Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monakana & Tilley - Would you be happy if...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Would you be happy if we snapped up another season of Tex and Bennett/Marshall on a permanent deal and then used Monakana (RW) & Tilley (AM) as backup?

Seen plenty of people suggest we need 3-4 attacking players, but that strikes me as unrealistic. These two are probably the most "ready", so...would they make your squad?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Tiley yes, Monaka should be shipped out for the benefit of how own career.

We would also need to sign another striker and get rid of Colunga.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tiley yes, Monaka should be shipped out for the benefit of how own career.

We would also need to sign another striker and get rid of Colunga.

Neither Tilley nor Monakana are ready to start for the 1st team yet.

We need to sign at least one more striker, and KEEP Colunga. I saw enough from him in his fleeting appearances last season to suggest that he is does have goals in him, providing he isn't played out of position again.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We need two wingers on top of March & Lua Lua. I think Tilley & Monakana being back up to those four is perfectly reasonable

Realistically, the budget isn't going to be there for that.
So, how about one plus Jeff?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Realistically that is all we can expect, most ikely being Marshall. I have doubts we'll see Tex again TBH.

Maybe get a winger on long term loan and a striker on 6 month loan whilst the real madrid kiddy gets up to speed. And sign a permanent 25- 30 year old central defender.

Stumpy Tim

But your question suggested two players coming in? I think we need two wingers and don't need a Tex replacement - maybe one of the wingers need to be able to play behind the front-man. If we're playing 4-4-1-1 we currently have Baldock playing being Hemed, and March can play that role well too, and of course Tilley.

One thing I don't want to see is Calderon, Bruno or Rosenior playing as wingers when we have Tilley and Monakana available. Why Hughton played Rosenior on the right against Aberdeen is beyond me. We also have Ward who Hughton seems to rate.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
But your question suggested two players coming in? I think we need two wingers and don't need a Tex replacement - maybe one of the wingers need to be able to play behind the front-man.

Ahh ok. You bamboozled me with not wanting a new Tex.
Thanks for your thought-provoking response :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We need to sign at least one more striker, and KEEP Colunga. I saw enough from him in his fleeting appearances last season to suggest that he is does have goals in him, providing he isn't played out of position again.

If Monakana isn't ready at 21 he never will be. Aberdeen and their fan base liked him. Mainly used in the last 15 mins on a regular basis..

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Would you be happy if we snapped up another season of Tex and Bennett/Marshall on a permanent deal and then used Monakana (RW) & Tilley (AM) as backup?

Seen plenty of people suggest we need 3-4 attacking players, but that strikes me as unrealistic. These two are probably the most "ready", so...would they make your squad?

Have not got a problem with either on the bench as they will probably remain fitter and more reliable than the other two over the course of the season anyway. Lua Lua has been here long enough to be an automatic starter but has not become a permanent starter so, I assume that Tilley and Monokana are now on a par with him squad wise. Solly March must be on a last chance saloon this season as we cant afford to carry any sick note players in this squad. I would be happy if we signed one quality winger and had any of the other four on the bench although getting March fit and back to under 21 form would be a bonus. Could be time to cash in on Lua Lua though.

Stumpy Tim

Solly March must be on a last chance saloon this season as we cant afford to carry any sick note players in this squad. I would be happy if we signed one quality winger and had any of the other four on the bench although getting March fit and back to under 21 form would be a bonus. Could be time to cash in on Lua Lua though.

Harsh on Solly that is! He had a rough season with injury granted, but it's not like he's had numerous years of injury. He got a nasty back injury which takes time to heal - took Andy Murray two years to recover from his

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Harsh on Solly that is! He had a rough season with injury granted, but it's not like he's had numerous years of injury. He got a nasty back injury which takes time to heal - took Andy Murray two years to recover from his

Would be very happy to see Solly back and fit as he looked VERY good two years ago. I am just worried that he is going to be one of those players who is always injured. His pre - season has not started too well either and that is not the back problem. Is it 17 minutes of football?.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I've been impressed by Solly when I've seen him, give him a chance!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Lualua should have a better season, with a full back behind him who is prepared to over lap. It is much harder to double up on a winger when the full back is also a threat. Monakana I don't rate, but more than happy to be proved wrong about him.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Would be very happy to see Solly back and fit as he looked VERY good two years ago. I am just worried that he is going to be one of those players who is always injured. His pre - season has not started too well either and that is not the back problem. Is it 17 minutes of football?.

Solly March was 21 last month!!....you are seriously suggesting he is in last chance saloon. I'm absolutely staggered. Steven Gerrard had back trouble all the way through his early career. Look what Liverpool would have been giving up on with a similar approach to yours. Last chance saloon... brilliant! I can't get over that.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Why are they not ready? Unless we give them a chance who knows how good they are, was very dissapointed hughton didn't use the DS and opted to go down the loan route last season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would rather have 2 new excellent wingers, and have Harper take the Tex position when fit.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Marshall and a goalscoring number 10 plus these two with Hambo & Harper to come.
A centre back to push Greer and Dunk with Rea and Dallison coming through

Three more signings but they absolutely have to be quality

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Monakana needs to be given his chance.
He has done L1 (Preston) and SPL (Aberdeen).
Most of us were surprised when he was kept last season so the club must have seen something.
I would certainly rather invest game time on him that some loan player from another club.
Tilley needs nurturing still and maybe loaned out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here