Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wanton destruction of important historical artifacts. Maddening but great film making

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I was aware like most I expect of the Islamic State ploy to break the will of the people through the destruction of some of the most precious artifacts in ancient Mesopotamia but until I saw this excellent Dan Cruickshank program on BBC4 the other day I didn't appreciate the possible implication of leaving them unchecked. The threat of losing cultural enlightenment in places such as Egypt should be seen as a genuine concern and threat.

Think this is the first time i've actually found myself genuinely angry at what they're trying to achieve and even more angry that we harbour fervent supporters here in the UK.

Recommend that even if you have a passing interest in this subject that you watch http://bbc.in/1Jqekrv. Pretty much left me incredibly angry and trying to work out what any/all of us could be doing to stop them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was aware like most I expect of the Islamic State ploy to break the will of the people through the destruction of some of the most precious artifacts in ancient Mesopotamia but until I saw this excellent Dan Cruickshank program on BBC4 the other day I didn't appreciate the possible implication of leaving them unchecked. The threat of losing cultural enlightenment in places such as Egypt should be seen as a genuine concern and threat.

Think this is the first time i've actually found myself genuinely angry at what they're trying to achieve and even more angry that we harbour fervent supporters here in the UK.

Recommend that even if you have a passing interest in this subject that you watch http://bbc.in/1Jqekrv. Pretty much left me incredibly angry and trying to work out what any/all of us could be doing to stop them.

What about all the people they are killings and maiming? You didn't care about THAT? But when they start knocking down a few old buildings, THEN your upset? Sicko. :nono:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What about all the people they are killings and maiming? You didn't care about THAT? But when they start knocking down a few old buildings, THEN your upset? Sicko. :nono:

There will always be human collateral damage in wars but it's rare that an invading force wishes to rub cultural heritage off the face of the Earth especially for the reason of idolisation of anything that isn't suitable from their version of religion.

Some excellent points made by many more worthy than i in the prog and well worth watching.

There's a reason they've stopped beheading westerners on film because we've stopped glorifying it and responding with outrage. This is their next effort to justify their ends.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
There will always be human collateral damage in wars but it's rare that an invading force wishes to rub cultural heritage off the face of the Earth especially for the reason of idolisation of anything that isn't suitable from their version of religion.

Some excellent points made by many more worthy than i in the prog and well worth watching.

There's a reason they've stopped beheading westerners on film because we've stopped glorifying it and responding with outrage. This is their next effort to justify their ends.

they are destroying the cradle of humanity,not just their history but ours too, just good that we still have some here in the West.
they mentioned the human loss in that area, it is a case of weighing up the human loss against the loss of history, and I am afraid its a question that will never resolved

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Firstly, I'm not taking a side against you. You've posted a link about destruction by ISIS and I probably have similar feelings about it as you.
There will always be human collateral damage in wars
Their murders are not collateral damage. Collateral damage are accidental casualties.

So you posting a link and being outraged is what they want and the only reason they bother? ???

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Good call

This is a very good documentary and well worth a watch

For what its worth its quite possible to be appalled at the cultural terrorism and the destruction of these historical sites without having to also mention or equate the disgusting slaughter being carried out by mental muslims on human beings

Anyone who describes these sites as just a bunch of old rocks( a couple of the usual suspects have said this in the past) is not worth listening to anyway.

But you do have to wonder why on seeing this documentary this is the first time you have become angry at what they are trying to achieve. Were you only mildly miffed when they raped and slaughtered young girls, perhaps only slightly uncomfortable when gays were thrown to their deaths off buildings, did the pilot burnt alive or the 5 prisoners drowned in a cage simply register a raising of the eyebrow? Maybe all the beheadings only caused you a momentary MEH.

It does beg the question how many other people are simply not bothered about the evils of these vile people.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Firstly, I'm not taking a side against you. You've posted a link about destruction by ISIS and I probably have similar feelings about it as you.
Their murders are not collateral damage. Collateral damage are accidental casualties.

So you posting a link and being outraged is what they want and the only reason they bother? ???

That's pretty much what the film goes on to say.

And yes of course I am appalled at the loss of human life and persecution etc but up until now ive felt that whilst heinous, disgusting and repugnant I had a stronger reaction to their cultural terrorism.

Maybe I'm a bit meh about the killing etc as it's become de rigour in this type of conflict and reported in such a saturation type way by western media that one can become detached and desensitised to it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Interesting and emotive film.

Thought the female brit had it best - We're not watching the executions due to media and self governance, so they are trying to get us worked up by another tack.

The cynic in me finds it a bit typical that the yank wants to go in all guns blazing, but as the male brit says, what do we do, just hope ?

What this IS campaign has done, is introduce me to Palmyra.. never heard of it before... and it does look amazing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Any group who wants to physically destroy human history is an enemy of all civilisations past, present and future. On the plus side they cannot destroy the world’s heritage because fortunately it has all been digitally recorded. In the future when it is safe to visit these sites we will use augmented reality. ISIL will never make themselves look good in world history and they have shot Islam in the foot.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
we are loosing all our heritage to these thugs however I would be happy to loose it all if it was to save lives sadly that's not the case

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
They don't ever deserve that monicker. It's just awful.

I hold out small hope that a galvanised Iran with better links with the West can put the fear of God into these subhuman scumbags

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here