Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hughton saying he will get more game time this season IF the club don't succeed in replacing Halford and Hughes.
With Greer currently injured I wonder how we might fare in the Championship with a youthful pairing of Rea and Dunk? I can't think of any instances where it has been tried and worked at a senior level. It was a disaster for Man U last season.

Could it be a lucky accident for us and actually come off or is it a recipe for relegation? I'm all for giving youth their chance but centre back is such a crucial pairing.............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you're good enough, you're old enough. We are unlikely to be anywhere near the top of the division so as long as we can blood some youngsters and try to stay out of the bottom three that will do for me. Much rather this than the shambles of last season with disinterested loans and League One journeymen, whilst being the most expensive Albion squad ever. Last season really pissed me off, I'd rather our young players fecked it up or made it work this year tbh.

Oh and being entertained some of the time would be good too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Elphick & Cook? Fair enough, the pairing started at League one level.

I did think of them but Tommy had played more than 150 games for us before that pairing started which is near double the experience Lewis Dunk has. That said in still convinced that Lewis is the better footballer although maybe Tommy has better leadership skills

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don't understand hughton's comment. He will play unless we bring in someone else? surely if he is good enough to get mentioned as a first team player we don't need anyone else in that position. Give the youth a chance

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He looks composed and very competent whenever I see him play, however he hasn't played a competitive game for us and it could be a bit risky playing him alongside Dunk who still seems prone to the odd mistake. Would prefer to get someone in with more experience to play alongside Dunk with Rea as 3rd choice and Greer 4th.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is the Argus that was saying he will get more game time. Reading the quotes CH says he could come more into contention which perhaps is only right if he is successfully developing. I do not think there is any doubt though that CH is looking for an experienced Centre Back

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I posted on the thread v Crawley talking to an ex player who watched the game said that he won everything in the air a la Steve Foster and Bruno everything on the ground a la Lawrenson and Stevens so perhaps that is the way forward for a CB pairing if needed especially cup games if we dont sell Lewis Dunk. If we do perhaps Dallison will step up to the mark.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We simply cannot go into the season with him starting or even as 3rd choice, another established experienced centre half is vital before the season starts

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We simply cannot go into the season with him starting or even as 3rd choice, another established experienced centre half is vital before the season starts

Why can he not be 3rd choice, dunk was and he hasn't done too bad. Players have to get their break into the match day squad at some stage, he either has to get a look in or go out on loan this season.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Greer and Dunk to start with Rea and Dallison as back up. PLUS Bruno, Calde and Ince can play there. Sounds ok to me. :albion2:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Very much this. It is key we bring in another experienced CB. Thankfully Hughton recognizes that also.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I can see where you're coming from but why would an established CB come here to be third choice? IMO Dunk has to be first choice but as Greer is captain will Hughton drop him? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that as captain he is untouchable merely questioning whether Hughton will continue to pick him based purely on the armband.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A Dunk, Rea pairing would probably be a good experience for Dunk, he would be the senior player and have to take the lead a little more. Would be good for Rea too. Not sure it would be the best thing for the team on the day though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here