Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Stop talking, start closing the gaps in our squad.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What else is he going to say?

"Unfortunately we haven't been able to do as much business as we wanted in time for the start of the season.
We had multiple targets but considering FFP and other clubs that have parachute payments to fund their transfers, it's proved much harder to bring in the quality signings that we hoped for
."

28,000 fans instantly deflated and ticket sales plummet.

So Plan A remains the same, keep a smile on for the fans and they'll spend their money.
They'll let us know that they've failed to sign the targets first week of September, but the vast majority of STH will have signed up by then so all's well.
Better luck next time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Stop talking, start closing the gaps in our squad.

You do realise he was being INTERVIEWED right?

It's not like we were about to close a deal and Chris stood up from the player negotiation and said "sorry chaps. I just need to go and tell everyone we will be ready for the season"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You do realise he was being INTERVIEWED right?

It's not like we were about to close a deal and Chris stood up from the player negotiation and said "sorry chaps. I just need to go and tell everyone we will be ready for the season"

"The time for talking is done! IT'S TIME FOR ACTION!"

"Er, you're in a press conference"

"The time for talking is not quite done yet!"

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have a lot more faith in Hughton, whom I consider a safe pair of hands, than I did with Sami. With Sami, I remember very little transfer activity followed by the ominous "I only wants to sign players who will improve his squad." Now, other than the loan signing of Tex, and the additions of Stockdale and Baldock (both decent) the majority were bench warmers. Danny Holla, Paddy McCourt, Adrian Colunga, Chris O'Grady, Nzuzi Toko. Did they improve the squad or swallow up valuable wages? How many top Championship players could we have had with the combined wages of Holla/McCourt/Colunga? Of course you never know, we could have signed a massive flop and hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, I think it's true to say that towards the end there was just a definite sense of desperation transfer wise. I honestly don't think we could identify the right players and if we could I don't think we were able to find the fee they'd command. The fee will be an issue for the foreseeable for clubs like us, but I'm confident Hughton knows what a good Championship player looks like.

I'm much more comfortable with Hughton's methods. I'm a little sad to be seeing the end of a tippy-tappy 433 but if Hughton thinks his strengths as a manager lies with a 442 then that's his decision to make. He knows what players work in that system and he's working hard to fill the gaps. We're in for a transitional period - Poyet's team have either moved on or got old - Sami's team? Well the less said about them the better. I don't think this will be a season for "We're f***ing brilliant" or "Hughton out!" chants. It'll see us guide to a steady midtable position and build. That kind of talk doesn't sell season tickets of course but I'd be surprised if that wasn't Blooms expectation for the coming campaign. Give Hughton a couple of seasons to get the squad he wants together. He's got teams out of this league before and I think he'll see us promoted - just not this season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We need 4 signings as a minimum in my view to be "ready" for the new season - a striker, winger, creative mid and centre-back. I expect us to be ready by the end of the window, not before but maybe CH knows something I don't.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
I have a lot more faith in Hughton, whom I consider a safe pair of hands, than I did with Sami. With Sami, I remember very little transfer activity followed by the ominous "I only wants to sign players who will improve his squad." Now, other than the loan signing of Tex, and the additions of Stockdale and Baldock (both decent) the majority were bench warmers. Danny Holla, Paddy McCourt, Adrian Colunga, Chris O'Grady, Nzuzi Toko. Did they improve the squad or swallow up valuable wages? How many top Championship players could we have had with the combined wages of Holla/McCourt/Colunga? Of course you never know, we could have signed a massive flop and hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, I think it's true to say that towards the end there was just a definite sense of desperation transfer wise. I honestly don't think we could identify the right players and if we could I don't think we were able to find the fee they'd command. The fee will be an issue for the foreseeable for clubs like us, but I'm confident Hughton knows what a good Championship player looks like.

I'm much more comfortable with Hughton's methods. I'm a little sad to be seeing the end of a tippy-tappy 433 but if Hughton thinks his strengths as a manager lies with a 442 then that's his decision to make. He knows what players work in that system and he's working hard to fill the gaps. We're in for a transitional period - Poyet's team have either moved on or got old - Sami's team? Well the less said about them the better. I don't think this will be a season for "We're f***ing brilliant" or "Hughton out!" chants. It'll see us guide to a steady midtable position and build. That kind of talk doesn't sell season tickets of course but I'd be surprised if that wasn't Blooms expectation for the coming campaign. Give Hughton a couple of seasons to get the squad he wants together. He's got teams out of this league before and I think he'll see us promoted - just not this season.

It wasn't really Hypia signing the players though was it? Ultimately we are guided by a budget, although i appreciate the club have changed the recruitment setup and the manager probably has more of a say now.

I think it is very clear that we are not going to spending big this season and you do wonder how Derby and Middlesborough are able top pay out for some quality signings( none of these have had parachute payments) Lets hope Hemed proves to be shrewd business as if he doesn't work out I really can see us struggling for goals again.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
"The time for talking is done! IT'S TIME FOR ACTION!"

"Er, you're in a press conference"

"The time for talking is not quite done yet!"

Good excuse to roll this one out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here