Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is it we seem to be the only team going on about bringin back old players all the time

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Well listening to the radio yesterday i think Virgo made a very good point. Is it nostalgic? if we didn't get rid of them in the first place we would go on about getting them back in. Don't always work out as Bennett was a prime example. Lets just move on. Yesterday was Muzza and Leo Today is Hemed and wheather we like it or not Baldock and COG

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Players like Bridcutt and Buckley went on to a higher level after doing a good job for us, but are now surplus to requirements at their club. We know what they're capable of and we know they're available, so it makes sense that people see them as an option, and sentimental value only adds to this.

Not that I'd particularly want either of them back, mind. Both very good players but Buckley too inconsistent/injury prone and Bridcutt burnt his bridges in the manner of his departure.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think we are alone in this. I think it's a by-product of having good players play for you and hoping to have the clout to get them back. United fans bang on about getting Ronaldo back all the time, as did Arsenal with Fabregas, Chelsea with Drogba etc.

I have an emotional connection with ex-players (as long as they're good!) and I have friends who are fans of other clubs that feel the same.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I have wondered a few times whether it really is just an Albion thing, or if there are other clubs out there that have forums full of threads suggesting the return of previous players...surely we can't be the only ones?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well listening to the radio yesterday i think Virgo made a very good point.
Virgo said no to Spanish Dave, and he said no to Buckley. He said that Bennett came back, and it wasn't great, and it didn't work out for Adam when he came back. He said never go back. He also said we missed a trick last season as we should have brought Murray back on loan, thus proving that he was talking shit all along.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Bringing Murray back has been a hot topic because it is accepted that Gus made a massive mistake by letting him go. In Zamoras case he said he'd like to end his playing days here when he left.

I have more of a problem with the bring back Buckley, Bridcutt, Upson and Lopez crew. That's when it starts going bonkers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Virgo said no to Spanish Dave, and he said no to Buckley. He said that Bennett came back, and it wasn't great, and it didn't work out for Adam when he came back. He said never go back. He also said we missed a trick last season as we should have brought Murray back on loan, thus proving that he was talking shit all along.

Which is ironic, considering we sold Virgo to Celtic, and then he came back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is ironic, considering we sold Virgo to Celtic, and then he came back.
Well no, he (and I), did mention that (see 'Adam'). It was part of his proof that it doesn't work out :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well no, he (and I), did mention that (see 'Adam'). It was his part of his proof that it doesn't work out :)

Sorry, I misread your reference to Adam. There again, we've had players on loan like Ward, Zamora & Barnes, who were then bought (therefore going back) which have worked out very well.
It's just another generalisation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, I misread your reference to Adam. There again, we've had players on loan like Ward, Zamora & Barnes, who were then bought (therefore going back) which have worked out very well.
Indeed. He's right that we shouldn't bring back players just because they were good for us once, but never say never. If they're good enough now, then there's no reason they shouldn't come.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whenever a player is poached off us I feel an injustice and want them back one day !

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

True, but particularly with Zamora and Barnes, their loan to perm move was almost instant so it never felt like a going away and coming back situation to me. I do struggle to think of players returning after a while away an being successful on their return though. The problem is, you can't compete with nostalgia.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it does happen for top player at other clubs of course, but here it does seem to be any player associated with the club in the past 5 odd years is considered a target if they become available. McShane for example, as if there are no other centre backs in existance.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well listening to the radio yesterday i think Virgo made a very good point. Is it nostalgic? if we didn't get rid of them in the first place we would go on about getting them back in. Don't always work out as Bennett was a prime example. Lets just move on. Yesterday was Muzza and Leo Today is Hemed and wheather we like it or not Baldock and COG

How many other clubs do you follow?

I would imagine that is why it seems like its only us who do it, as you dont pay as much interest to message boards or fans views on their transfers, or fans view on transfers.

The Majority of peoples knowledge on this board is pretty limited to the Albion and the league we are in, there are not many on here who even watch football outside of the English divisions. As such what is the value in discussing options that will not generate much interest.

Its not like the views of the board are who the club are actually looking at, so whats it matter what people talk about on messageboads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here