Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's happened to all the trialists?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Reading the Blackburn forum and noticed that they talk about the trialists they've had and whether they'll sign them etc and it made me wonder, how come we don't have any trialists these days?

In fact I can't remember the last trialist we had during the summer window! Anyone? (no doubt I'm missing someone from this or last summer!)

Is it because we don't need to have any trialists in as we know exactly who we need to get? Is it only for clubs that are stretched financially?

I remember during the penny pinching days we used to have a couple of trialists playing in each friendly but not many were actually taken on, but not these days.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Tend to have more trialists play for the development squad now I guess. The striker from Tottenham we signed is the last one I can remember.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Is it possible that we've had triallists train with us during the pre-season without it being mentioned anywhere?

We've managed to keep transfers quiet enough so I wouldn't put it past the club to pull it off.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Given the little I've seen of him, he not only looks impressive, but also precisely what we need (i.e. a quick, orthodox right-winger that can score goals), I'm pleased to report that he's not a trialist. See:

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-and-hove-albion-from-chlemsford-2479412.aspx

Last trialist I can remember was Nicky Shorey.

Yeah Nicky Shorey, I think your right. Obviously we're (presuming) always having trialists for the Dev squad, but there certainly appears to be a dearth of them training/playing with the first team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the little I've seen of him, he not only looks impressive, but also precisely what we need (i.e. a quick, orthodox right-winger that can score goals), I'm pleased to report that he's not a trialist. See:

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-and-hove-albion-from-chlemsford-2479412.aspx

Last trialist I can remember was Nicky Shorey.

Err - from the article you have linked:

Ward struck ten goals in 44 appearances for Chelmsford last season, and his form earned him a two-match trial with Albion's under-21.

Having impressed during his time on trial, Albion subsequently agreed terms with Chelmsford and the player; he signed at the Amex yesterday afternoon following a medical.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Err - from the article you have linked:

:ohmy:
I must always read the articles I link
:blush:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Blackburn are currently at least under a FFP transfer embargo which is curtailing their incoming transfer business. This explains why they are being linked with triallists, loanees etc. Here's a piece about them being linked with Adam Le Fondre.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_targets_new_signings/
"“Adam was on loan at Bolton and now he’s still a Cardiff player so, at this moment in time, there’s nothing in that from our end.”
Rovers are currently under an embargo after failing Financial Fair Play.
That means the only way they could sign Le Fondre, who is also said to be interesting Sheffield Wednesday, is on loan or if the Bluebirds released him from the final two years of his contract."

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Reading the Blackburn forum and noticed that they talk about the trialists they've had and whether they'll sign them etc and it made me wonder, how come we don't have any trialists these days?

In fact I can't remember the last trialist we had during the summer window! Anyone? (no doubt I'm missing someone from this or last summer!)

Is it because we don't need to have any trialists in as we know exactly who we need to get? Is it only for clubs that are stretched financially?

I remember during the penny pinching days we used to have a couple of trialists playing in each friendly but not many were actually taken on, but not these days.

Richie Welch (who came up through the Eastbourne Borough academy, but has moved to Lewes this summer - he played AGAINST Albion on 18 July), played FOR the Albion U-18s in their friendly against Shoreham the other day.

And last summer, all the following were on trial at some point (some subsequently signed, some moved on):-

George Cole
Ibou Touray
Daniel Pappoe
King (possibly Tom King, a goalkeeper released by Palace)
Thomas Amegnaglo
Roderigue N'Diane
Paddy McCourt

And, through the course of last season, we had the following on trial:-

Albion Ademi
Chike Kandi
Kieran Sadlier
Alou Diarra
Jeremy Balmy
Owen Moore
Adam Drury
Daniel Akindayini
Joe Ward

So, I reckon we do okay when it comes to trialists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here