Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BZ image rights

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I like cult zeroes footie t shirts, they do caricatures of players of just about any club, and you can add your own strap line text. So I went on yesterday to make my BZ shirt, only to be told that th club owns the image rights of BZ and they are not allowed to add him to their list of thousands of players on their stock. Sounds like th club will be fiercely protective of his image, maybe we just hired him to generate merchandising revenue?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I like cult zeroes footie t shirts, they do caricatures of players of just about any club, and you can add your own strap line text. So I went on yesterday to make my BZ shirt, only to be told that th club owns the image rights of BZ and they are not allowed to add him to their list of thousands of players on their stock. Sounds like th club will be fiercely protective of his image, maybe we just hired him to generate merchandising revenue?
I hoped we signed him to score a few goals and bring others into play add some fight into the dressing room and to pass on his vast experience of PL football onto some of the younger players, not just to sell a shirt or two.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438758928.370159.jpg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Whilst a shame in this day and age it's the right thing for the club to do.

Would imagine that image rights might well represent a chunk of change to BZ too as recompense for having given up bigger wage packets elsewhere.

Just a shame that it takes away the creative freedom of fans. (I was going to buy one...)

el punal

I refer you to my post of 'Very Astute Move By The Club'. Apart from maybe getting hit or miss performances on the pitch by BZ, the impact of his signing has not only generated a huge feel-good factor among fans but the club will probably take advantage and indulge in as much marketing/merchandising as possible. Stands to reason that they are going to protect their 'asset'.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well done The Albion. I have tried to explain to any naysayers I see, that this signing is as much about the commercial side as the playing side. He won't score a hatful of goals like the old Bobby but, he'll score a few, make a few more, give the club a lift, start a bit of pre-season buzz and anticipation and probably shift more shirts with his name on than the shop can cope with. If the club plans to sell Zamora merchandise, T- shirts etc to capitolise and help fund the deal either directly or indirectly with Bobby, then I applaud every aspect of this deal. Barber in!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely pathetic. Another example of the club acting "big time" despite us not being Premier League.

Have the club ever made a polo about a player worth buying?

Is the average cult zeroes buyer really going to look for a (non customisable) 20 quid t-shirt from the club shop instead?

*sigh* Barbernomics in play rather than common sense these days. All about the money, nothing else. Fair play if it makes us cash, but I'd wager it won't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst a shame in this day and age it's the right thing for the club to do.

Would imagine that image rights might well represent a chunk of change to BZ too as recompense for having given up bigger wage packets elsewhere.

Just a shame that it takes away the creative freedom of fans. (I was going to buy one...)

Me too. I'll have to get in quick for a Calde one, before the club embargoes him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely pathetic. Another example of the club acting "big time" despite us not being Premier League.

Really ? What exactly has happened here. We only know via one tweet from Cult Zeroes.

The club have been to my knowledge have never stopped the sale of these very good independent shirts
http://www.tslr.bigcartel.com/

and Cult Zero have been selling albion shirts for years without any restrictions afaik with many still on sale
http://www.cultzeros.co.uk/product/20632/rohan-ince-brighton-and-hove-albion/
http://www.cultzeros.co.uk/product/19275/vicente-rodriguez-brighton-hove-albion/
http://www.cultzeros.co.uk/product/14350/inigo-calderon-brighton-hove-albion/

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Make your own 'Cult Heros' style image then get your own t-shirt printed by someone like Vistaprint. Problem solved and you'll have a unique item.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Initially, I thought that, while this is a shame, it's perfectly reasonable for the club (&/or Bobby himself) to protect Bobby's image rights. After all, it's a revenue stream for one or both of them.

So - I thought I'd check out equally big name stars (*inserts tongue in cheek*) - CR and Messi. Both are on the site. Hmmm.

Ah OK - it must be that the website isn't known in Spain. If I check big English names - they'll be blocked too. Rooney and Terry. Both on the site too. HMMMM.

Whoever has asked the website to remove Bobby's image has played a "fail", imo. If images of the 4 players I mention above are available on the site, it's hard to see why Bobby's isn't.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Initially, I thought that, while this is a shame, it's perfectly reasonable for the club (&/or Bobby himself) to protect Bobby's image rights. After all, it's a revenue stream for one or both of them.

So - I thought I'd check out equally big name stars (*inserts tongue in cheek*) - CR and Messi. Both are on the site. Hmmm.

Ah OK - it must be that the website isn't known in Spain. If I check big English names - they'll be blocked too. Rooney and Terry. Both on the site too. HMMMM.

Whoever has asked the website to remove Bobby's image has played a "fail", imo. If images of the 4 players I mention above are available on the site, it's hard to see why Bobby's isn't.

Unless they pay royalties to the other players?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here