Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How does facebook work?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Looking on there tonight and it had listed a lot of people that i "might know" and maybe want to add as friends.
Fair enough, those that are members of the same group, people that are friends of friends etc, or those that i have had conversations with via messaging or on topics etc. i get all that.

But there several that are people that i do know that there is no connection what so ever, people i did not ever know had facebook accounts.
Where do they get the "info" from,

These people are not even people that i email, but do text occasionally, can they get info through phone records? but having said that (thinking aloud) i have not given facebook my phone number, so can't be that.

It a bit creepy to be honest.
Anyone on the inside that can enlighten us?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
facebook, and many other apps, hover up info from your contacts in the phone. even if you dont use the apps, some one else who does and has your number will, so it goes into the machine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Never has the word 'cats' been more welcome at the end of a sentence.
Yeah, it's not always welcome though, as I found to my cost when I confessed to a love of shagging pussy cats.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Facebook is for mothers bragging how great their sniveling kids are.

or for people posting a picture of the food they are eating abroad or a picture of a pint of beer they are just about do drink.

40 odd years ago people terrorised middle England by boring people to death with slide shows in their living room of their boring holidays,now there is a new generation of people boring people to death with their boring "look at me" life on facebook,a worrying number of the male culprits seem to have beards as well,

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nothing screams 'look at me' more than the cynical oh I don't do that comments :wink:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
or for people posting a picture of the food they are eating abroad or a picture of a pint of beer they are just about do drink.

40 odd years ago people terrorised middle England by boring people to death with slide shows in their living room of their boring holidays,now there is a new generation of people boring people to death with their boring "look at me" life on facebook,a worrying number of the male culprits seem to have beards as well,

Difference being you were stuck in the living room but nobody forces you to install Facebook

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Big Data analytics- they have pixies constantly looking at every piece of data anyone post on Facebook. If you type you live in Brighton and went on holiday to Blackburn then it analyses everyone else with that match and suggests them as friends. This example will not return many results. It is the same for loyalty card schemes, etc the real big brother.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

Spot on!

I know someone who does this regularly. Also someone who only posts pictures of her and her boyfriend out for a drink! Gets a bit repetitive!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Looking on there tonight and it had listed a lot of people that i "might know" and maybe want to add as friends.
Fair enough, those that are members of the same group, people that are friends of friends etc, or those that i have had conversations with via messaging or on topics etc. i get all that.

But there several that are people that i do know that there is no connection what so ever, people i did not ever know had facebook accounts.
Where do they get the "info" from,

These people are not even people that i email, but do text occasionally, can they get info through phone records? but having said that (thinking aloud) i have not given facebook my phone number, so can't be that.

It a bit creepy to be honest.
Anyone on the inside that can enlighten us?

Strange coincidence. I have a Facebook account that is largely dormant, but on checking it the other day I noticed my daughter's ex-boyfriend as someone 'I might know.' I am not linked to my daughter (who has a different surname to me) on there or anyone that her ex-boyfriend knows, there is just no connection and unlike you I don't have his phone number, have never texted or contacted him online in any way and this too left me wondering how Facebook had linked us.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Having your phone near other people's seems to add them to the " people you may know list" also. It happens to me at work alot. Christ, I see enough of these mongos during the week without the need to be reminded of them at home.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I thought Facebook was only for herbalife or juice plus reps telling us all about how they have the best job in the world and using annoying phrases last muttered by David Brent...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I barely use FB now because, as others have said above, the proliferation of over-sharing is quite horrendous and I found myself disliking people I very much liked before I read their Facebook missives.

Anyway, back to the main question. Coincidentally this morning I've received a "People you might know" email from FB and it's completely bizarre and seemingly constitutes only people with comedy names...

People you may know

Add the people you know to see their photos and updates.

Chiffy Nembudani-Ratshimbilani
Midrand, Gauteng
Add Friend

Pfunzo Claribel Ramugumo
Good Hope School
Add Friend

Zanele Zondo
Ernst & Young
Add Friend

Bbebusie Maphanga
Add Friend

Valentine Malevu