Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinook over Hove

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Just heard the monster that is the Chinook flying south-west over Hove, possibly towards Shoreham.

I've never seen one of these lovelies in Sussex before, any idea if the forces train with the Chinooks over this way?

I'm also not ruling out that the Chinook is transporting Zamora/Owen/Beckham to Lancing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think you will find that the Chinook was based at RAF Odiham in Hants, it's the front line support base for Helicopter command, and many Chinooks are stationed there.

We have several of them flying low over Cowfold, sometimes as many as half a dozenor so a week.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I was based with those bad boys at Odiham, just outside Basingtoke and next to village of Hook just off M3. Doesn't surprise me you saw it, in fact suprised you don't see more of them. I went everywhere with them, my favourite aircraft which is the RAF work horse.

As posted in thread, Odiham is front line. They have a squadron there that support SAS and special ops shall we say, the pilots there are remarkable in what they can do to say the least

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Flew over my house in Lancing about 5 mins ago, Love those things could watch them all day.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nope, didn't see or hear that one.

I think it's a first for me in Sussex.
Saw enough of them in Suffolk a few years back though.

That one flew along the coast which I did see. Didn't see today's and been at home all day. Nothing like seeing a Chinook, they look almost preposterous!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
If flying towards France, I would suggest it may be on route to Germany. Gutesloh which is no longer in RAF possession had a Fleet there, they tend to stop and refuel in France before flying on further

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That one flew along the coast which I did see. Didn't see today's and been at home all day. Nothing like seeing a Chinook, they look almost preposterous!

It would have been a great photo op if I had a half decent camera.
My window faces West and the Chinook was flying straight past the sun through the breaking cloud.
Glad I spotted it and I'd forgotten how loud they are, even a good distance away.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Saw one crash on airfield once when gear shaft was put in wrong, the blades subsequently went out of sync. At time I was based there, if I remember right...the pilots weren't happy flying them due to aircraft software Fadec having issues. This they think may have caused the incident at mull of kintyre, the pilots were cleared on a follow up investigation

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I was based with those bad boys at Odiham, just outside Basingtoke and next to village of Hook just off M3. Doesn't surprise me you saw it, in fact suprised you don't see more of them. I went everywhere with them, my favourite aircraft which is the RAF work horse.

As posted in thread, Odiham is front line. They have a squadron there that support SAS and special ops shall we say, the pilots there are remarkable in what they can do to say the least

Ah, that would be why I've seen Chinooks over that part of the M25.

Apache's seem to make an appearance quite often over Crawley. One even landed a couple of weeks ago.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
RAF shawbury is rotary wing training as well, so you may see them over Wiltshire too, although the conversion to chinook happens at Odiham I think once you qualify as rotary wing pilots

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here