Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastily arranged deal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So Andy Naylor says about the Zamora signing.

What's that all about then, anyone know?

Seems a weird thing to say after all the rumours during the summer

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't CMS delay his signing for Luton until the first week of August so that we would pay him for July at a higher rate of pay?

Presumably BZ did the same at QPR where he was on a small fortune. Can't blame the bloke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't CMS delay his signing for Luton until the first week of August so that we would pay him for July at a higher rate of pay?

Presumably BZ did the same at QPR where he was on a small fortune. Can't blame the bloke.

True but we'd hardly wait until 01 August to speak to him would we?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So Andy Naylor says about the Zamora signing.

What's that all about then, anyone know?

Seems a weird thing to say after all the rumours during the summer

Basically, it's Naylor's way of saying "I was right all summer in saying nothing was happening, the club just changed their mind on Friday". Purely a way of retaining some credibility (which I can understand)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Wondered if naylor was covering his back after stating it was a non starter earlier in the summer

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt it suggested last week, possibly on the radio during the Sevilla game, that he wasnt signing as Jones wanted him but CH wasnt convinced he could do a job. Hope he proves Jones right in wanting him.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Basically, it's Naylor's way of saying "I was right all summer in saying nothing was happening, the club just changed their mind on Friday". Purely a way of retaining some credibility (which I can understand)

This.

But I do not believe that there was no contact between the club and BZ until 4 days ago...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Why would be have to pay CMS anything at all, when he had been released from his contract at the end of last season? Come to that, the same thing would have applied with Bobby at QPR.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

This is the way I view it.
Except BZ contradicts him by saying he was "holding out for Brighton". So someone's not telling the truth.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why would be have to pay CMS anything at all, when he had been released from his contract at the end of last season? Come to that, the same thing would have applied with Bobby at QPR.

Those are the rules for all released players. If they don't have a new contract elsewhere, they are paid for July.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't usually mind Naylor too much compared to some on here, but I think he's acting like a child on Twitter. Just say to his knowledge the club hadn't spoken to Zamora until Friday. Or do a bit of investigative journalism and find out what happened. I hope Naylor will be positive about this signing and his petulance doesn't show in his articles.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't usually mind Naylor too much compared to some on here, but I think he's acting like a child on Twitter. Just say to his knowledge the club hadn't spoken to Zamora until Friday. Or do a bit of investigative journalism and find out what happened. I hope Naylor will be positive about this signing and his petulance doesn't show in his articles.

AN seems to view the transfer in a positive light, and says the strikeforce has been upgraded from last season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This is what I think. I always thought that players' contracts ended in June until Virgo was talking about CMS the other day. It just seems too much of a coincidence that first contact was made on the last day of July, and a deal was completed 3 days later.

Like you say, can't blame him for delaying - he probably got paid about £300K by QPR in June and July.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here