Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Modern football - Hype, hype and yet more hype.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I used to think it was just Sky Sports with their incessant "Best League in the WORLD" crap, where they feel they have to just tell us that everything is so completely fantastic. But it has extended far beyond that in football these days, and in fact, while chatting to a mate today, I've realised it is the clubs approach of hype everything ALL THE TIME, is the driving force behind much of my growing frustration, and detachment from the club..

I spend all season fighting against giving myself false hope, “it’s the hope that kills you” and we all know it, so I was much more comfortable with the club openly saying “look we know this is a bit shite, and we’re so sorry that we can’t afford the players we’d like, but we can’t compete financially. Anyway, here’s a poncho, and if you could spare a fifty we’re having a whip-round to try and buy someone better.” Question for you good people to ponder, was last years team (“top 6 squad”, “most expensive EVER” and “Premiership Ready” don’t forget) any better than McGhees who we never made any bones about, were punching above their weight and 4th from bottom would be fantastic. Or indeed the squad Coppell put together, that would have stayed up if he’d been here to do it in August rather than after Hinshelwood.

If you think I pine for Withdean or wish that we weren’t at the Amex, that’s missing the point - like those who think a reaction to #together is anger, it's not, it's a great big sigh. I crave a return to a more HONEST assessment of where we are. Don’t treat me like a fool, I won’t buy into the nonsense, or be kidded into believing the overly positive outlook, but to make me feel like the grumpy, miserable one when I just try to return my expectations to something approaching realism is just not on. The club is doing the dreaming, and that should be MY thing. When the club told us we can’t afford anyone, I would convince myself that Cullip is a beast, and if the Coca-cola kid could only fulfil his potential, then with Leon Knight, we COULD do something here. I do that, ME, because I’m an optimistic fan, but these days, because the clubs picture is painted so much brighter than mine (and all reality), I end up feeling like the miserable, curmudgeon. And that’s not FUN! It also makes me feel like I’m being intentionally misled, I’m being sold something as gold, when it’s clearly not.

I was comfortable with the club being the voice of reason, while the fans delude themselves in blind optimism, seeing potential in everyone, waaay beyond what they will actually achieve. That’s how it should be. A friend of mine still laughs at me for once suggesting Codner could end up playing for England! But that’s what we do, we talk up our players to our friends, work colleagues, the Man Utd “fan” in the pub. I can take the player who once drove past Old Trafford and refer to him as ex-Man U, or the kid who scores 3 in 2 pre-season games as the new “goalscoring sensation”. But now it is the club that declares “Brighton sign Real Madrid striker!” NO! That is exactly what I may have said as a joke at work, but when it’s the club who do that, it’s just embarrassing.

As I say, everything is hype, hype, hype, and anyone who questions it is not really on the same side as the club. Whether it’s being told we increase the budget every year, or have the most expensive squad ever, or have a top 6 squad, or the thinly veiled fury at Poyet suggesting 4th was our ceiling, we just seem to have lost sight of reality OR we don’t want our customers to see the reality because they might stop buying. Go down THAT route and it’s a horrible realisation that perhaps we are at times being blatantly misled so that we empty our pockets over and over again.

Please can we sign someone to excite us before the season starts. Someone to REALLY excite us, a marquee feel good signing because at the moment it just feels grim. And if we can't afford it, let's just say so. No-one would blame Tony for saying "I have to slow down on the spending lads. Some clubs are spending crazy cash, and we can't live with that, we have to leave them to ruin themselves. We will NOT ruin this club by spending what we can't afford, and if that means we are not signing many, and leaning on the DS more, then I hope you all understand why, and get behind these kids, and the great opportunity this will give them".

I'd have no problem with that, I'd return to dreaming big, convincing myself that Rea, Tilley, Monakana and Harper will be our very own Class of 1992. But for some reason when it is the club setting unrealistic expectations, it just leaves me feeling deflated. Please can we stop the hype, stop the Corporate nonsense, and just get back to telling us how it is.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Great post, hard to disagree with much of what is written there :thumbsup:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Spot on. I don't care if we have a crap team that can't compete I'm used to that, but please don't tell me we are great and set for a push for the top six, when it's clearly not true. I'm a loyal fan not a prat. The club only set themselves up for a fall doing that.

If I'm at work and I think the computer system will be down for 30 mins, I tell people it will be out for an hour. system returns in 30 mins happy people if it takes longer no grumbling. But if I told them 20 mins and it takes 30 mins pissed off people. It all about setting expectations.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
... we are at times being blatantly misled so that we empty our pockets over and over again....
Please can we stop the hype, stop the Corporate nonsense, and just get back to telling us how it is.

I for one am shocked that Hughton refused to level with the Argus: "Well, Andy, frankly we're a bit shit. It'll be a relegation dogfight all season long. I'm not really up to the job, and the squad is utter pants."

A generation ago, before all the hype, that's precisely what any manager would have said.

No-one would blame Tony for saying "I have to slow down on the spending lads. Some clubs are spending crazy cash, and we can't live with that, we have to leave them to ruin themselves. We will NOT ruin this club by spending what we can't afford, and if that means we are not signing many, and leaning on the DS more, then I hope you all understand why, and get behind these kids, and the great opportunity this will give them".

Anybody reading this board, who could still reach this conclusion, isn't actually reading this board...people have been blaming him for the last two seasons...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I used to think it was just Sky Sports with their incessant "Best League in the WORLD" crap, where they feel they have to just tell us that everything is so completely fantastic. But it has extended far beyond that in football these days, and in fact, while chatting to a mate today, I've realised it is the clubs approach of hype everything ALL THE TIME, is the driving force behind much of my growing frustration, and detachment from the club..

I spend all season fighting against giving myself false hope, “it’s the hope that kills you” and we all know it, so I was much more comfortable with the club openly saying “look we know this is a bit shite, and we’re so sorry that we can’t afford the players we’d like, but we can’t compete financially. Anyway, here’s a poncho, and if you could spare a fifty we’re having a whip-round to try and buy someone better.” Question for you good people to ponder, was last years team (“top 6 squad”, “most expensive EVER” and “Premiership Ready” don’t forget) any better than McGhees who we never made any bones about, were punching above their weight and 4th from bottom would be fantastic. Or indeed the squad Coppell put together, that would have stayed up if he’d been here to do it in August rather than after Hinshelwood.

If you think I pine for Withdean or wish that we weren’t at the Amex, that’s missing the point - like those who think a reaction to #together is anger, it's not, it's a great big sigh. I crave a return to a more HONEST assessment of where we are. Don’t treat me like a fool, I won’t buy into the nonsense, or be kidded into believing the overly positive outlook, but to make me feel like the grumpy, miserable one when I just try to return my expectations to something approaching realism is just not on. The club is doing the dreaming, and that should be MY thing. When the club told us we can’t afford anyone, I would convince myself that Cullip is a beast, and if the Coca-cola kid could only fulfil his potential, then with Leon Knight, we COULD do something here. I do that, ME, because I’m an optimistic fan, but these days, because the clubs picture is painted so much brighter than mine (and all reality), I end up feeling like the miserable, curmudgeon. And that’s not FUN! It also makes me feel like I’m being intentionally misled, I’m being sold something as gold, when it’s clearly not.

I was comfortable with the club being the voice of reason, while the fans delude themselves in blind optimism, seeing potential in everyone, waaay beyond what they will actually achieve. That’s how it should be. A friend of mine still laughs at me for once suggesting Codner could end up playing for England! But that’s what we do, we talk up our players to our friends, work colleagues, the Man Utd “fan” in the pub. I can take the player who once drove past Old Trafford and refer to him as ex-Man U, or the kid who scores 3 in 2 pre-season games as the new “goalscoring sensation”. But now it is the club that declares “Brighton sign Real Madrid striker!” NO! That is exactly what I may have said as a joke at work, but when it’s the club who do that, it’s just embarrassing.

As I say, everything is hype, hype, hype, and anyone who questions it is not really on the same side as the club. Whether it’s being told we increase the budget every year, or have the most expensive squad ever, or have a top 6 squad, or the thinly veiled fury at Poyet suggesting 4th was our ceiling, we just seem to have lost sight of reality OR we don’t want our customers to see the reality because they might stop buying. Go down THAT route and it’s a horrible realisation that perhaps we are at times being blatantly misled so that we empty our pockets over and over again.

Please can we sign someone to excite us before the season starts. Someone to REALLY excite us, a marquee feel good signing because at the moment it just feels grim. And if we can't afford it, let's just say so. No-one would blame Tony for saying "I have to slow down on the spending lads. Some clubs are spending crazy cash, and we can't live with that, we have to leave them to ruin themselves. We will NOT ruin this club by spending what we can't afford, and if that means we are not signing many, and leaning on the DS more, then I hope you all understand why, and get behind these kids, and the great opportunity this will give them".

I'd have no problem with that, I'd return to dreaming big, convincing myself that Rea, Tilley, Monakana and Harper will be our very own Class of 1992. But for some reason when it is the club setting unrealistic expectations, it just leaves me feeling deflated. Please can we stop the hype, stop the Corporate nonsense, and just get back to telling us how it is.

Post of the year.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No-one would blame Tony for saying "I have to slow down on the spending lads. Some clubs are spending crazy cash, and we can't live with that, we have to leave them to ruin themselves. We will NOT ruin this club by spending what we can't afford, and if that means we are not signing many, and leaning on the DS more, then I hope you all understand why, and get behind these kids, and the great opportunity this will give them".

Agreed. I too think the chairman tells it like it is.
Like here from a few months ago...

"While we do want to play at the highest level we cannot simply open our cheque book and start spending without care or attention. We must continue to run this club as prudently as possible. Regardless of the FFP regulations.. we support a system designed to ensure football clubs are run more sensibly.

We do accept as uncomfortable as it is, that most Championship clubs are currently loss making as a means of supporting their own ambitions and we’re aware that other clubs have chosen alternative strategies…but we won’t deviate from our path…

…For all our teams to be playing at the highest level remains our ambition. To achieve this we have invested heavily in infrastructure and organisation to give us the best possible chance of success and to create the right environment. However we must accept that there is no guarantee of success. Its important that we work hard in all areas of the club to maximise our playing budget . If we are successful off the club that can only help us on it, and we know what matters most to our supporters. "

via http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/doc150115-15012015133454229-2206891.pdf

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Screenshot_2015-06-01-19-56-08.png

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I share your sense of delusion with the club's current marketing approach, Gritty, but have always been able to keep that completely separate from my own expectations of on-field performance. While I regard this forthcoming season with some trepidation, fearing a long, desperate slog with little entertainment in another battle to stay up, I understand the club can't try to sell a lot more seats than they once had to with that message. And I don't think they're trying to reach those of us who've been around for a long time, who were among the few during the club's lowest ebb. I think (or at least, I hope) they're trying to catch and keep newbies, kids, 'tourists' and part timers who may occasionally fill one of those seats. They can't, though, tailor the marketing differently like that, so we all see the same crap.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

I'm pretty certain our club, or any other for that matter, have never been that honest...and for very good reason. It would be preparing to fail, and the resultant drop in crowds as the newer fans no longer see us as having any Premier League ambition would make failure almost inevitable. We have a great stadium and academy that cost a packet to run at a time when finances and competition at this level, if you play by the rules, has never been tougher. So if the marketing is a little over optimistic at times, and that over optimism keeps people spending cash that means we at least have a chance of getting into the Play Offs, then that's something I'm well prepared to swallow.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
There are many reasons for the club and fans to feel optimistic tbh. We recently reached the playoffs for two consecutive seasons. We have a great stadium and a newly built training academy. All of that plus many other things make me 'hype' for this coming season and the future of the club in general.

#werenotloose

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anybody reading this board, who could still reach this conclusion, isn't actually reading this board...people have been blaming him for the last two seasons...

Actually, I don't read this board much anymore, but I do know what you mean. Amend that to "No-one in their right mind would blame Tony ..... "

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think if you wanted to limit your exposure to all the nonsense surrounding the Albion, you would have to avoid here, the Seagulls website, unsubscribe from marketing emails and just attend matches, buy the Argus. Most of the rest is bullshit anyway.

I do wish the Club were more realistic with what we can expect for the season though, which is not a lot based on our business so far.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
None of this bothers me at all. It goes straight through me, and doesn't exist as a problem within my albion experience.

I just have 5 problems with the albion at the moment, which I hope they'll mostly fix asap. That's simply the 5 signings we still need.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

I have managed to harden myself against being constantly disappointed that a top notch marquee will not be arriving. I now accept it is other clubs that go down that route. Some will do well, others will not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup, totally with you on the creeping (well, rampant) commercialisation of BHA these days. As a club I know they’re not alone in that, its ALL about “maximising margins” these days to apparently make us competative. But I guess this change is brought into sharper focus for the likes of us when you look at where we were not that very long ago. And no, I’m not seething, I’m not angry, so people on here who say “why get so wound up about something as minor as the #Together” etc are missing the point. Its not just that daft hashtag in isolation, it’s the steady creep of it, the incessant accumulation of GUFF. And its just….TIRESOME. I’ve grown weary of it.

There was a simple honesty to BHA when we were rubbish. We weren’t trying to market ourselves, or be something we weren’t. We were what we were. Crap ground, a crap team most of the time, take it or leave it. Now though, we’re so desperately falling over ourselves trying to convince fans (and potential fans) what an amazing club, a team that’s going to be challenging, we’re going places, a Premier League club in the making, come and join the ride, hype hype hype, blah blah blah. And the trouble with that is, when the team doesn’t live up to the hype, when it abjectly fails in the most important part - on the pitch - the club looks…well, a bit silly. All talk, no substance. Emperors clothes and all that.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The thing is, supporting a club in our situation has it's good parts and bad parts. Whether you like it or not, we are desperately trying to be a Premier League club it started with the stadium, continued with the re-vamping of our entire commercial team and is ongoing with the new academy. With this comes a different message to the club 10 years ago.

Despite the vast infrastructure improvements, we seem to struggle to attract players. Do you really think it would get easier being honest and saying "Listen, we have less money to spend than most teams, the squad is bang average and we'll do well to hit top 10"? It's not like the club can send a private message to each fan saying "Don't tell our transfer targets, but it's going to be a bit crap this season".

I get the yearning for more honest assessments from the club, but I recommend sharing my approach: We are a bit like Arsenal during their stadium repayment days, we have a lot of outgoings going out paying back our infrastructure improvements and all the while we are heavily indebted in that manner, we will be a Championship club unless there's a concurrence of events that results in promotion.

Set your own expectations, if you want to be optimistic be optimistic, if you feel we're under strength fine. What the club says has always been smoke and mirrors to certain degrees. If you look at the squad, the manager and everything else, you can make your own judgement. What anyone else says is just part of the circus.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The great thing nowadays is there are sites like this to expose and make fun of the spin and their ilk. We can get on with the business of watching the football and dreaming. Go Tether.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Interesting that the OP mentions that he does not read this board much. As an "outsider" as it were, I am not bombarded with marketing stuff from the club 24/7, other than the occasional email re Seagulls Player, Lotto and I got an email yesterday saying that tickets for Sevilla are still available. What I do see is that the level of expectation on here from some is huge, but I have not seen much from the club so far regarding expectations from them - just the usual "we are working very hard" from the manager and CEO. If anything, the #together thing is very much a downgrade on the One Club One Ambition, Premier League Ready stuff. Perhaps the message is getting through to them?

I can understand that it begins to rankle particularly when things on the pitch have not been good. But I understand why the club have to do it - they have a shiny stadium to fill, hopefully with lots of youngsters who will stay with the club for a long time, and there is lots to be optimistic about long term. Perhaps a suitably worded question at the Fans Forum may be appropriate?

#toomuchype

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here