Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the message getting through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

Not once but twice over the last couple of days I have nearly hit other drivers because they where using their mobile phone.

Going across the roundabout van pulls right out in front of me. One hand on steering wheel, other with mobile. The bloke didn't even see me.

Yesterday at the crossroads thought the bloke was going straight across and at the last minute decides to turn left, no indicator because he didn't have a spare hand, too interested in chatting on his mobile.

When is the message going to get through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous. Why do people still do this, why do they still put other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists in danger and where are the Police?

Wish the law was changed to make driving whilst using a mobile an instant ban for say 2-3 months.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not once but twice over the last couple of days I have nearly hit other drivers because they where using their mobile phone.

Going across the roundabout van pulls right out in front of me. One hand on steering wheel, other with mobile. The bloke didn't even see me.

Yesterday at the crossroads thought the bloke was going straight across and at the last minute decides to turn left, no indicator because he didn't have a spare hand, too interested in chatting on his mobile.

When is the message going to get through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous. Why do people still do this, why do they still put other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists in danger and where are the Police?

Wish the law was changed to make driving whilst using a mobile an instant ban for say 2-3 months.

Couldn't agree more with you. Does my head in the amount of people who do it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
"Where are the police?".

How many drivers do you think there are, out of interest, and how many police?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Yes but if the police were to sit incognito in one place for 10 minutes they would catch literally dozens of mobile users, in fact they would be swamped. We need more cameras but not necessarily speed ones.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
This is one of My pet hates, why can't people not do without a phone while driving. If you're that desperate to use a phone get Bluetooth/hands free fitted.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I think the message is getting through it's just they have not set up any sort of notification so don't realise whilst they're jabbering on the phone, thankfully. Cos there's nothing worse than someone texting whilst driving!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ha, pay more taxes then perhaps the government will permit the sort of resources you seem to wish for, old man.

Didn't think you of all people were keen on too many OB being around at the best of times though.

:whistle:

Regards

Etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Yes but if the police were to sit incognito in one place for 10 minutes they would catch literally dozens of mobile users, in fact they would be swamped.

They do, and do :wave:

You probably don't see them though, what with being incognito & all that :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ha, pay more taxes then perhaps the government will permit the sort of resources you seem to wish for, old man.

Or divert the resources used from the pathetic alcohol sting operations and the mobile speed camera units. Oh, and some of the budget from the 20+ strong communications / marketing team at Sussex Police.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What I find weird is that 90% of people I see holding and using a phone whilst driving are van drivers - ie people who drive as part of their job. I don't get why people who spend part of their working day driving, and often have to take or make calls at the same time, would not have hands free- it's not expensive.

Maybe making it compulsory to install some sort of hands free solution in all commercial vehicles would be a good measure?

scooter1

How soon is now?
A lot of new vans come with Bluetooth built in, but it's not always the new van drivers that are the problem. This is a bug hear of mine, along with not wearing a seatbelt. Kids will have had to wear a seatbelt when they learnt, and took thir test, so is it now cool to drive without one..... Just like it was cool to smoke when I was younger

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I see load loads of this.

To generalise, most of the people I see talking on the phone whilst driving are men - usually van drivers - whilst women seem to be texting / swiping their phones.

I would be in favour of similar penalties for those caught and prosecuted as for drink-driving. It is the only way to change behaviour.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
A hands free kit / bluetooth device is pennys on e bay, even the very cheap ones are good quality, absolutly no reason these days for idiots to let themselves be distracted and be a potential killer to others, mindless freaking selfish idiots!!

And the amount of people I see texting while driving is just unreal!!

I bet if the truth is known (of course I have no evidence to back this up) many accidents / bumps etc etc are because of idiots using mobiles / texting etc.....

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I see load loads of this.

To generalise, most of the people I see talking on the phone whilst driving are men - usually van drivers - whilst women seem to be texting / swiping their phones.

I would be in favour of similar penalties for those caught and prosecuted as for drink-driving. It is the only way to change behaviour.

I agree totally, as long as there are no exceptions to the rule.....

copper.jpg

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You sometimes see ordinary usually retired people with speed guns and the smiley face speed displays. Why can't a group of retired people be given cameras and they sit at road sides taking photos of people on mobiles. Two photos are needed one of the person and one of the number plate. Yes many would get through but loads would get caught. Easy to prove if the mobile phone companies played ball.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

Your example of calling the Mrs etc is fine, but many many people are on the phone for business / work reasons, which in many cases means their concentration is not on the road! its on the conversation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here