Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brinsley schwarz.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
hmmm - not so sure they were Dave Edmunds backing band tbh

Hmm- I was just being a smart arse with one of my all time favourites - Dave Edmunds. There's a couple of tracks on Subtle as a a Flying Mallet when they were just that - Dave's backing band!

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Hmm- I was just being a smart arse with one of my all time favourites - Dave Edmunds. There's a couple of tracks on Subtle as a a Flying Mallet when they were just that - Dave's backing band!

ha sorry! i think they all worked on each others albums - this from Wikipedia (admittedly - but backs up my recollection):

Nick Lowe, along with Dave Edmunds, recorded four albums as Rockpile, though only one (Seconds of Pleasure) was released under the Rockpile banner. Two other albums (Tracks on Wax 4 and Repeat When Necessary) were released as Dave Edmunds solo albums, and one more (Labour of Lust) was released as a Nick Lowe solo album.

But you a re right about the Flying Mallet album.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Great band, love the tune about motorways.............will have to look that up again! well done good call.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
While the Brinsleys never made a Live Album themselves, there is a whole CD of them playing at the infamous 1972 Roundhouse Greasy Truckers Party .

The original vinyl version had a butchered set of just 5 tracks but the 2007 Triple CD has the full set of 17 songs.

Great sets by Man & Hawkwind as well, the latter debuting a really ropey version of Silver Machine!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
ha sorry! i think they all worked on each others albums - this from Wikipedia (admittedly - but backs up my recollection):

Nick Lowe, along with Dave Edmunds, recorded four albums as Rockpile, though only one (Seconds of Pleasure) was released under the Rockpile banner. Two other albums (Tracks on Wax 4 and Repeat When Necessary) were released as Dave Edmunds solo albums, and one more (Labour of Lust) was released as a Nick Lowe solo album.

But you a re right about the Flying Mallet album.
The original Rockpile album by Dave Edmunds was one of my very favourite albums, not least because for some quirky reason in my weird musical mind, it was the first piece of music I bought on Regal Zonophone, a label which somehow had acquired an odd special status in my head!

I still have my 'Seconds of Pleasure' on vinyl by Rockpile the band, including the free EP, and took Mrs Earle to see them in Norwich as part of our honeymoon fortnight!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Dave Edmunds was, and is, a genius. Pure simple straightahead rock'n'roll played as it should be played

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Rockpile also on side one of Juppanese from Mickey Jupp with Nick Lowe producing which is far superior to side 2

Dave Edmunds was, and is, a genius. Pure simple straightahead rock'n'roll played as it should be played

..As is Nick Lowe, also Billy Bremner (not the Scottish Footballer) who I saw live at the Cartoon Club in Croydon leading a red hot band with a pianist, possibly Geraint Watkins, who could have easily given Jerry Lee Lewis a run for his money. Mr Bremner played guitar on "Back on the chain gang" by the Pretenders but allegedly wasn''t pretty enought to be in the video.

Am now going to play "..I Knew The Bride" off "Live in Montreux.." very loud. Pub Rock, sadly underated.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
While the Brinsleys never made a Live Album themselves, there is a whole CD of them playing at the infamous 1972 Roundhouse Greasy Truckers Party .

The original vinyl version had a butchered set of just 5 tracks but the 2007 Triple CD has the full set of 17 songs.

Great sets by Man & Hawkwind as well, the latter debuting a really ropey version of Silver Machine!

I've got the original vinyl album - on 10" vinyl. It used to be worth a fortune. I doubt it is now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here