Dan Harding signs for Eastleigh

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, but not the time to laugh at him, having read that.

Tough thing to be going through, for him, and especially his wife.

He also turned down Pompey.
At the end of last season if you would have asked me, I would never have thought I would be retiring from full professional football at age 31. Early on I had a few offers from different clubs, one being Portsmouth. Don’t get me wrong Portsmouth is a big club and I would imagine they are going to do very well this season but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I had the best three years of my life at saints and I still consider myself a fan. It would not have felt right for me to sign for them.

Jimmy Grimble

Dan has invested the money he's made from football seriously well. He won't need to work again so a move like that seems good for him. He is genuinely a very nice bloke as well, despite what some on here might have you believe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would have considered him quite capable at Div 2 level for a team like Portsmouth, Crawley

He is. If you read the article, he turned down League One clubs as he didn't want to uproot his family again, and turned down Portsmouth because of his association and affinity with Saints.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is. If you read the article, he turned down League One clubs as he didn't want to uproot his family again, and turned down Portsmouth because of his association and affinity with Saints.

I read the article on the other thread and saw that he had turned down Portsmouth being a Saints fan so perhaps money is not a problem for him but I wouldnt have considered that a wise move for his families future well being and financial stability. If it was to a team anywhere in the south from Exeter to Gillingham and as far north as Oxford he wouldnt needed to have uprooted his family he could have commuted daily as Harry Rednap has done from Poole to London for many years.

Obviousl;y he is happy to drop out of full time football at 31 yrs old.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I read the article on the other thread and saw that he had turned down Portsmouth being a Saints fan so perhaps money is not a problem for him but I wouldnt have considered that a wise move for his families future well being and financial stability. If it was to a team anywhere in the south from Exeter to Gillingham and as far north as Oxford he wouldnt needed to have uprooted his family he could have commuted daily as Harry Rednap has done from Poole to London for many years.

Obviousl;y he is happy to drop out of full time football at 31 yrs old.

1. He is already financially secure
2. Eastleigh very likely pay MORE than clubs like Exeter and Oxford, anyway - James Constable didn't move from Oxford for the scenery.
3. Eastleigh ARE full time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. He is already financially secure
2. Eastleigh very likely pay MORE than clubs like Exeter and Oxford, anyway - James Constable didn't move from Oxford for the scenery.
3. Eastleigh ARE full time.

I accept that as I know for a fact Clive Walker earned more at Woking than he ever did at Brighton. Perhaps it is my ideology that I would want to play League football as long as possible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I accept that as I know for a fact Clive Walker earned more at Woking than he ever did at Brighton. Perhaps it is my ideology that I would want to play League football as long as possible.

Wait. Clive Walker earned more at non league Woking than he did knocking on the door of the highest division. Excuse me if I don't believe you (again).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps it is my ideology that I would want to play League football as long as possible.

Fair enough - Harding has explained his reasons, which are understandable. Also, I think these days there is a much less distinct divide between the 4 top leagues and the conference - its really not much of a drop from a L2 side to a top Conference side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wait. Clive Walker earned more at non league Woking than he did knocking on the door of the highest division. Excuse me if I don't believe you (again).

That is your perogative but at the time we didnt pay high wages. In fact I know of a goalkeeper who was offered £120 per game as back up keeper and chose to stay playing for St Albans and driving for the post office as he got more money

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is you perogative but at the time we didnt pay high wages. In fact I know of a goalkeeper who was offered £120 per game as back up keeper and chose to stay playing for St Albans and driving for the post office as he got more money

:lolol: FFS! :lolol:

Do you believe every nonsensical titbit you're told?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
:lolol: FFS! :lolol:

Do you believe every nonsensical titbit you're told?

I know that is 100% true, unlike you guessing. I also personally took a non league full back to the club and they offered him less than he was earning as a painter and decorator. Those days players didnt earn top money only at top clubs which we were not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know that is 100% true, unlike you guessing.
Chinny reckon. :lolol: I'm sure Clive Walker told you with no word of a lie, exactly what he was earning at both clubs.

I also personally took a non league full back to the club and they offered him less than he was earning as a painter and decorator.
More believable. Probably just because the club thought he was shit and you didn't?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair enough by Dan Harding. Good luck to him. Pity he wasn't as committed to us as he was to the Stains, but hey, that's ancient history. Liked this bit on the Eastligh website:

Forwards
Yemi Odubade
James Constable
Ross Lafayette
Jack Midson
Tony Lee
Own Goal!!!
Lee Peacock

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can recall when Tickle the only player in the team apparently capable of making an intelligent attacking pass. We got over half a million for him, which wasn't bad. His rant seems heartfelt, and I wish him and his family all the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here