Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Problems from Falmer to Lewes

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Anyone else see problems on the delayed 18.26 (7?) from Falmer to Lewes because of the overcrowded platform at Falmer ?(after platform guard decided to reopen gates and let everyone on platform) Some fans unable to get on train (including some disabled) and two fans were pulled off the train by police.

Or anyone who missed the 18.48 connection to Eastbourne because the following 18.40 train was delayed by 2 mins? The train guard refused to re-open the doors to let us on-even though he did just that for the Southern staff who arrived after us from the delayed Falmer train?

I'm tempted to write letter of complaint but might be useful to have some other names of witnesses in case Southern staff deny.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I wasn't at the game, but came through Brighton station around quarter past seven. Large queue westbound.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You should have seen the queues at Brighton for Coastway West trains. Overcrowded shambles with Pride and football crowds trying to get on short, delayed trains. If Southern can't handle a 10,000 match they're going to be stuffed on Friday. Need to lose their franchise.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Anyone else see problems on the delayed 18.26 (7?) from Falmer to Lewes because of the overcrowded platform at Falmer ?(after platform guard decided to reopen gates and let everyone on platform) Some fans unable to get on train (including some disabled) and two fans were pulled off the train by police.

Or anyone who missed the 18.48 connection to Eastbourne because the following 18.40 train was delayed by 2 mins? The train guard refused to re-open the doors to let us on-even though he did just that for the Southern staff who arrived after us from the delayed Falmer train?

I'm tempted to write letter of complaint but might be useful to have some other names of witnesses in case Southern staff deny.

I was in the queue, when the guard opened the door -there were not any people left, so I assumed that this was the reason. Someone did go along the queue to check, so assume they thought the final few would have made little difference. When we got on the platform, the chap said that the oncoming train i.e. the one you mention, had 6 coaches, and to get on we should make our way forward, as the train would not be stopping right by the gate. Did this and got on the train without any problem, though it was very full. Probably not much to help to you, but that was what we experienced.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No problems on the Lewes only train at 18-10 arrived early and left half empty in the front three coaches.

The reason there are problems is THE TWATS WHO WONT GET ON THE TRAIN AND CHANGE AT LEWES.

If the selfish idiots got on the first available train it wouldn't cause problems later on

Westmead Fan

Jul 17, 2014
no problems for me and i was on that train at falmer i went to the front of the train as on the tannoy it said the front coaches were empty. got off at lewes went to platform 1 & waited 3 mins & got onto the train from london to eastbourne fine even got a seat for my first game at brighton i thought it was fine.

the falmer platforms are abit small apart from that i will be going to more home games

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I was in the queue, when the guard opened the door -there were not any people left, so I assumed that this was the reason. Someone did go along the queue to check, so assume they thought the final few would have made little difference. When we got on the platform, the chap said that the oncoming train i.e. the one you mention, had 6 coaches, and to get on we should make our way forward, as the train would not be stopping right by the gate. Did this and got on the train without any problem, though it was very full. Probably not much to help to you, but that was what we experienced.
No fair enough Hastings. Yes, think those who made it to the front of the train were OK. I think most of us who couldn't get on had been waiting at the other end.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
no problems for me and i was on that train at falmer i went to the front of the train as on the tannoy it said the front coaches were empty. got off at lewes went to platform 1 & waited 3 mins & got onto the train from london to eastbourne fine even got a seat for my first game at brighton i thought it was fine.

the falmer platforms are abit small apart from that i will be going to more home games

Yes, we couldn't get down to the front of the train in time. It's normally better than that because they close the gates once they have counted a full trainload on to the platform-so everyone knows they can get on and the trains aren't overcrowded. This was first time I've seen this happen. You should be fine for future games.

Jul 7, 2003
You should have seen the queues at Brighton for Coastway West trains. Overcrowded shambles with Pride and football crowds trying to get on short, delayed trains. If Southern can't handle a 10,000 match they're going to be stuffed on Friday. Need to lose their franchise.

Trains out of Portsmouth seemed to be stuffed all day. I got a train over from Worthing okay before the match but the next two were cancelled (crew problems). Got back to Brighton for the 7pm train west to see the huge queue so assume problems were continuing. We jumped onto a bus to Hove Station and picked up the train down from London. Saw the delayed pm from Brighton go through and it was nowhere near full so they must have rushed a few people onto it and then let it go. Our train got to Worthing and then the Littlehampton half was terminated due to no conductor.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I was on that train, the reason they pulled the two people off was because there was no room and the doors wouldn't shut.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Left game early got my train short wait at Lewes for conection to Haywards Heath Due to crowd first Class down graded .
However for the leauge games you can't beat the coach door to door with a reserved seat and debating the game with your friends.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

All commuters will just see this as the normal standard applied by Southern. Any delay on a connecting train and they will just let the train leave rather than actually consider passenger satisfaction. The reason is always given as timetabled to leave at that time, and we must adhere to that, completely overlooking the late running previous train.

The other response is well you can claim on delay repay due to missed connection.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All commuters will just see this as the normal standard applied by Southern. Any delay on a connecting train and they will just let the train leave rather than actually consider passenger satisfaction. The reason is always given as timetabled to leave at that time, and we must adhere to that, completely overlooking the late running previous train

this is bollocks, they often hold trains at Haywards Heath or Lewes when there are problems, so that a slightly late train can make the connection. not always granted.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
this is bollocks, they often hold trains at Haywards Heath or Lewes when there are problems, so that a slightly late train can make the connection. not always granted.

Not at Brighton if looking to catch coastal service from incoming London train.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Someone told me yesterday that they dread Friday night K.o's because unlike on Saturday afternoons, Southern don't put on longer trains. That seems a bit daft, the Electrostar stock must have got back from London by then.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Someone told me yesterday that they dread Friday night K.o's because unlike on Saturday afternoons, Southern don't put on longer trains. That seems a bit daft, the Electrostar stock must have got back from London by then.

Night games are always worse. The 12 car stock is still doing the commuter run.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Night games are always worse. The 12 car stock is still doing the commuter run.

Just so long as they keep running the 8 carriage trains every ten minutes or so after midweek games, shouldn't be too many problems. Its when they send down some crummy 3 carriage job that the problems start.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
All commuters will just see this as the normal standard applied by Southern. Any delay on a connecting train and they will just let the train leave rather than actually consider passenger satisfaction. The reason is always given as timetabled to leave at that time, and we must adhere to that, completely overlooking the late running previous train.

The other response is well you can claim on delay repay due to missed connection.

Whilst I would not presume to comment on the commuter situation, to be fair to them, when we got off the train from Hastings to change at Lewes for Falmer, they had held a train back until a few hundred moved platforms and the expected14 minute wait there did not materialise, meaning another pint at Dick's Bar due to the earlier arrival.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here