Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cult Advice

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Looking for a bit of advice from the sages of NSC - lady at work has a 23 year old son who is in the mid stages of being sucked into a cult - something called the Xi Wellness Centre. In short it was a stereotypical situation you read about where he was on his own in London, just split up with his girlfriend and lost his job when he found these new 'friends'. It began with paying for meditation classes and then grew into paying all his savings over for 'ancestral healing' curing him of the sins of past generations etc. The next stage is for him to become a 'master' by going on training in South Korea (all self funded of course) and moving into their centre in London where they live and work - again without pay.

Clearly all his family apart from him see this for what it is but his mum is totally lost as to where to turn for advice - apart from the Cult Information Centre on the internet which in itself seems slightly suspect - does anyone have any advice or experience in this area - for instance is there an official/police type line for her to pursue?

Thanks for any help

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Looking for a bit of advice from the sages of NSC - lady at work has a 23 year old son who is in the mid stages of being sucked into a cult - something called the Xi Wellness Centre. In short it was a stereotypical situation you read about where he was on his own in London, just split up with his girlfriend and lost his job when he found these new 'friends'. It began with paying for meditation classes and then grew into paying all his savings over for 'ancestral healing' curing him of the sins of past generations etc. The next stage is for him to become a 'master' by going on training in South Korea (all self funded of course) and moving into their centre in London where they live and work - again without pay.

Clearly all his family apart from him see this for what it is but his mum is totally lost as to where to turn for advice - apart from the Cult Information Centre on the internet which in itself seems slightly suspect - does anyone have any advice or experience in this area - for instance is there an official/police type line for her to pursue?

Thanks for any help

This does not sound good.

Have you found any sort of presence of the organisation on the internet because nothing comes up on the search engines which is surprising unless they are very new?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd say stop at Sonic Temple.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Important to understand that people, no matter what age, can have mental vulnerabilities that draw them to such 'hope'. It's important to engage him and not judge him. What is insanity to us is a very real solution to him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love is probably my favourite.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Take him on holiday and get him as far away from those creeps as possible.

God what an awful situation, I can't imagine how hard that must be on the parents.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Sounds like a modern incarnation of Scientology and Dianetcs training. Televangelists often use a similar model of cash grabbing on vulnerable people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depends if he believes it or not. I doubt that he is thinking rationally.
They just have to try their best to be loving and supportive, and to show him the light. Failing that, I know a guy...

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
thanks everyone - i agree - she is feeling like she has lost her son - wants to be both supportive but also shout at him and make him realise what the cult is all about. Such a tough situation.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
There Are authoritive books on the subject of helping a family member in this situation . I would recommend a writer called Steven Hassan , who has written on 'mind control' . He can be found on the net also . I believe charities exist too.

It is true that this can happen to anyone who fails to keep up a guard of critical thinking ( commonly known as a bullshit monitor) I had past experience of Jehovah's Witnesses, who are often regarded as a cult ..

Good luck to the lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here