Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broad beans

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I love Broad Beans but wonder can you use the pods asa vegetable if so how do you cook them. Any ideas. My favourite vegetable though is home grown runner beans.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Crikey really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, roll on the footy

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Broad beans are the food of the Gods - not so sure about the pods though, might be a bit tough and stringy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I doubt it. Mine go in the compost bin. I noticed there are lots of fields full of them round ringmer way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think you can eat them whole, pods and all untill they get about as fat as a finger then they start getting tough. Mind you, they are crap beans, almost all other varieties of bean are more edible than Broads.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You shouldn't eat them but instead use them as bivouacs for woodlice.

.....or allow ants to cover them in black fly so that they can then milk them....
A great bean but this year had worst harvest in 15 years. Have heard of the top green leaf tips being eaten but not the pods.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
My mum used to cut the pod between the young beans and steam pod and all. One of my favorite veg, but they do have to be young.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
When out and asked do you like Broad Beans I am wary...I love them when approx twice the size of a pea...detest them when big old and tough skins..somewhat like runner beans and peas...small good big bad.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
My French beans have been brilliant this year , heaviest crop ever .( Memo to ones self ) stagger the planting next year as beans most nights gets a bit repetitive :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When out and asked do you like Broad Beans I am wary...I love them when approx twice the size of a pea...detest them when big old and tough skins..somewhat like runner beans and peas...small good big bad.

Agree with the runners being small but like older and harder broad beans and peas as much as the soft small new ones.
What a great thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here