Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(OT) anyone got a property in Spain ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I've had s bid accepted on a villa in Spain so popping over in the next couple of days to pay deposit etc.
Gonna use it as a holiday home and rent it out to friends and family. It's in the mazarron area.
Wondered what you do regarding bills etc?
You setting up standing orders to pay utility bills, council tax etc
If you have a place over there, where's your home?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yup - got a place in Vejer de la Frontera (Cadiz). You will need to get an NIE number if you haven't already and set up a Spanish bank account and all your bills will be paid by direct debit from that account.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Yup - got a place in Vejer de la Frontera (Cadiz). You will need to get an NIE number if you haven't already and set up a Spanish bank account and all your bills will be paid by direct debit from that account.

Exactly that, plus your Spanish solicitor [you're not buying a place without one I trust?] will get the NIE number for you. NIE number is the Spanish equivalent of NI number. You need it for most things when dealing with authority and buying and selling major items. Don't forget at the same time to have a will drawn up for all property, effects, money etc that is in Spain. Under new EU ruling you should insist that the will includes the EU ruling that your estate is dealt under UK law. Very important otherwise you have to accept Spanish succession law!!

Good luck, and make sure your solicitor speaks fluent English.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I had one near Alicante for ten years but recently sold it and was very lucky to get out without a financial loss.
Depending on your age probably good time to buy prices very low.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Weird story that sums up Spain and the financial situation it is in.
Worked in Majorca and earnt on paper £500 month (a lot more but in cash). Got a mortgage for £600 month!
When we sold the apartment we were taken to the official office to exchange all paperwork. Me and my agent, buyer with their agent and bank official and the officer overseeing proceedings and taking the governments cut. We were told the officer would 'excuse himself' halfway through, which he did. At that point my agent asked for their fees 'in cash'. The bank official paid me half the money for the apartment 'in cash'. The officer came back saying something like 'all sorted' and we carried on doing the deal. We all walked out with pockets full of cash and the tax man got a fraction of what he should have.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Probably too late & too far along the coast but a good starting point for Costa Del Sol are the English qualified & bilingual Surveyors/Building Society/Banks/Solicitors based in Gibralter

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's in the mazarron area.

It's a lovely area. My in-laws have a place in Bolnuevo. We're going down there at the end of the month. Are you in Mazarron port or town?

No idea about bills, etc, but it sounds like others have helped on that anyway.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It's a lovely area. My in-laws have a place in Bolnuevo. We're going down there at the end of the month. Are you in Mazarron port or town?

No idea about bills, etc, but it sounds like others have helped on that anyway.

It's in the El Saladillo area so just outside the main town

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Got a place at La Zenia, Costa Blanca. Think it's a good time to buy. Building is starting to pick up again and the strong pound v the euro is making the cost of living very reasonable for us Brits. Enjoy!

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Spain is a brilliant place to own a property if you live here.
If you are only holidaying you can get ripped off left right and centre.
Get a very,very good solicitor to look after your interests.
I have lived here for many years,but wouldn't dream of buying another property to let out.
Spain is looking to make as much as it can by classing all holiday homes as being rentals.So don't be shocked if you are taxed on projected income if your house was being rented out for 52 weeks of the year.
I'm sure your solicitors have told you this?

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have lived here for many years,but wouldn't dream of buying another property to let out.
Spain is looking to make as much as it can by classing all holiday homes as being rentals.So don't be shocked if you are taxed on projected income if your house was being rented out for 52 weeks of the year.
Very much this.
After years of losing revenue to cash working, Spain is looking to claw back everything it can, plus any more. Some of the new invented taxes on property ownership are a little cheeky to say the least

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Weird story that sums up Spain and the financial situation it is in.
Worked in Majorca and earnt on paper £500 month (a lot more but in cash). Got a mortgage for £600 month!
When we sold the apartment we were taken to the official office to exchange all paperwork. Me and my agent, buyer with their agent and bank official and the officer overseeing proceedings and taking the governments cut. We were told the officer would 'excuse himself' halfway through, which he did. At that point my agent asked for their fees 'in cash'. The bank official paid me half the money for the apartment 'in cash'. The officer came back saying something like 'all sorted' and we carried on doing the deal. We all walked out with pockets full of cash and the tax man got a fraction of what he should have.

Black money they call that. I had to pay a % when I bought it from the builder and I was paid a % cash in hand when I sold it.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Great advice, it's going to be just a holiday home, not to be rented out, we're still gonna live here in Brighton.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here