Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Gallagher - Southampton

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any club could be selected and their name thrown in the hat. Mind you, O'Rourke is very reliable.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Would be a strange loan move, they will want him to have game time and not sit on bench. Unless baldock goes back on wing ( hope not) is there room for him? We do need another striker but do we want to develop one that has potential and isn't even our player.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Would be a strange loan move, they will want him to have game time and not sit on bench. Unless baldock goes back on wing ( hope not) is there room for him? We do need another striker but do we want to develop one that has potential and isn't even our player.

Very odd indeed. We have a new trio of striking potential - we don't need to develop players in that position for other clubs. However, proven Championship forwards with experience and goals are still required.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
With Tilley, The Finnish Zlatan and the Scottish Van Persie, don't we already have enough to young strikers of our own to develop?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
You've missed one. We need a name for Akindayini! How about the English Adebayor?

With Tilley, The Finnish Zlatan, The Scottish Van Persie and The English Adebayor, don't we already have enough to young strikers of our own to develop? :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With Tilley, The Finnish Zlatan, The Scottish Van Persie and The English Adebayor, don't we already have enough to young strikers of our own to develop? :thumbsup:

Answer = yes. Gallagher not required. An experienced striker / good enough for the Championship now is tho'.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
You want good strikers on the bench. It is absurd to talk about Championship clubs having too many strikers......how many strikers did Norwich have last season?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You want good strikers on the bench. It is absurd to talk about Championship clubs having too many strikers......how many strikers did Norwich have last season?

Do you understand the concept of a playing budget? Or restricting the chances of OUR U21 strikers?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tilley is a midfield player I believe. Two of the others are injured and the third is not yet Championship ready.

Tilley is a forward. Yes, 2 are injured, but one is back relatively soon, the other about 8 weeks away. From what I've seen, I would agree that one is not ready for the Championship yet. He needs to be developed by our coaches as he is our player, which is the point, surely?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
I've not seen Gallagher play but he is 6ft 4ins and has appeared for Saints first team.
Would you have objected to Bamford being on loan with us?
I appreciate budgetary constraints only too well but the Albion can't afford another season with only 47 points gained.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I've not seen Gallagher play but he is 6ft 4ins and has appeared for Saints first team.
Would you have objected to Bamford being on loan with us?
I appreciate budgetary constraints only too well but the Albion can't afford another season with only 47 points gained.

Wrong use of budget. We already have the U21 fringe strikers (one of whom is 6ft 4in BTW). We need another experienced striker to compete with Sam B (I am assuming Colunga will go, and COG will backup Tomer, although I'd like COG to be offloaded too).

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Wrong use of budget. We already have the U21 fringe strikers (one of whom is 6ft 4in BTW). We need another experienced striker to compete with Sam B (I am assuming Colunga will go, and COG will backup Tomer, although I'd like COG to be offloaded too).

Certainly agree with you that we need another striker to compete with Baldock. The trouble is we don't know whether players are going to score regularly in the championship until they have a successful run - I know that's an obvious thing to say. Perhaps Harper and the big Bosnian Finn can come into the team and score some goals in a few months time. On yesterday's evidence, Akindayini is not ready for the championship yet however.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Any club could be selected and their name thrown in the hat. Mind you, O'Rourke is very reliable.

Don't think he has been as reliable since leaving sky. Also seems to get paid to tweet or promote certain things on there now. All rather odd...

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Certainly agree with you that we need another striker to compete with Baldock. The trouble is we don't know whether players are going to score regularly in the championship until they have a successful run - I know that's an obvious thing to say. .

100% agree on the striker to compete with Baldock and I don't think Sam Gallagher is the answer. Out of 22 appearances (1717minutes) for Southampton in the U-21 Premier League he scored 3 goals. If he struggles to score in their dev squad chances are he won't be that natural goal scorer we need.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's way ahead of our young strikers, I'd love him for a season loan as back up to hemed and baldock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here