Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we need ANOTHER striker?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Some suggestions that two were needed befor BZ.

Zamora
Hemed
Baldock
COG
Colunga

Harper
Hambo

I can see COG and Colunga going, would that mean yet another striker is needed?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We need to get rid of COG, and maybe Colunga.
Zamora, Hemed and Baldock will all be able to play with one another as a front two. Hemed and Zamora can play up-front on their own. Harper to come, and the wild card that is Hambo, means we'll be fine losing COG and Col.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we are SERIOUS about mounting a challenge, then yes, I think we do.

BZ and Hemed share one role (with COG sure to leave)
Baldock fills the other and should IMO be BACK UP for it, with a better one added.

The Finnish Zlatan is in reserve / development, hopefully competing by Christmas.

Colunga will leave.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Baldock fills the other and should IMO be BACK UP for it, with a better one added.

The Finnish Zlatan is in reserve / development, hopefully competing by Christmas.

Colunga will leave.

I'd agree with that. I'd still like us to add a poacher. I'm not convinced about Baldock, no idea why many on here think he will do well this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need a competitive supply line for the strikers we already have before buying some more.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

Colunga will leave.

I wonder if BZ is seen mainly as a foil for a main striker now, creating chances for others and linking play, even at his most prolific in terms of goals he was a great creator with a better range of passing or crossing than our most of our midfield. If that was the case it would be another out and out forward we were looking for.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Where is O'Grady going, as I can't see him going until deadline day or a loan deal somewhere. So for us I think it will be a waiting game, I wouldnt mind a loan from a Prem team, however I am not sure there are many out there at the moment. However all hopes will be on Hambo and Harper to step up if nothing transpires which would leave us a little weak.

What is Lee Steele up to?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where is O'Grady going, as I can't see him going until deadline day or a loan deal somewhere.
I wonder whether Sheff Utd's interest has cooled since Nigel Adkins took over?

If they're still interested, it could help facilitate Jamie Murphy coming here I guess.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Colunga will leave.

I think Hemed is a bit of a fox in the box as well as a strong link up player, I think BZ Hemed partnership will work against some hard nut defences.

COG is the only one that I think is worth releasing. With us after width, Colunga can play that wide option if required. I hope we buy at least 1 out and out winger but I think we have enough upfront at the moment.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If CoG and Colunga go then yes, but I would go for a loan rather (sorry for swearing) as cover. The 2 youngsters, if they are as good as we think, will be pushing for places before Christmas, but if there are 4 permies in front of them, their chances will be limited. I would rather we gave them the chance.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I'd like to think we are negotiating hard with Vaz Te but realistically I think we are done.
Currently 7 to choose from (assuming all fit which obv they are not) and even if that gets whittled down to 5 then we are comparatively stronger than last year by a long long way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It would be a big mistake to think that the Bobby we have now, is the same player as the one who played for us in the early noughties. The Premier League has changed him, he isn't the 'will o' the wisp striker' that we knew and loved. Plus of course he is coming to the end of his career.

There aren't nearly as many goals in him now, and he won't be able to play in every match, so yes, yes, most definately we need another striker, and if we are serious about promotion an experienced one at that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It depends on what the aim for the season is. If we're serious about challenging for promotion then yes we need another quality striker. Along with another quality centre back and two quality wingers(who preferably can also play as central attacking midfielders). That's a lot of quality still needed and we all know that comes at a price.

If, on the other hand the aim is to avoid any relegation battles and challenge for the top half of the table, then no, we don't need any more strikers. A journey man centre half would do and we could get away with buying only one winger so long as he is a genuinely decent player.

I hope we go for option A but expect B is the more realistic.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
COG and Colunga should just furk right off earlydoors. With Baldock prob following in January :wave:

In fairness Baldock was the only striker worth keeping from last season as I reckon he's got something to offer in the right formation, As for COG & Clunge what can you say other than "glad you got sacked Burke".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here