Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I live in a house with an odd number......does it mean that if

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Sussex Police take up Leicester Police barmy idea that if I am burgled they won't turn up to take forensic, or statement etc.

If that is the case surely it is telling (i) burglars to target odd numbered houses only as they have a better chance of getting away with it.

(ii) Insurance companies that as I have no chance of recovering my goods, they should put my premiums up.

Does any public body think anything through these days?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex Police take up Leicester Police barmy idea that if I am burgled they won't turn up to take forensic, or statement etc.

If that is the case surely it is telling (i) burglars to target odd numbered houses only as they have a better chance of getting away with it.

(ii) Insurance companies that as I have no chance of recovering my goods, they should put my premiums up.

I read that story and thought WTF like most people.

But actually, if you read it in depth, what it's saying is that the police, as a rule, have been turning up to burglaries, spending time taking statements and ordering forensic examinations even in cases where there is (a) no chance of finding forensic evidence and thus (b) identifying the persons responsible, simply because that is the policy for domestic burglaries. Which I guess is a pretty inefficient use of time & resources (and money).

Sounds like all they did is, in cases where the above applied, i.e. there was no chance of identifying a suspect due to lack of evidence, decided not to bother going through the charade of taking statements and examining the scene, using some sort of arbitrary criteria (even numbered houses) as an experiment, to see if it made any different to the figures. It wasn't made public prior to the experiment, so wouldn't have had the slightest effect on burglars or insurance companies.

Strange way of calculating things, but it does vaguely make sense once you give it some thought. A simple call to the aggrieved party should be able to establish what sort of burglary has occurred, and whether it's worth sending the CSI guys over, rather than automatically despatching them. Should also be noted that victims who were deemed vulnerable, such as the elderly, would be visited anyway, as a matter of course, whether there was evidence to be gathered or not.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Strange way of calculating things, but it does vaguely make sense once you give it some thought. A simple call to the aggrieved party should be able to establish what sort of burglary has occurred, and whether it's worth sending the CSI guys over, rather than automatically despatching them. Should also be noted that victims who were deemed vulnerable, such as the elderly, would be visited anyway, as a matter of course, whether there was evidence to be gathered or not.

Surely all victims were "vulnerable"?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Poor summary, they could easily change odd or even at random so only they knew

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
With all due respect to our Police, how does a phone call gauge whether its worth taking forensics or not, surely only a trained officer can do that not a bloke that answers the phone. Everyone should be entitled to the same level of help after a crime has been committed.
All this will do is lower the feeling between the public and police even further as people will feel the police cannot be bothered with their case.
I understand the police are stretched and are feeling the pinch the same as anyone else, but making this public does seem rather stupid.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely all victims were "vulnerable"?

I hear you. But some are clearly far more vulnerable than others. Being burgled is always a shit experience, but a forty something man (for example) might understand quite easily that, if there are no witnesses and no prospect of forensic evidence, then there's little point in the police turning up and taking up two hours of his time taking a statement and dusting his entire house for non existent fingerprints. He may well accept that in a phone conversation when he originally rings it in.

A ninety year old lady, living on her own, on the other hand, might be so traumatised by it that it's important she gets visited by police even if there is zero chance of catching the offenders.

The skill of the call takers is in identifying those who would require that additional service, as clearly some grannies might be absolutely fine, and there might be big burly blokes who, for whatever reason, might be particularly vulnerable instead. Does that make more sense?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With all due respect to our Police, how does a phone call gauge whether its worth taking forensics or not, surely only a trained officer can do that not a bloke that answers the phone. Everyone should be entitled to the same level of help after a crime has been committed.

Everyone's entitled to it. It doesn't mean they all want it.

If there is doubt from a phone call, then an officer would go around anyway to establish it for themselves. Once there, they might or might not call CSI, or take a statement, based on what they find. That's what the report was saying. Also, not all burglaries involve people creeping around your house in the dead of night or whatever. Somebody reaching through an open window to nick your car keys or a wallet: that's also a burglary under the law. But extremely unlikely to leave any physical trace worth examining.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Somebody reaching through an open window to nick your car keys or a wallet: that's also a burglary under the law. But extremely unlikely to leave any physical trace worth examining.
From my understanding of CSI, it would be a simple plaster mold in the soil to get his footprint, a few minutes on the computer to find out the brand and model of the footwear, which would probably be a limited edition trainer with some unique scratches on it. Within an hour I expect we'd have a photo of the perpetrator, who is probably involved in a gang (we'd call it a crime syndicate, but we know it's just a gang) that's waiting for a shipment of powder at the cement works in Shoreham. They'd be armed and would resist arrest so we'd have to shoot them all. We'd be home in time for tea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From my understanding of CSI, it would be a simple plaster mold in the soil to get his footprint, a few minutes on the computer to find out the brand and model of the footwear, which would probably be a limited edition trainer with some unique scratches on it. Within an hour I expect we'd have a photo of the perpetrator, who is probably involved in a gang (we'd call it a crime syndicate, but we know it's just a gang) that's waiting for a shipment of powder at the cement works in Shoreham. They'd be armed and would resist arrest so we'd have to shoot them all. We'd be home in time for tea.

Exactly right.

Don't fall for Edna's misinformation.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

You forgot the vitally important delivery of a pithy quip, ideally including the involvement of a pair of sunglasses.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You forgot the vitally important delivery of a pithy quip, ideally including the involvement of a pair of sunglasses.
I'm new, there's much I have to learn.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well I've seen the Telly and all they need to do is run the criminals profile through their computer and it will tell them exactly who to arrest, I really don't know why it takes our police so long to do everything, in The Bill they nearly always got their man inside an hours episode.
#bringbackreghollis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here