Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer Stays as Captain

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Hughton has announced that Greer will be captain again this season.
Does this mean no CB signing is imminent?

Shirley it's time for a change. Would like to see Kayal take over personally.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Would certainly suggest that Greer will be in the first 11 plans this season. Possibly because the club know tha Dunk will be out the door so any new signing will replace him?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing

greer shouldnt be captain for me i would like to see kayal as captain

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nothing like getting behind your team eh? Shame we didn't sign a few players from Barcelona, Bryan Munich and Chelsea IMO

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
A captain that is no longer good enough to be in the team!!!

Well says it all really.....

He is the weak link in that back line......Dunk will want to move before he collapses from exhaustation covering his mistakes!!!

Have you let Scotland know that he is useless. Perhaps they haven't noticed.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs

Very This.
I think Kayal is THE MAN for Captain.
He has the experience & I'm sure we've all heard him organising the midfield during games almost from his first match for us.
Also he has that fighting spirit you need when you're one nil down, to rally the team and urge them forward.
Get it done Chrissy!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You can easily have a club captain and on-the-pitch captain - we have done in recent years. I personally think taking the captaincy away from Greer would have been quite disrespectful, especially from a manager who has only just come into a club which has had relative success over the previous 5 years. I personally am not reading much into it. (Although I am also not quite as pessimistic about Greer as a player than a lot on here).

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
were-all-doomed.jpg

:ffsparr:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
You can easily have a club captain and on-the-pitch captain - we have done in recent years. I personally think taking the captaincy away from Greer would have been quite disrespectful, especially from a manager who has only just come into a club which has had relative success over the previous 5 years. I personally am not reading much into it. (Although I am also not quite as pessimistic about Greer as a player than a lot on here).

I would agree with this. I have never rated Greer above average for skill though he has a true Scots commitment, I posted on here about 4 years ago that he wouldn't get you promoted.

But whist Kayal has skill and drive I think he still has to prove himself, maybe a couple of months yet before the armband is passed over.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
new bandwagon developed this year about Greer being not up to it.

We had a decent defence last year. Yes he may be getting on and make mistakes but we can do a lot worse.

Not the biggest issue in the world for me

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very This.
I think Kayal is THE MAN for Captain.
He has the experience & I'm sure we've all heard him organising the midfield during games almost from his first match for us.
Also he has that fighting spirit you need when you're one nil down, to rally the team and urge them forward.
Get it done Chrissy!

You don't need an armband to be a captain. Good teams have leaders all over the pitch.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Greer doesn't pick himself to play, the manager does.

Greer hasn't selected himself as captain, the manager has.

I'm saying this because it has irked me quite how readily some Albion fans have given stick to Gordon Greer over the last couple of years or so. Since the 'sideways move' he made from Swindon he has been the mainstay of our backline during a period of significant success for our club built, largely, upon a miserly defence. There can be few, if any, players in our history that have such a low goals conceded per game average as Greer.

Beyond all that, he is a leader on the pitch, although I get some do not like the way he can berate those who have erred.

Off the pitch he always comes across very well indeed too, as I'm all of those with kids who have asked him for a photo and/or autograph will testify.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004

I'm saying this because it has irked me quite how readily some Albion fans have given stick to Gordon Greer over the last couple of years or so. Since the 'sideways move' he made from Swindon he has been the mainstay of our backline during a period of significant success for our club built, largely, upon a miserly defence. There can be few, if any, players in our history that have such a low goals conceded per game average as Greer.

Beyond all that, he is a leader on the pitch, although I get some do not like the way he can berate those who have erred.

Off the pitch he always comes across very well indeed too, as I'm all of those with kids who have asked him for a photo and/or autograph will testify.

We'll have none of that, thank you, there's a witch hunt to be had

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's an excellent defender, a strong leader and a credit to our club off the field.

For me he's an obvious captain.

It's hardly his fault Sami Hyypia's tactics placed the full backs on the halfway line and left him and Dunk totally exposed. Greer will silence a lot of critics this season, I'm sure.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Perfectly put.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here