Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone travelled to Dover recently ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm popping cross Channel for a couple of days at the end of August and was wondering how bad it is getting there when Operation Stack is running ? I don't mind doing the coast road to avoid the M20 but what's it like for the last few miles of the A20/A27/A259 getting in to Dover ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I live in Faversham. It is a real bugger down East. Operation stack backing well up, and thousands of hopeful desperate folk throwing themselves at anything that moves, across the water . . . Good luck . . . . :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I live in Faversham. It is a real bugger down East. Operation stack backing well up, and thousands of hopeful desperate folk throwing themselves at anything that moves, across the water . . . Good luck . . . . :)

I think he is going by car but if not could save him £30.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm on the Dover- Dunkirk route so not so bad, just worried about the last few miles in to Dover if the M20 is Stacked ?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Depends on time of travel.

Coming back arriving yesterday 8ish in the evening, it looked fine.

Worse problems were the other side. Putting 2 and 2 together, plod coned off the motorway slip roads because of the aggro with burning tyres etcs. P&O website said diversions being used but we saw nothing. Your 'must do' is learn how to get to the port from the town centre.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Depends on time of travel.

Coming back arriving yesterday 8ish in the evening, it looked fine.

Worse problems were the other side. Putting 2 and 2 together, plod coned off the motorway slip roads because of the aggro with burning tyres etcs. P&O website said diversions being used but we saw nothing. Your 'must do' is learn how to get to the port from the town centre.

Thanks Moto, but I'm coming back from Dunkirk anyway. My real worry is that I am on an 8.00 am sailing from Dover and so need to be there 7.00 am and if the traffic is going to be a stinker I might have to go the evening before and get a B&B for the night in Dover rather than risk getting jammed up say 10 miles from the port.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
2 weeks ago we were out on a 7.30am crossing, but in between stacks. The M20 was grim Dover bound last night. Tough call.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
2 weeks ago we were out on a 7.30am crossing, but in between stacks. The M20 was grim Dover bound last night. Tough call.

Looks like I am relying on DC having some stern words with M. Hollande and sorting things out....... ok, I'm stuffed then.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

We are off next week and dreading it! Am I right in thinking that Stack is only between junctions 8 and 10 (anyway between Ashford and Maidstone) so if we come from Hastings, along the A259 via Rye and Hythe and then join the A20 just before the road tunnel at Folkestone, then we should not be affected? Obviously if there are further problems, then it will not be plain sailing (no pun intended!) into Dover. It would seem that at present, the immigrant situation is affecting the tunnel more, and we are on the ferries, but burning tyres may yet get us! Would this route seem OK?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are off next week and dreading it! Am I right in thinking that Stack is only between junctions 8 and 10 (anyway between Ashford and Maidstone) so if we come from Hastings, along the A259 via Rye and Hythe and then join the A20 just before the road tunnel at Folkestone, then we should not be affected? Obviously if there are further problems, then it will not be plain sailing (no pun intended!) into Dover. It would seem that at present, the immigrant situation is affecting the tunnel more, and we are on the ferries, but burning tyres may yet get us! Would this route seem OK?

This is what I am thinking of doing but need to know if it is doable or just another car park like the M20.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What about changing to the Newhaven/Dieppe ferry. Are your tickets transferable?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

As I see it it, 'Stack' is a fluid make-it-up-as-you-go along operation. Even part of the northbound stretch has been used. It is there one day and gone the next and then back again. You may have identified the primary location there. I think your route is fine. Allow extra time and print off a Calais map just in case. I doubt 'diversions' would be used because it would gridlock the town centre. Have a bit of faith in getting to the port from any motorway exit that gets you into the town centre.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Same as what Motogull said, we needed to be somewhere for 11am, so left Brighton about 4.30-5am the motorway was fine up to the Diversion and A roads were not too bad and moved, but we still missed our crossing time due to the volume of traffic on the A roads, and had to wait an hour at the tunnel terminal, coming back was fine, however the traffic coming down towards the ports (about 4pm) was just gridlocked and went back miles it looked grim, so go as early as possible i.e before 6 as I reckon it must gridlock pretty quickly after this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here