Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton is actually a pretty rubbish place to live

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
(Has this been on here already?)

The council is even thinking about the [beach smoking] ban sums up exactly how woolly, liberally-lefty yet draconian, confusedly-thinking this little slice of English coastal conurbation is.

The city, on a Saturday night, smells of nothing more than greasy fish and chips, stale booze, vomit and desolation.

This is a city where the council allows people to identify as Mr, Mrs or Mx on official forms (Mx means Mixter, meaning someone who doesn’t define as male or female), and where it is quite normal to see people taking drugs in public.

Lest anyone forget, Brighton is the place where ageing DJs and burnt-out London media workers move to reconnect with their “inner selves”. Gaz from Supergrass lives there. So do the Levellers, Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim, Annie Nightingale, Mark Little and Chris Eubank. Cate Blanchett used to own a house in neighbouring Hove, but she saw the light and sold up. Yes, there are some normal people who call the city home, but they are a minority – or at least, that’s how it appears.

MORE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...an-sums-up-whats-dreadful-about-the-city.html

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
What a strange article. It's like she has a personal grudge on the city. I'd be interested to know where she exactly lives and what her dream city is!

Yes, Brighton isn't perfect, and just like anywhere else it has it's negatives, but it's a damn sight better than a lot of places in England.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Annie Nightingale is Brighton born and bred. She went to the same school as my mother. That's a tad unfair Bozza.

*just checked her wiki page. Now, my mum swears Annie went to Varndean and was there when she was. My old dear was born in 36 so it's possible...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
(Has this been on here already?)

The council is even thinking about the [beach smoking] ban sums up exactly how woolly, liberally-lefty yet draconian, confusedly-thinking this little slice of English coastal conurbation is.

The city, on a Saturday night, smells of nothing more than greasy fish and chips, stale booze, vomit and desolation.

This is a city where the council allows people to identify as Mr, Mrs or Mx on official forms (Mx means Mixter, meaning someone who doesn’t define as male or female), and where it is quite normal to see people taking drugs in public.

Lest anyone forget, Brighton is the place where ageing DJs and burnt-out London media workers move to reconnect with their “inner selves”. Gaz from Supergrass lives there. So do the Levellers, Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim, Annie Nightingale, Mark Little and Chris Eubank. Cate Blanchett used to own a house in neighbouring Hove, but she saw the light and sold up. Yes, there are some normal people who call the city home, but they are a minority – or at least, that’s how it appears.

MORE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...an-sums-up-whats-dreadful-about-the-city.html

Point of info on this. Gaz doesn't live here anymore, Norman Cook lives in Hove but has lived in the B&H area since the 80s, Annie Nightingale has lived here since forever, Eubank grew up here, Mark Little hasn't been since about 2010 and isn't even z-list celebrity status anymore, Cate Blanchett used to own a house in Kemptown. Apart from that....

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I never quite understood why journalists attack a City or Town in a national rag. What's the point? It'll make the locals think less of you and if you don't live in the city in question why would you bother to read it? Odd. Smacks a little of a desperate need to be noticed, positively or negatively. Maybe daddy never visited enough? Or did he and his new girlfriend move down to Brighton?

As someone who grew up in Brighton, moved to London for ten years and has only recently returned I can tell you Brighton is a beautiful city. London, for the most part, is pretty grim. Sure central is fantastic but who can afford to live there? The cultural delights of Tottenham, or Harringey, or Wood Green, or some of the cestpits south of the river have nothing on Brighton.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It gets worse......

The proposed smoking ban in Brighton and Hove’s beaches and in parks could also be extended to the outside of pubs and restaurants.

The consultation questionnaire that was published last week includes separate questions covering the outside seating areas of both types of venue.

Any ban would not be enforceable by law. But the council is keen to find out whether the public have an appetite for further smoke-free eating and drinking.

If so, officials are likely to work with pub and restaurant owners and operators to encourage them to bring in their own extra restrictions.
--------------------

As a non-smoker, married to a smoker, I already spend chunks of the night sitting on my own guarding her drinks..... if she has to wander half way across the city to find somewhere she is allowed to smoke, we may as well not bother going out!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the London luvvies have always lived in Brighton
why even larry lived there for a while don't you know

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Point of info on this. Gaz doesn't live here anymore, Norman Cook lives in Hove but has lived in the B&H area since the 80s, Annie Nightingale has lived here since forever, Eubank grew up here, Mark Little hasn't been since about 2010 and isn't even z-list celebrity status anymore, Cate Blanchett used to own a house in Kemptown. Apart from that....

Indeed. What a ridiculous piece of poorly researched, spiteful click-bait. I guess she just couldn't afford the little terrace behind North Laine that she wanted to buy, and artfully accesorise with old lobster pots and bouys. Silly bitch.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I never quite understood why journalists attack a City or Town in a national rag. What's the point? It'll make the locals think less of you and if you don't live in the city in question why would you bother to read it? Odd. Smacks a little of a desperate need to be noticed, positively or negatively.

In this particular case, it's the right-leaning press attacking a liberal city smack bang in the heart of traditionally conservative territory. Fills column inches when you have nothing else to say, and reinforces readers' pre-existing prejudices. The same almost certainly goes for the reverse, I'm sure The Guardian do similar pieces on Tory/UKIP constituencies.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Let her spread the word about how horrible our wonderful city is... Hopefully it might put off some of her fellow Londoners from coming down at the weekends and trashing the place!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Magnus Volk designed the WORLD's first railway.

In BRIGHTON.

Without this, a LOT of people would have a long walk to work..

Well, to a point. Electric railway. But still - amazing.

Anyway, that piece is almost a tribute to the place. If you're pissing off the BBC-hating, pro-hunting Telegraph, you must be doing something right.

But this stuff like smackheads in parks that the Argus is rightly highlighting is truly grim though. To that extent even my tolerance in seeing your hometown desecrated by scumbags shooting up next to toddlers gets challenged somewhat.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
More cliche riddled drivel from someone who realises they can get decent click bait out of our fine city. Glad she stayed away.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here