Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking Ban in Brighton

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On 20th July it was widely reported that the council were discussing a smoking ban on Brighton beach but havent seen any further news . What was the outcome?

Personally I think the law should be like California smoking banned in any public area, but then I would being a reformed heavy smoker. I dont know that I would have packed up without a surgeons advice so would probably have thought differently.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The council are asking for our views on this. The survey closes in October.

http://consult.brighton-hove.gov.uk/portal/bhcc/ehl/smoke_free/smoke_free_areas

Smokefree areas

We want your views on whether we should extend smokefree spaces in the city.

Smoking is the primary cause of preventable illness and premature death in the United Kingdom, accounting for over 80,000 deaths a year.

Workplaces and substantially enclosed public areas in England have been smokefree by law since July 2007.

This means that it is against the law to tobacco smoke in the indoor parts of places such as pubs, bars, nightclubs, cafes and restaurants, lunchrooms, membership clubs and shopping centres.

Tobacco smoking in cars carrying children will also be banned on the 1st October 2015.

This survey will help the Council understand public opinion on Tobacco smoking and whether it should be extended to outdoor public areas.

The Council already have a voluntary ban on smoking in children’s play areas.

The results of this survey will be reported to the Council's Health and Wellbeing Board later in the year, so that a decision can be made on extending smokefree areas and the possible design of the scheme.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and it will be ignored. while its legal leave it alone, gone too far already. there's no real health angle to banning in public, just harassment.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
ban sale of tobacco, job done?

The industry will bleat on about jobs lost, taxes paid etc.. but just think how much fitter, healthier we will all be- far LESS sickies, more productive staff, and less strain / expense for NHS, who can then treat proper illnesses..

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The council are asking for our views on this. The survey closes in October.

http://consult.brighton-hove.gov.uk/portal/bhcc/ehl/smoke_free/smoke_free_areas

Smokefree areas

We want your views on whether we should extend smokefree spaces in the city.

I have already taken part in the survey and voiced my objections. The ban on the beach is not the touristy, central section in Brighton, but the entire beach from the Soutwick border in the west through to Saltdean in the east. Authorities of any kind should look to enforce current legislation and not add to pointless bureaucracy with entirely unenforceable edicts. It really is the Big Brother notion of trying to change peoples' behaviour by thought control.

But what has been less publicised is the plan to bring the same nanny state 'rules' to bear on private businesses. The council are also proposing 'banning' smoking from beer gardens and outside spaces in pubs and restaurants. Once again this edict would have no legal basis but will just pander to those who think that they always know best. Give up your freedom everybody cos there will ALWAYS be somebody else who thinks they know better than you.

On 20th July it was widely reported that the council were discussing a smoking ban on Brighton beach but havent seen any further news . What was the outcome?

Personally I think the law should be like California smoking banned in any public area, but then I would being a reformed heavy smoker. I dont know that I would have packed up without a surgeons advice so would probably have thought differently.

No outcome yet as the survey is ongoing. As an ex 20 a day smoker I really do not feel the need to impose my wishes over and above those who choose to participate in what I used to do. There is no proven evidence of outdoor smoking harming anyone other than the smoker.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think they'd get a lot of support if they were to ban smoking on, for example, the beaches either side of the Palace Pier.

It's very hypocritical that successive governments have constantly gone on about the heath risks but don't ban tobacco sales altogether because they need the money.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agreed, Although I suppose I come at this from a different angle to you, (never having been a smoker myself). I just find everything connected to the habit, from the health issues to the detritus it leaves behind, totally disgusting.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Don't smoke and couldn't afford to either. But I think a polite sign post to remind smokers to be aware of people around them would suffice. Most people are decent and I don't see any problem at all with somebody enjoying a cigarette if the smoke isn't disturbing anyone around.

Perhaps a simple solution might be smokers one side of the pier and non smokers the other?

Don't smoke and couldn't afford to either. But I think a polite sign post to remind smokers to be aware of people around them would suffice. Most people are decent and I don't see any problem at all with somebody enjoying a cigarette if the smoke isn't disturbing anyone around.

Perhaps a simple solution might be smokers one side of the pier and non smokers the other?

That's just respiratory cleansing!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Ban this, ban that, ban everything!
What a load of bo----ks and I am a non smoker.

Yep. There's a dozen other things that people do in public that I don't like, whistling for instance, but is this really the direction we want to go in?

A bit of curtesy all round goes a long way!

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
ban sale of tobacco, job done?

The industry will bleat on about jobs lost, taxes paid etc.. but just think how much fitter, healthier we will all be- far LESS sickies, more productive staff, and less strain / expense for NHS, who can then treat proper illnesses..

LESS sickie? Think more sickies are booze related tbh.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nothing nicer than a clean beach, nothing worse than sitting in everyone's discarded rubbish. Whilst not the worst thing you can encounter, finding a discarded fag butt amongst the sand or shingle is not entirely pleasant. For some reason, many smokers seem to think cigarette ends are a special category of invisible litter.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Brilliant Idea !!
I suggest the smokers go on the south side

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was sat on a seat in Burgess Hill yesterday outisde studio 21 and watched an elderly lady stub her cigarrete out on the ground and grind it into the ground, There was a litter bin next to the seat. A previous girlfriend of one of my sons got an £80 fine for doing the same in Crawley issued by a litter patrol operator.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Smoking is the primary cause of preventable illness and premature death in the United Kingdom, accounting for over 80,000 deaths a year."

As always, the anti smoking lobby like to add a bit of hysteria to their propaganda.

80,000 deaths a year 9sometimes tenuously) attributable to smoking - most deaths will be among 70 and 80 and 90 year olds, a far greater percentage of whom will have smoked at some time in their lives than now - smoking was the norm back in their young days.

So that's 80,000 deaths a year, now, a number rapidly declining as more and more old people who die in the future will never have smoked, or only for a short while before giving up.

80,000 deaths a year blamed on smoking, a number soon to be rapidly overhauled by the number of deaths from obesity. I know, why don't we ban fat people from the beaches?

I'm a non-smoker, by the way - just all the hysteria drummed up by the anti-smoking lobby gets on my tits.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Funny how people jump on the smoking bandwagon yet forget that alcohol also wrecks lives and kills people. I personally would much rather see someone having a smoke on the street corner than a violent aggressive drunk.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
What a load of bollocks, complete waste of time. what next a ban on sun bathing? a charge for going in the water? just let people live there lives ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here