Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie ward gassing after 30 secs on the pads with froch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Made me smile he will easily play 90 minutes on friday but could not do 30 seconds pad work without blowing out of his arse :)

Much the same as Froch would be if he tried to run about a football pitch at the pace of a Championship match?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Much the same as Froch would be if he tried to run about a football pitch at the pace of a Championship match?

Boxers tend to have considerably better fitness than footballers although the gap is closing with players acting and training in a far more professional way.

Froch wouldn't be blowing out of his arse with the pace he just couldn't cope with the skill level. Froch can run 5k in about 18 minutes would be interesting to see how that compares to top footballers.

Evander Holyfield used to have a resting heartbeat of below 40, only top cyclist could match or better that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not suprised. Boxing is the hardest sport in terms of fittness. I've seen many footballers struggle with boxing.

Two unique types of fitness, not sure one can compare the two.

Not many pro boxers likely to beat pro footballers over say 20,30,40 metres.

Remember a mate of mine who was an apprentice footballer in the early late 70's early 80's with us and they had Dave Wilkie come in with a TV crew and train with the young players.

I think he was Olympic champion at the time with elite levels of fitness (swimming fitness), they went to 'waterhall' and he couldnt keep up with the most unfit of the young players there, fitness have many facets.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Boxers tend to have considerably better fitness than footballers although the gap is closing with players acting and training in a far more professional way.

Froch wouldn't be blowing out of his arse with the pace he just couldn't cope with the skill level. Froch can run 5k in about 18 minutes would be interesting to see how that compares to top footballers.

Evander Holyfield used to have a resting heartbeat of below 40, only top cyclist could match or better that.

Horses for courses. they are conditioned for totally different things. Im not sure you could say one is 'fitter' than the other. Top TENNIS players for example compete balls out for up to 5 hours, sometimes in searing heat. Could a boxer do that?

The 3m in 18 minutes is nothing special at all. I doubt ANY professional footballers bar the most lumbering of centre backs and a few keepers, would struggle to match that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Horses for courses. they are conditioned for totally different things. Im not sure you could say one is 'fitter' than the other. Top TENNIS players for example compete balls out for up to 5 hours, sometimes in searing heat. Could a boxer do that?

The 3m in 18 minutes is nothing special at all. I doubt ANY professional footballers bar the most lumbering of centre backs and a few keepers, would struggle to match that.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/brighton/results/athletehistory/?athleteNumber=870072

Maybe not an example of a top player, but you would imagine as a forward and a player in his early twenties he would have been quicker. Running at better than 10 miles per hour for 5k isn't as easy you think.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/brighton/results/athletehistory/?athleteNumber=870072

Maybe not an example of a top player, but you would imagine as a forward and a player in his early twenties he would have been quicker. Running at better than 10 miles per hour for 5k isn't as easy you think.

Its as easy (or hard) as it is!

At the age of 20 I could do it comfortably, and I was never remotely close to being a professional sportsman.

Not sure your Toby example is worth much. Its a sample of one, with no context - he could have been jogging round keeping his missus company, or anything!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm a pro boxer and i often have freinds (who play to a fairly high standard of football) come into the gym and will struggle to last one round on the pads. Whenever i have played 5-a-side with them I've shown much higher fitness - they will all confirm that.

I've also seen a few Man City players in the gym giving boxing a go, all with similar rusults.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
admittedly the aerobic demands are different for each sport , but if what the OP says is true , he still shouldnt be gasping after 30 seconds on the pads.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm a pro boxer and i often have freinds (who play to a fairly high standard of football) come into the gym and will struggle to last one round on the pads. Whenever i have played 5-a-side with them I've shown much higher fitness - they will all confirm that.

If you are a professional athlete, of course you are much fitter than your random mates!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The idea that professional footballers these days are considerably less fit than other athletes is about 20 years out of date. As HKFC says, it is all about the type of fitness.

admittedly the aerobic demands are different for each sport , but if what the OP says is true , he still shouldnt be gasping after 30 seconds on the pads.
That's true too. And my bet is that "gasping after 30 seconds" is significant artistic license! There is absolutely no way a professional footballer will be gasping after half a minute FFS.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The idea that professional footballers these days are considerably less fit than other athletes is about 20 years out of date. As HKFC says, it is all about the type of fitness.

That's true too. And my bet is that "gasping after 30 seconds" is significant artistic license! There is absolutely no way a professional footballer will be gasping after half a minute FFS.

I think it's improved over the last twenty years but don't forget LeTissier, Mick Quinn & Neil Ruddock have played top flight football in that time. Certainly the past ten years has seen an incredible change in lifestyle, diet & fitness of top players and unfit luxury players are a thing of the past.

Players like Ronaldo & Bale are incredible athletes, in complete contrast to Guy Butters making his debut for us so out of shape and unfit it was a complete embarrassment.

Different sport but amongst the players at Sussex County Cricket Club they average around the 23 minute mark for a 5k with a few threatening sub 20.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I've also seen a few Man City players in the gym giving boxing a go, all with similar rusults.

Would you have any tips for hitting that level of fitness without padwork? I'm not allowed to spar any more cos of me job.

Nathan Jones posted some phenomenal run time on Twitter before the Sevilla game. Think it was 7km in 26. That pace would have given him an 18:30 parkrun.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Would you have any tips for hitting that level of fitness without padwork? I'm not allowed to spar any more cos of me job.
Nathan Jones posted some phenomenal run time on Twitter before the Sevilla game. Think it was 7km in 26. That pace would have given him an 18:30 parkrun.
you can still do padwork or get on the bag even if youre not allowed to spar .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here