Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee for Forest & Changes to the Offside Law.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Keith Stroud - seem to remember he was the ref when we played Forest on the final day.

(Also did the 0-0 vs. Blackpool last season, as well as Watford (H), Ipswich (H) and Bournemouth (A)

Ian Cooper and Daniel Leach
Fourth Official Brendan Malone

In other news:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9933613/rule-change-will-simplify-game

"In recent seasons, players have been allowed to occupy offside positions without necessarily being penalised depending on whether they were thought to be actively involved in play or not.

Now they will be punished if they clearly attempt to play a ball close to them when their actions have an impact on an opponent’s ability to play the ball."

:albion2:

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Why can't they just go back to the tried tested and clear rule of being beyond the last defender. Feel for the officials trying to interpret this nonsense during a high tempo game

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"In recent seasons, players have been allowed to occupy offside positions without necessarily being penalised depending on whether they were thought to be actively involved in play or not.

Now they will be punished if they clearly attempt to play a ball close to them when their actions have an impact on an opponent’s ability to play the ball."

:albion2:

I'm not sure I fully understand this. And what is "close"?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So if you're off side & obstruct an opponent running to impact the ball it's now flagged... I think.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So wishy washy isn't it!? All this pathetic amount of money in football and we change the laws to not make much sense!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

The new law says:

A player in an offside position if he:

"Makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

THE SCENARIO: United have a free kick on the right which Mata takes and it swings in towards goal. At the point the ball is played, Marcos Rojo is in an offside position and he attempts to head the cross in but misses. Nobody else connects with the ball and Mata’s effort goes straight in, with a goal awarded.

THIS SEASON’S DECISION: Goal is disallowed.

Problem is - this is going to be so subjective. Offside law was a lot easier before they changed it, but it made the game a lot more stop start.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
So wishy washy isn't it!? All this pathetic amount of money in football and we change the laws to not make much sense!

You'll love this then Sheebs, Senior Officials are told not to give foul throws as it slows down the enjoyment of the game. :lolol:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Why can't they just go back to the tried tested and clear rule of being beyond the last defender. Feel for the officials trying to interpret this nonsense during a high tempo game
Plus the legion of pundits ready to stick the boot in after watching every conceivable angle is super slow motion...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new law says:

A player in an offside position if he:

"Makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

THE SCENARIO: United have a free kick on the right which Mata takes and it swings in towards goal. At the point the ball is played, Marcos Rojo is in an offside position and he attempts to head the cross in but misses. Nobody else connects with the ball and Mata’s effort goes straight in, with a goal awarded.

THIS SEASON’S DECISION: Goal is disallowed.

Problem is - this is going to be so subjective. Offside law was a lot easier before they changed it, but it made the game a lot more stop start.

What if Rojo's move didn't impact the ability of an opponent? How can this be determined and then explained? As you say it's bizarrely subjective.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So if you're off side & obstruct an opponent running to impact the ball it's now flagged... I think.

Basically that was the law last season anyway

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball"

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic..but are they now allowing the ref's assistants to make decisions ..more than half the time i wonder why they bother turning up

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Basically that was the law last season anyway

“interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball"

Yeh I guess it was!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's an interesting point. I wonder why it was introduced in the first place. It would simplify football and remove a lot of controversy.
Sam Allardyce would be in heaven. Do we want the beautiful game, or do we want 7 foot goal hangers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here