Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Theatre Thread

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have been to see 3 productions in the last week so thought I would give my brief reviews but keen to hear from others as to what to see and what to miss.

The Mentalists *** (3 Stars)

A 2 man play starring Stephen Merchant and Steffan Rhodri set in a hotel room. I enjoyed it, good dialogue and some very funny one liners. The first half is average but it improves a lot after the interval. Rhodri is excellent, Merchant is good but you can tell that it is his first play, he is a little too shouty! Only paid 17 notes for this and actually got moved into stall seats for gratis so all in all it was a good night out.

39 Steps **** (4 Stars)

A play I had been meaning to see for ages but only just got around to it and glad I did, went to see this as a matinee but the theatre was packed and enjoyed by everyone. Only 4 cast members playing a range of characters with a few individual performances being superb. It is very slapstick and silly but I really enjoyed this and there seemed to be a real range of ages in the audience too.

The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time ***** (5 stars)

The best play and production I think I have ever seen. The acting is superb, particularly the lead role. The set is used in inspiring and innovative ways. There is pathos throughout, a real mix of humour, intelligence and compassion. If you have the chance to see this then do not hesitate, absolutely gripping from start to finish.

So, other reviews please (even if they are plays that have been on for some time)

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I have been to see 3 productions in the last week so thought I would give my brief reviews but keen to hear from others as to what to see and what to miss.

A 2 man play starring Stephen Merchant and Steffan Rhodri set in a hotel room. I enjoyed it, good dialogue and some very funny one liners. The first half is average but it improves a lot after the interval. Rhodri is excellent, Merchant is good but you can tell that it is his first play, he is a little too shouty! Only paid 17 notes for this and actually got moved into stall seats for gratis so all in all it was a good night out.

39 Steps **** (4 Stars)

A play I had been meaning to see for ages but only just got around to it and glad I did, went to see this as a matinee but the theatre was packed and enjoyed by everyone. Only 4 cast members playing a range of characters with a few individual performances being superb. It is very slapstick and silly but I really enjoyed this and there seemed to be a real range of ages in the audience too.

The best play and production I think I have ever seen. The acting is superb, particularly the lead role. The set is used in inspiring and innovative ways. There is pathos throughout, a real mix of humour, intelligence and compassion. If you have the chance to see this then do not hesitate, absolutely gripping from start to finish.

So, other reviews please (even if they are plays that have been on for some time)

I agree with you about both 39 Steps and The Curious Incident.

Last thing I saw was a Cinema Beamback of:-

Everyman - Royal National Theatre **** (Four Stars)
A modern day take on a medieval morality tale. Challenging theatre but an absolute multi-media treat with the new Director of the National, Rufus Norris, throwing everything at it. Great leading performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave) and as ever at the National, a consistently high performance level from everyone on the stage. Having seen the beamback I'd quite like to get down to see it live before it finishes - it's part of the Travelex season so there's loads of tickets at £15.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw 'To kill a mockingbird' in Chichester at the beginning of the year. You could hardly hear the actors, especially the children. It was like watching a mime and was a complete & utter waste of time and money. 1 star only.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

39 Steps **** (4 Stars)

Cheers for reviews - good idea. Very much looking forward to seeing the last one in a week or so. Book is excellent.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Saw Dead Simple at the Connaught Theatre in Worthing the other week. Excellent and it was good to see the theatre completely sold out for the whole week. 5*

Also saw 39 Steps at the Connaught a couple of years ago. Again excellent 5*

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I saw 'To kill a mockingbird' in Chichester at the beginning of the year. You could hardly hear the actors, especially the children. It was like watching a mime and was a complete & utter waste of time and money. 1 star only.

I sympathise. Went to see Calendar Girls a few years ago; much the same as you describe.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
19th Gdańsk Shakespeare Festival starts today...

http://shakespearefestival.pl/

http://esfn.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gdansk-shakespeare-festiwal-2015.pdf

http://www.teatrszekspirowski.pl/index.php

... in our newly built Shakespearean theatre...

_X5A5433.JPG

gdansk-interior.jpg

15226507737_2cd0e56a80_b.jpg

Worth checking out, if you happen to be in Poland at the moment.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Elephant Man - Bradley Cooper was superb, he is a fine actor and full respect to him going back to his roots in a small, unflashy theatre, 5 stars, the play itself did not have the power and punch that his acting talents deserved with a patchy story, 3 stars, overall 4 stars

Les Miserables - I have been meaning to see this for 2 decades and did, it was the greatest musical I have ever seen and a glorious show, Phil Daniels was in it and was superb as was the whole cast and Peter Lockyer was magnificent in the lead role, 5 stars

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here