Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough bid 14million for Jordan Rhodes. ffp?

harriri2000

Apr 7, 2011
Reading the paper today to find out the Middlesbrough made a bid of 14million for Jordan Rhodes. One question comes to me how the bloody hell can Middlesbrough afford to buy someone for 14million and still be within the financial fair play rules [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34]

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Reading the paper today to find out the Middlesbrough made a bid of 14million for Jordan Rhodes. One question comes to me how the bloody hell can Middlesbrough afford to buy someone for 14million and still be within the financial fair play rules [emoji34] [emoji34] [emoji34]
Simple answer - they can't. But the revised rules of 39m loss over 3 years means they can go mental for one year and if they don't go up they'll have to have a firesale to stay within three parameters for the next 2 years. It's an eggs in one basket policy.

harriri2000

Apr 7, 2011
Simple answer - they can't. But the revised rules of 39m loss over 3 years means they can go mental for one year and if they don't go up they'll have to have a firesale to stay within three parameters for the next 2 years. It's an eggs in one basket policy.
I hope they bloody fail! And then have to have a mass exit of players

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
QPR are taking the football league to court over this. If they win, it's open season for the millionaires & billionaires who wish to throw away some cash on a Premier League gamble. I very much nope Boro's gamble does not pay off!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

That doesn't start until next season. This season it's a maximum £13m loss.

Of course with QPR happily playing in the Championship (parachute money and all) I don't see anyone particularly caring about about FFP now.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Transfer fees are spread over the course of the contract for FFP if I understand it correctly, so if he signs a five year deal only £2.8 million of the £14 million will go towards their FFP total each year.

Transfer fees are spread over the course of the contract for FFP if I understand it correctly, so if he signs a five year deal only £2.8 million of the £14 million will go towards their FFP total each year.

Exactly this, and it's the same for the company accounts submitted to Companies House. Assuming that Middlesborough complied with the FFP in 2014/15 where the "loss limit" was £7M max then it's obvious how the expenditure on Rhodes (and others) is still within FFP now that the limit has been raised to £13M in 2015/16.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why hasn't Jordan Rhodes ever been taken by a Premier League club?

Bizarre that a player can have such a huge reputation and price tag without ever having kicked a ball in the top flight.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
A- Hes not worth £14M or anything like it!
B- Middlesboro are mad to want to spend £14M on him!
C - Blackburn are stark raving mad not to accept the offer!
The silly season is upon us for sure now! Mind Boggling!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Point C is very much a concern with reference to us prising Marshall from their rank.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the Venky's are playing Chicken on both Marshall and Rhodes :smile:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Probably waiting until end of month to try and squeeze as much out of the deal as possible, for both Marshall and Rhodes.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Probably waiting until end of month to try and squeeze as much out of the deal as possible, for both Marshall and Rhodes.

They wait too long, their value goes down. Buying club has the upper hand on deadline day not the seller.

And yes they'd be mad not to take the £14m for Rhodes, they cannot afford to keep him.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
With the way the Premier League is funding relegated clubs I hope QPR do win their case.

Throw as much bloody money as you can it!! Let the world go mad!!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With the way the Premier League is funding relegated clubs I hope QPR do win their case.

Throw as much bloody money as you can it!! Let the world go mad!!!

Discussing FFP and QPR on radio 5 at mo...90 min program on the football league started 9pm

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why hasn't Jordan Rhodes ever been taken by a Premier League club?

Bizarre that a player can have such a huge reputation and price tag without ever having kicked a ball in the top flight.

Really good question.

IMHO the short answer is pace and price-tag. A lot of scouts will have had a look at him from the Prem, and I think they don't mind taking a punt up to about £7m on a Championship striker unproven at the top level. But once it gets over £10m they would rather go abroad, eg Newcastle and Mitrovic who had played in the Champions League.

I also think pace is becoming almost a striker pre-requisite the speed at which the game is played in the PL. You can be the best player, but if you are always second to the ball it's of little use, and pace is not Rhodes' strong suit.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Really good question.

IMHO the short answer is pace and price-tag. A lot of scouts will have had a look at him from the Prem, and I think they don't mind taking a punt up to about £7m on a Championship striker unproven at the top level. But once it gets over £10m they would rather go abroad, eg Newcastle and Mitrovic who had played in the Champions League.

I also think pace is becoming almost a striker pre-requisite the speed at which the game is played in the PL. You can be the best player, but if you are always second to the ball it's of little use, and pace is not Rhodes' strong suit.
That's Ulloa down on both counts then :lolol:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I have a feeling we'll go in with £16 mill and BLOW Boro out the water :albion2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here