Fury after UK denies Ai Weiwei full visa

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
or knee jerk reaction to bureaucratic process which will be fixed on review.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder what the reaction would be if a UK resident did similar when applying to enter USA. The rules are clear all convictions must be declared.

Given what happened to that well known terrorist Cat Stevens I dread to think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
or knee jerk reaction to bureaucratic process which will be fixed on review.

Do you not think such a high profile case should be well above a "knee jerk" reaction?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting comment on that article. I am sure there is more to this than meets the eye:

July 2, 2015, President Xi Jinping's Special Envoy Meng Jianzhu met with Prime Minister David Cameron. On the afternoon of July 6, 2015, Foreign Minister Wang Yi met with Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Philip Hammond of the UK. On July 22, 2015, Vice Foreign Minister Wang Chao with UK Ambassador to China Barbara Janet Woodward at the latter's request. On July 22, 2015 Ai Weiwei's passport was returned. He did not know why this happened. Ai Weiwei then applied for a six month visa. His request was denied in such a way as to ensure he would not be in London at the time of Xi Jinping's visit but to permit him to attend the opening of a retrospective of his work in London.
This may indicate that Xi Jinping offered to let Ai Weiwei attend his retrospective on the condition that he not be in the UK at the time of his visit. Cameron may have accepted this condition in order for Ai Weiwei to attend his retrospective and be able to travel in the future. The CPC may seize his passport again on return to Beijing. Yes, this is all speculation. The Guardian should work up the story of what happened behind the scenes.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's my way, or the Ai weiwei

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Given what happened to that well known terrorist Cat Stevens I dread to think.
have you deliberately called him cat stevens to strengthen your case ? he has changed his name to yusuf islam and terrorist or not , he supported the fatwa againt salman rushdie, stating publicly '' He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear – if someone defames the prophet, then he must die.'', pretty strong grounds for denying someone entry , dont you think ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here