Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Success to failure in 5 seasons?

s e boy1968

Nov 9, 2010
Love, hate or resent it the 1901 membership was a fantastic marketing success for the club.
Initially bringing in over £2m in seat licence income plus circa £2.5m a season.
With renewals due later this season I would estimate at least half of existing members are considering switching to normal season tickets.
Ok so the club will still keep some of the existing income but how have the club allowed such a successful formula to become such a potential failure just through arrogance , false promises and not getting the simple things right??

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Love, hate or resent it the 1901 membership was a fantastic marketing success for the club.
Initially bringing in over £2m in seat licence income plus circa £2.5m a season.
With renewals due later this season I would estimate at least half of existing members are considering switching to normal season tickets.
Ok so the club will still keep some of the existing income but how have the club allowed such a successful formula to become such a potential failure just through arrogance , false promises and not getting the simple things right??
That's one hell of an estimate you've got going on there. You must have polled the other 2999 as I don't remember you asking me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Didn't ask me either, none of the group we go with will be cancelling.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Didn't ask me either, none of the group we go with will be cancelling.

He didn't say all, but I don't know where he got the figure of half. but I do know some 1901 members calling it a day at the end of the season. I cannot believe there is a large waiting list to join the 1901 to replace them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wonder who's second account it is...9 posts in five years ...hmmmm

It's Hove Born & Bred. I recognise the attempt at a 'journalistic' style of writing and, more noticeably, the habit of placing a space before and after a comma.

And he's got previous for this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not a failure at the moment. But to sell the majority of the seats next season and further will be the true test of Barber's business acumen. He needs to get the price, and to a lesser extent the package, just right. There's a limit to how high he can price it and personally I can't see much argument for going much over what we currently pay.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will wait until the end of the year before deciding but what I do has nothing to do with the club, just my personal circumstances. Living a distance away and as my wife struggles with her health it's an expensive option if we can't get to games. Paying half as much for a standard season is appealing in those circumstances, as ultimately is going match by match. But as I say time will tell.
We would miss the lounge but if I have a criticism it's that the range of catering (snack) offers is better in the concourses, That and the daft dress code. Nothing else.

That's personal. Taking a wider view the club may have to consider reducing (5year) licence renewal fees for existing members and they desperately need success on the pitch up to Christmas when the renewal process begins. That's why I am surprised that we didn't take a punt in the transfer market this summer, maybe we will sign a non contract Bobby Zamora just before renewals are due? We may need to.............

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's not a failure at the moment. But to sell the majority of the seats next season and further will be the true test of Barber's business acumen. He needs to get the price, and to a lesser extent the package, just right.

A good season make his job a whole lot easier; and he wouldn't even have to try selling them if we got promoted. I imagine that he has as much, if not more, invested in a succesful season than most of us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A good season make his job a whole lot easier; and he wouldn't even have to try selling them if we got promoted. I imagine that he has as much, if not more, invested in a succesful season than most of us.

I totally agree. But renewals arrive in December so we really need to hit the ground winning very soon which hopefully we will do :thumbsup:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Has it been a fantastic success ??? Who's to say it couldn't have generated more income if PB had been in charge from the start instead of Ken "Clueless" Brown ???

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I totally agree. But renewals arrive in December so we really need to hit the ground winning very soon which hopefully we will do :thumbsup:

I didn't realise renewals were as early as that. If this season follows a similar pattern to 12/13, there could be a few that might not renew then change their minds by April!

Feb 14, 2010
The club are scrapping around the wrong end of second tier football, and so what do people expect and what do other clubs get in that situation? How many would the club sell if the Albion had a half decent side in the Premier League? Perhaps a good third more at 1901 level. On top of that another 10,000 to 15000 for regular tickets for a good top flight game and who knows how many for the likes of Man United. There is an interesting potential down the Albion that has never been fulfilled.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Presumably you mean "none of the group we go with will be cancelling, assuming price rises are relatively reasonable"

Would you all be renewing at, say, £500 per month?

Very fair point, I think I'd struggle at that price, but somehow don't think it will be quite that hefty a rise. I think the OP is trolling/fishing and I guess a few of us have bitten. The new prices come out in December, let the feeding frenzy commence then.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I know some fans who, worried that they wouldn't have got a ST for the clubs first season at the Amex and therefore miss out on the very first league match because they were so far down the list when it came to being able to buy, with a lot of others getting the opportunity first that they decided to buy 1901 seats to guarantee getting in.

I can't remember if they brought 5 year deals or the longer alternative but i'd imagine there are a fair few that also took this approach and i'd have thought that they are the ones who are more likely to switch to ordinary ST's and i'm not sure how much marketing, etc will make them stay as the original reason for buying this option no longer applies (i haven't spoken to them to ask if they plan to renew and they may be for all i know or may even have the longer term deal)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very fair point, I think I'd struggle at that price, but somehow don't think it will be quite that hefty a rise.

Of course it won't - I choose an extreme value given your stance. But there will be quite significant price hikes and everyone will have different levels at which they will say "Too much for me."

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Presumably you mean "none of the group we go with will be cancelling, assuming price rises are relatively reasonable"

Would you all be renewing at, say, £500 per month?
There lies the crux. The intimation was that the longer you renewed for, the lower the cost but the numbers will be very interesting. I fail to believe there are corporates queuing round the block to replace the 'fans treating themselves' like me. Pricing us out of the market would seem like a very poor business decision to me as you will get less money from us and are unlikely to replace us all. But it will be what it will be and I will make my decision when I see the figures. But as it stands, I have no desire to cancel.

The other factor is those (including Timmy) who only paid for the 5 year license. Bearing in mind I can in theory sell my seat, I paid £1000 believing that if the price got too high, I could reclaim some money. As I understand it, those who went for 5 years must either pay another £500+ or give up their seat for nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here