Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour De France - is there a better way?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
As much as I like watching the occasional bit, I'm not sure I like a couple of things:

1) Large teams all fighting for 1 person's attempt to win

2) Same finish times for whole groups

The best way, in my opinion, to find the best rider would be:

1) Ok, have teams, but it's every man for himself - every rider out there is trying to win - so no team orders

2) Riders to be fitted with an electrical device to clock their start and finish time exactly - so instead of the Peleton trundling along behind the sprint finish and taking the same time, everyone will be hacking along - seconds count!

So NSC-ers, thoughts?

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My thoughts are one day classics are the races which are built more around the every man for himself concept rather than team racing. Tours are for the teams.

You're also forgetting that some teams do ride for individual wins. The teams without GC riders for example.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I believe the 'same time for groups' rule is to prevent the terrible accidents that would happen if a bunch of 100 riders all needed to get over the line quicker than the 99 people in front.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Todays race is amazing - they're all ganging up to try and attack Froome over 3 climbs - sensational stuff

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The top 5 GC riders, all on their own, all giving everything up this final climb. Brilliant racing!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The better way would be to cancel it and let all the vehicles use the roads meant for them.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As much as I like watching the occasional bit, I'm not sure I like a couple of things:

1) Ok, have teams, but it's every man for himself - every rider out there is trying to win - so no team orders

2) Riders to be fitted with an electrical device to clock their start and finish time exactly - so instead of the Peleton trundling along behind the sprint finish and taking the same time, everyone will be hacking along - seconds count!

So NSC-ers, thoughts?

As TB said the same time thing is to stop riders who cannot win fighting to be at the front on sprint finishes. As a result crashes would be far more likely.

Cycling is a team sport, and was pretty much from the beginning. Henri Desgrange tried to outlaw teams back in the day, but failed. I would say that actually the racing would be more boring if you outlawed team work. Ever watched a marathon all the way through? It is really boring, the strongest guy gets a lead, then is never seen again by his competitors, no excitement, no tactics. That is what would happen to cycling if they were all individuals.

Finally, how can you watch today's stage, and think, I know this sport needs some rules changing, that was nowhere near dramatic enough?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I remember rightly this same thing happened last year.

Le Tour and the Official thread trundle on for nearly 3 weeks.
Then right at the last knockings another thread pops up scattered with comment, conversational pieces and knobby comments.

All very odd.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Todays race is amazing - they're all ganging up to try and attack Froome over 3 climbs - sensational stuff

My point being that I assume this is a product of the way the race currently operates - so doesn't need changing.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

So NSC-ers, thoughts?

The team tactics are now an integral part of the race and I like it that way. There has been no shortage of action over this tour, one of the best, if not the best, I have followed in detail. In any case, how would you enforce a no team orders rule?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
My idea would be to do without the clock completely.

Start the Tour with 160 riders. Eliminate the last 8 to finish in each stage, leaving about 30 riders left to contest the final stage with a winner takes all balls out stage and a sprint down the Champs Élysées at the end.

Since suspicions automatically surround any participant who shows any sign of talent, wouldn't it be better to hand out the shirts to the riders who come fifth in whatever category is being contested?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two pages of cycling talk and no mention of road tax. Standards are slipping.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Without team orders, would Froome have won La Vuelta in 2011 if he was allowed to compete rather than handicap himself for Bradley Wiggins (who didn't win it and Froome finished 2nd overall just 13 seconds behind)

Would Froome have won La Tour De France instead of Wiggins in 2012 when he looked to be Sky's strongest rider but again handicapped by team orders (or did Sky want the first winner to be British rather than someone born in Kenya)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here