Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye Goldstone

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Just thought I'd post this even though I'm sure it's been posted before.
Some what ironic how Brighton's financial plight is compared to Bournemouth's (who at the time appear to be worse off) and are now starting their first season in the top flight.

I wasn't around at the time of the Bellotti/ Archer stuff.

After reading some of the posts about the Albion getting into debt,paying some of it's players unrealistic high wages and living beyond it's means, on the Albion/ Palace late 70s early 80s thread. I thought I'd watch this video with an open mind.

What I can't understand is when Bellotti states that the club's debts can be cleared by selling the Goldstone, and building a new stadium on a piece of land less than a mile from the Goldstone.

Surely buying the land (less than a mile from the Goldstone), and building a new stadium, would put the club further into debt, than just staying at the Goldstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mG-o6-S7uE

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I can't understand is when Bellotti states that the club's debts can be cleared by selling the Goldstone, and building a new stadium on a piece of land less than a mile from the Goldstone.

Surely buying the land (less than a mile from the Goldstone), and building a new stadium, would put the club further into debt, than just staying at the Goldstone
Surely that brown Berkshire couldn't have been talking Tom.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just thought I'd post this even though I'm sure it's been posted before.
Some what ironic how Brighton's financial plight is compared to Bournemouth's (who at the time appear to be worse off) and are now starting their first season in the top flight.

I wasn't around at the time of the Bellotti/ Archer stuff.

After reading some of the posts about the Albion getting into debt,paying some of it's players unrealistic high wages and living beyond it's means, on the Albion/ Palace late 70s early 80s thread. I thought I'd watch this video with an open mind.

Surely buying the land (less than a mile from the Goldstone), and building a new stadium, would put the club further into debt, than just staying at the Goldstone.

It was bullshit anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It would have been cheaper to build a new ground at Waterhall than to upgrade the Goldstone to bring it up to league standard. So the payment of the £6m debt would have had to be followed by an investment from Archer. To invest in the Goldstone Ground would have been a waste of money in the long term because the limitations of the East Stand was a massive problem in any future development at the site. Waterhall would have been the best location but for the council blocking it, so although the fans didn't like the sale of the Goldstone, it wasn't such a Mad Hatter idea in principle.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here