Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer man for a small office set up (recommendation please)

I'm going to have to spend a few quid at work in the next couple of months and would rather not spunk my doh at PC world or an online purchase with no support.

We currently have 2 x networked Windows 7 PC's. Ones OK and ones like Leon Best.

Want to buy a new faster PC and have them all on Windows 10. Understand free upgrade on current machines. Will need to transfer everything from old to new one.

Also on the network will be 5 printers.

I also want to buy a top end windows surface with keyboard etc and be able to log into our network when I'm away from the office.

I need someone to flog me new pc and surface and their time getting all bits to talk together

I also want same person to check we have a decent security protection (virus and crap) and also that we have a continuous cloud backup.

We currently subscribe to office 360 which will be good for all the machines.

Finally, I need advice on how we should be configuring our email as I think it should be better than it is currently. Outlook currently but some pop, some IMAP.

Not looking for advice on here or to be told to buy a Mac. But a contact for someone who wants some work September / October and is on call after for any problems would be great.

Thanks

Might be worth putting an ad in pc mags, or tech websites? wiredsussex.co.uk maybe?

Possibly. But 18 months ago when I was hiring I tried the usual routes and eventually managed to offer a NSC user a job (who's still with us) after advertising it on here.

I'm hoping a fellow Albion fan might want the work.

We will see.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm going to have to spend a few quid at work in the next couple of months and would rather not spunk my doh at PC world or an online purchase with no support.

We currently have 2 x networked Windows 7 PC's. Ones OK and ones like Leon Best.

Want to buy a new faster PC and have them all on Windows 10. Understand free upgrade on current machines. Will need to transfer everything from old to new one.

Also on the network will be 5 printers.

I also want to buy a top end windows surface with keyboard etc and be able to log into our network when I'm away from the office.

I need someone to flog me new pc and surface and their time getting all bits to talk together

I also want same person to check we have a decent security protection (virus and crap) and also that we have a continuous cloud backup.

We currently subscribe to office 360 which will be good for all the machines.

Finally, I need advice on how we should be configuring our email as I think it should be better than it is currently. Outlook currently but some pop, some IMAP.

Not looking for advice on here or to be told to buy a Mac. But a contact for someone who wants some work September / October and is on call after for any problems would be great.

Thanks

Sounds like a job for BensGrandad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Want to buy a new faster PC and have them all on Windows 10.

stay with Windows 7 until you have a good business reason to change. you have a year to upgrade, leave it until at least the new year. Windows 10 is free because you are a glorified tester.

also, you wont be able to log to the local network from remote without additional kit, security concerns and setup. is it necessary? sharing data via a cloud service is the obvious solution (and make that different service to the backup). though bear in mind that no internet, no data.

and i'm curious how on earth you need 5 printers?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
stay with Windows 7 until you have a good business reason to change. you have a year to upgrade, leave it until at least the new year. Windows 10 is free because you are a glorified tester.

also, you wont be able to log to the local network from remote without additional kit, security concerns and setup. is it necessary? sharing data via a cloud service is the obvious solution (and make that different service to the backup). though bear in mind that no internet, no data.

and i'm curious how on earth you need 5 printers?

I was wondering this, 2 computer and 5 printers?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
My mate Robert might help..

Bob_the_builder.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here