Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fitness Trackers/Smart Watches

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Afternoon all,

Just wondered what some fitness/running enthusiasts prefer to track your activity?

I'm looking at the Fitbit Charge HR but wondering if there are better options out there?
Also considering the Apple Watch but it might be a bit too a premium device to get sweaty or possibly bashed about!

Whatever I get must have a HR monitor.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I got the Charge HR a few weeks ago and its a great bit of kit - admittedly I don't have anything to really compare it with but I was going for the HR monitor for when I go running but also to see what I manage during my evening job.

I'd recommend it,

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I've had a fair few devices over the years and now own the Garmin 920xt. Without doubt the best fitness device I have ever owned!

Granted a bit pricey but well worth the money if you are serious about your fitness!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If you want HR info then the Garmin Forerunner 225 has to be top of the list.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Ive got a garmin 310xt with heart rate monitor strap. Its great bit of kit and has everything i need for running long miles..Its a bit old and chunky but you can pick up them up relatively cheap.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Ive got a garmin 310xt with heart rate monitor strap. Its great bit of kit and has everything i need for running long miles..Its a bit old and chunky/solid/bash and waterproof but you can pick up them up relatively cheap. Good battery life too.

So good i posted this twice :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks all,

I'll have a look at the Charge HR and a Garmin.

I won't be tracking many runs as I mostly do circuits, sprints and football so I'm ultimately looking for something to show me HR stats, activity duration and calories burnt.

Cheers.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Fitbit has a terribly designed fastening; rather than a conventional type of strap, it has a two pronged affair that presses into holes on the other part & if you catch it on something it pings open quite easily

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Fitbit has a terribly designed fastening; rather than a conventional type of strap, it has a two pronged affair that presses into holes on the other part & if you catch it on something it pings open quite easily

I've also read this somewhere else and it was a bit concerning.
Although, having looked at the images, it seems that the HR range (and models above) has switched to the traditional watch-strap rather than fancy-clip operation.

Facebook_Launch_WallPost.jpg

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I have Charge HR and strap not popped open once. Its quite a ball ache to do up though. Only problem I have encountered with the HR side of things is if you are doing anything that flexes the wrist it can lose the HR reading for a few seconds. Push ups, squat jumps, ******* etc.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have Charge HR and strap not popped open once. Its quite a ball ache to do up though. Only problem I have encountered with the HR side of things is if you are doing anything that flexes the wrist it can lose the HR reading for a few seconds. Push ups, squat jumps, ******* etc.

Do you have to press any buttons or set it up ready for whatever activity you're about to do or does it just track everything 24/7?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I have been using the Mio Alpha for a year or so. Major plus point is no chest strap needed. However output is basic - time, avg HR, time in zone. As far as I can tell. HR is fairly accurate - I check against treadmill and it's normally close.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I have been using the Mio Alpha for a year or so. Major plus point is no chest strap needed. However output is basic - time, avg HR, time in zone. As far as I can tell. HR is fairly accurate - I check against treadmill and it's normally close.

Best way of checking would be against your pulse.
How would you know that the treadmill is accurate?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Best way of checking would be against your pulse.
How would you know that the treadmill is accurate?

The treadmills at my gym have HR sensors built into the frame, I imagine SiJ uses something similar.

I won't be able to check my HR whilst doing my workouts so I'd be happy to see my performance charted so I can compare week by week etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here