Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pick your own Veg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
i'd love to know the answer to this too.

PYO fruit farms used to be all the rage not so many years ago, but the great majority of them seem to have disappeared. Does anyone know why?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Accordanding to the PYO website due to health and hygeine regulations and also people allowing children to run riot and eat the pickings rather than buy them.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'd guess its more down to how veg is harvested. PYO fruit tends to be berries etc that can simply be picked off a bush.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Looked into this a while back and my conclusion was that it was Roundstone or nothing.

Problem for me is that Roundstone can be a right pain with traffic to and from if you live in Brighton area.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Last week we went to the round stone farm and they gave us a fairly large container. When we paid after picking strawberries it came to £15.50. It shocked us. That's life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
EU put an end to it, more money from set aside or growing flax than low grade veg that the public can pick.

(this may or may not be actually true).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just looked at the Hewitts Farm website and they appear to have a good selection of veg. Will take a ride out next week as it is only 100 yds from Jct 4 of the m25 Towards Orpington.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We used to love doing this back in the UK.
Roundstone was always a favourite.
You can't do it here, snakes ,scorpions, spiders etc.
I used to get tons of discovery apples, my favourite variety, they are not available over here at all.
I would love to get a cutting or some seeds.
I remember the strawberry picking out Bolney way, stuffed our faces and bought a couple of cardboard baskets full.
Squashing them into my kids faces and stealing their large ones, great days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here