opinion.

As has been said by others, I have more faith in Rea and Dallison to step up as at least third/fourth choices. Would rather spend £1m on a defensive replacement and £4m on wingers

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When he's good, he is, very, very good, but he does seem to lack concentration, lacks pace and isn't a premier league player just yet. I don't particularly want him to go to Fulham or anyone until we have a replacement, but at least we know that when we play against him, he may 'dive in' or go wandering.

Given in other threads earlier in the summer I said I would have taken £2.5m, £5m seem like a no-brainer to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think many people would begrudge him a move to Newcastle for £5m-7m, which I think Barber would hold out for. The fans inexplicably voting Calderon as POTY last season didn't send a great message in my opinion.
As has been said by others, I have more faith in Rea and Dallison to step up as at least third/fourth choices. Would rather spend £1m on a defensive replacement and £4m on wingers

The trouble is Dunk was awful in the latter part of the season and that was fresh in everyone's mind.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
In answer to the original question yes we should. For me dunk is another (like Barnes) you don't know what you are missing until they have gone

He was exceptional for us last season and selling a part of one of the crucial partnerships in our team with the season underway would be disruptive. This and we have no guarantee we would bring in someone of equal quality

I think the club will sell him but am I pleased about it no I am not

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There is nothing wrong with selling your players when someone offers more than you perceive them to be worth - this is how Lyon operated very successfully in the 00's. Their success was that they already had their replacement in the squad, which we don't. So until that is addressed, Dunk should not go anywhere.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Still areas for dunk to improve on - too many bookings/sending offs/ bans and the astute teams let him carry the ball out of defence (as they did with El abd) then mis place a pass Leaving him stranded and Greer with a one on one. Good player with potential but £5m would buy two good players.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He wasn't great second half of the season and Halford was preferred over him towards the end.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If Dunk goes to a premier club for £5million plus add ons maybe player exchange as well I would understand it, however I would rather we keep him as I think he'll be worth more by the end of this season. I think he will score 8 to 10 goals this season.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Until/if we become established in the Premier League we will be a selling club.

Dunk as a homegrown English CB should/could easily command a fee that is appropriate for his standing. £5m plus add ons seems appropriate but I just don't think we should accept that from a Championship club. There is a reason Ipswich think that represents good value for money having lost their own version to Arsenal for £8m (Tyrone Mings) and that reason is that they think there's value in paying £5m for him.

Surely his ambition can be matched by the Albion rather than either of Dulham or Ipswich?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here