Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom's letter to season ticket holders

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I've moved one of my ST this season so the letter/new card turned up this morning. Not sure if its been quoted on here before (it might have been so apologies if so) but here it is
(have missed out all the smartcard info/gubbins/time and kick off of Forest etc)

"We are continuing to work hard to bring in more quality and depth to the squad. You will have already seen that to date., we have brought in 6 new players into our first team squad. Rosenior, Hemed, Maenpaa, Bong, Harper, Hambo our summer recruits so far. We still have work to do in terms of player recruitment and we will continue to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks.

Obviously last season did not go as we had intended, and our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level you had become accustomed in the previous two seasons. Everyone at the club is united in our aim to get promoted to the Premier League. We know the Championship is fiercely competitive and we are all motivated by the challenges that lay ahead.

In closing i would like to wish Chris and the players the very best for the new season ahead and thank you for your support - It is something i say every season, we are all very proud to be one of the best supported clubs in the Championship"

Interesting that he views Hambo and Harper as first team squad players. My assumption was they will be, when fit, in u21s/dev squad for a while yet. Hambo at least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting that he views Hambo and Harper as first team squad players. My assumption was they will be, when fit, in u21s/dev squad for a while yet. Hambo at least

I expect both to see far more development squad action initially, although both have been given full (and not DS) contracts. I think they will have the aim of being in match day squads by the end of the season however.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've moved one of my ST this season so the letter/new card turned up this morning. Not sure if its been quoted on here before (it might have been so apologies if so) but here it is
(have missed out all the smartcard info/gubbins/time and kick off of Forest etc)

"We are continuing to work hard to bring in more quality and depth to the squad. You will have already seen that to date., we have brought in 6 new players into our first team squad. Rosenior, Hemed, Maenpaa, Bong, Harper, Hambo our summer recruits so far. We still have work to do in terms of player recruitment and we will continue to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks.

Obviously last season did not go as we had intended, and our aim this year is to be much better on the pitch, getting back to the level you had become accustomed in the previous two seasons. Everyone at the club is united in our aim to get promoted to the Premier League. We know the Championship is fiercely competitive and we are all motivated by the challenges that lay ahead.

In closing i would like to wish Chris and the players the very best for the new season ahead and thank you for your support - It is something i say every season, we are all very proud to be one of the best supported clubs in the Championship"

Interesting that he views Hambo and Harper as first team squad players. My assumption was they will be, when fit, in u21s/dev squad for a while yet. Hambo at least.

I am hoping that this is now a new policy of signing youth with potential and blood them in the first team early, rather than signing the likes of Best. Someone on here says that the club have said this, but I have not seen it. Have you? I know that there is the possibility that the emergency loan system will disappear.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'll be surprised and disappointed if one, if not both, of Harper and Hambo haven't moved to the first team squad by January

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I am hoping that this is now a new policy of signing youth with potential and blood them in the first team early, rather than signing the likes of Best. Someone on here says that the club have said this, but I have not seen it. Have you? I know that there is the possibility that the emergency loan system will disappear.

Not sure the club have said this publicly but via Andy Naylor's sources then he wrote this at the beginning of the window which is where i think this comes from .
"Albion will still exploit season and half-season-long loans but are focusing more on developing players from the under-21s as cover options for the first team in preparation for the disappearance of the emergency loan safety net"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/SPORT/13217967.Albion_to_cut_back_on_loan_signings/.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is no way that Harper in particular has signed a 2 year contract to kick around in the bhafc dev squad. He'll be off asap if he's not part of the senior squad pretty quickly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed re: Hambo and Harper potential but didn't envisage them being first choice or even in the match day squad for a few months at least.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure the club have said this publicly but via Andy Naylor's sources then he wrote this at the beginning of the window which is where i think this comes from .
"Albion will still exploit season and half-season-long loans but are focusing more on developing players from the under-21s as cover options for the first team in preparation for the disappearance of the emergency loan safety net"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/SPORT/13217967.Albion_to_cut_back_on_loan_signings/.

Good, thanks. That makes sense.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Harper's said he aims to have a shot in the first team by Christmas, with the Kanye-like confidence he seems to hold I think he will be expecting to hold down that first team spot once he's cracked it. :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
At least he hasn't claimed that we have put together a "top 6 squad" this time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be nice if the club didn't have a first team squad that any kid off the street can just stroll into.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we are relying on the likes of Hambo to get us the goals this season we are ****ed.[/QUOTE

I do love the way we write players off before they even kick a ball

We have three strikers who have shown themselves not to be good enough, 1 who is unknown but not prolific and two teenagers who have been playing with the stiffs all their young careers so excuse me if I'm not expecting any of them to pull up any trees this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We have three strikers who have shown themselves not to be good enough, 1 who is unknown but not prolific and two teenagers who have been playing with the stiffs all their young careers so excuse me if I'm not expecting any of them to pull up any trees this season.

Agreed.
Hambo has played a dozen games in Finland, and Harper has spent his career in the Spanish 3rd division having never played a 1st team game in his life. If we are actually looking at pitching these two into the Championship to help spearhead this campaign, then I will find that alarming. If Tony Bloom considers them to be signings for the 1st team, then that is a worry.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Both hambo and harper are injured. We are looking good for a bottom 3 finish.

Need two wingers, creative midfielder, and a centre back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed.
Hambo has played a dozen games in Finland, and Harper has spent his career in the Spanish 3rd division having never played a 1st team game in his life. If we are actually looking at pitching these two into the Championship to help spearhead this campaign, then I will find that alarming. If Tony Bloom considers them to be signings for the 1st team, then that is a worry.

I don't believe that any of that is the case though, so rest easy Easy.

The players will be expected to be pushing for inclusion in match day squads before the end of the season. That's a long way from an expectation that we are pinning all of our hopes upon them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.

We have signed 6 players sounds better than we have signed 4 players, which is pretty piss poor given the number we released/lost last season. I doubt either Hambo or Harper are ready for the first team but it is an attempt to cover how poor our recruitment numbers have been so far.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here