Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video: chicks suffering farming cruelty

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My god that is ****ing horrific. Why is this still happening in the 21st century.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's solely for profit :mad::mad:

another way of saying the same thing is: "it's because people want cheap food".

If you want food that is raised/grown in the way that most people idealistically and naively believe it is being raised/grown; if you want food produced like it was in your grandparents' generation, either produce it yourself (Dig for Victory style) or buy free range organic produce at double the price.

Factory farming is horrific. I believe hugely signifixant damage to human health has been and continues to be done by routine use of antibiotics, pesticides and growth hormone injections.

However, just removing the cheap products from the supermarket shelves isn't the answer. It's inevitable that. consumers will apply downward pressure on prices; but some (greater) controls are required, imo.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
another way of saying the same thing is: "it's because people want cheap food".

If you want food that is raised/grown in the way that most people idealistically and naively believe it is being raised/grown; if you want food produced like it was in your grandparents' generation, either produce it yourself (Dig for Victory style) or buy free range organic produce at double the price.

Factory farming is horrific. I believe hugely signifixant damage to human health has been and continues to be done by routine use of antibiotics, pesticides and growth hormone injections.

However, just removing the cheap products from the supermarket shelves isn't the answer. It's inevitable that. consumers will apply downward pressure on prices; but some (greater) controls are required, imo.
IMO it should be down to government / EU laws. Consumers can't see the effect of their choices at the supermarket, and because factory farmed chickens are allowed, free range chickens are more expensive than they could be. Consumers can't (realistically) choose when they're eating out either. Animals should be treated better and that should be down to legislation.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One day we are going to look back on how we produce food and realise how daft it is to use POISONS to grow our FOOD. Or maybe we won't.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
all i could think about was Madras,Chasseur and Southern Fried

Thousands of living creatures die in this fashion every hour of every day. This type of farming is ruining the planet. If you can't contribute anything positive to a thread about death please just keep it to yourself. Show a bit of class, please.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One day we are going to look back on how we produce food and realise how daft it is to use POISONS to grow our FOOD. Or maybe we won't.

We will wipe ourselves and our planet out before we get to this level of understanding.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This type of food production will be our downfall. Be it disease that spreads through livestock due to the conditions they are reared in (we've skirted pretty close to this a few times) or the fact that using land in this fashion, huge livestock plantations, vast areas of countryside used for one-crop production, is really very bad for the planet. It wipes out bio-diversity across huge plains of land, reduces soil to dust and it produces poor quality foodstuffs.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This type of food production will be our downfall. Be it disease that spreads through livestock due to the conditions they are reared in (we've skirted pretty close to this a few times) or the fact that using land in this fashion, huge livestock plantations, vast areas of countryside used for one-crop production, is really very bad for the planet. It wipes out bio-diversity across huge plains of land, reduces soil to dust and it produces poor quality foodstuffs.

There's not a lot that you and I agree on, I think. But we do on this topic! :thumbsup:

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
i'm just shocked by how coldly automated the process is. The bit where the chicks are hooked up by their heads on the machine so their beaks are removed by laser was just too upsetting. :(

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I don't want to watch this video. I saw one filmed in France where day old male chicks were on a conveyor belt going to be fed alive into a grinder. A group broke in to stop it and were arrested. I've been veggie for 20 years, mainly because I don't like meat (taste, smell and texture turns my stomach). I cannot comprehend how any feeling, thinking human being could either:
a) conceive of such a process or
b) carry it out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The mass production process doesn't look good but I don’t think there is a nice way for an animal to be killed. Didn’t watch the whole video but I would imagine that they die before any pain can register if being quickly minced. I rarely eat meat these days.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Watch the video and you will see the pan and cruelty.

I was led to this video by Louis Theroux who was talking about Cecil the Lion in the Independent.

Humans cam be utter *******s when it comes to animals, even though humans are an animal. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here