Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone recommend a Hove/Brighton based Divorce Solicitor

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Slightly off topic but, as the title suggests, I need a good, local (Hove) Family Law solicitor and would rather spend a small fortune with someone who comes recommended rather than someone with a cool website.

Has anyone been through this most painful of processes and can recommend whoever represented them or were particularly impressed with the other side's choice.

Property and Children are involved so want someone who is good... a lot at stake!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Without getting into trouble, am I allowed to say who DEFINITELY NOT to use on here because they were shite when they did mine? One missing signature cost me £10K

Ask any divorce solicitor and they will tell you that the best deal going is for the two parties to reach an amicable settlement, rather than employ expensive lawyers who will simply drain cash out of the final settlement and leave both parties worse off.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ask any divorce solicitor and they will tell you that the best deal going is for the two parties to reach an amicable settlement, rather than employ expensive lawyers who will simply drain cash out of the final settlement and leave both parties worse off.
Sound advice, but easier said than done when attempting to draw up a fair financial settlement with a mentalist.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Yes.... however 'amicable' is something that isn't going to happen now unfortunately. She is far too unstable.

We have been separated for 7 years with a 12yo and it is always been tense, but I haven't pushed things, let her stay in the old house, been [very] generous over voluntary maintenance payments (to the detriment of my own life) and have always accepted a "change of weekends" from here despite the fact that the few times I have asked it has almost always been refused and I have had to make other arrangements.

Had enough of her unstable behaviour, she has started to get increasingly unreasonable and, to add to the complexity, I am about to start a new business and there is no way I am risking everything I have right now on this venture for her to take half further down the line.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I ended up in prison following my divorce case. I had solicitor, she had a fecking barrister. Took 3 months to prove she was a lying bitch. I hate solictors! Good luck, and hope you get somebody decent.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my advice is really try and sort it out amicably between yourselves if you can.....the lawyers will be the only winners ....good luck...!!

sorry just read above......but still good luck .....!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I ended up in prison following my divorce case. I had solicitor, she had a fecking barrister. Took 3 months to prove she was a lying bitch. I hate solictors! Good luck, and hope you get somebody decent.

Prison?! Was it some sort of false accusation of domestic violence or something?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes.... however 'amicable' is something that isn't going to happen now unfortunately. She is far too unstable.

We have been separated for 7 years with a 12yo and it is always been tense, but I haven't pushed things, let her stay in the old house, been [very] generous over voluntary maintenance payments (to the detriment of my own life) and have always accepted a "change of weekends" from here despite the fact that the few times I have asked it has almost always been refused and I have had to make other arrangements.

Had enough of her unstable behaviour, she has started to get increasingly unreasonable and, to add to the complexity, I am about to start a new business and there is no way I am risking everything I have right now on this venture for her to take half further down the line.

Rather than a lawyer you could try suggesting mediation. This is what myself the ex-Mrs Westdene did - and we really weren't speaking. It takes about three sessions and you can opt to be in the same room or separate rooms. The mediator works between the two of you to draw up a legally binding separation agreement that you can then use in a divorce as courts recognise you have both made the effort to reduce any court time required. The agreement covers everything from child maintenance, access, pensions, lottery wins etc.

Seven years ago it cost about £175 a session. If either or both of you are on benefits then some of the cost is waived. Either way - the very best of luck - not a nice time at all.

EDIT - these were the people I used - http://www.fmisltd.co.uk/index.html

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Don't mean to pry, and apologies if this seems an insensitive question, but how on Earth did you end up in prison following a divorce?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I haven't had the pleasure personally, but I wouldn't want Liz Taylor at Edwards Harte in the opposition camp.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
find a woman solicitor they are always best

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
find a woman solicitor they are always best
This is bollocks. There are useless male solicitors and useless female solicitors. Gender is irrelevant despite divorce normally being a man v woman battle.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Don't mean to pry, and apologies if this seems an insensitive question, but how on Earth did you end up in prison following a divorce?

An absolute refusal to pay the cocaine snorting cow 120 quid a week maintenance for her and my daughter in the 80s. This after paying her 60 quid a week before the legal proceedings. Legally speaking, contempt of court after telling the judge he could **** off with that ridiculous amount.
After I managed to get out of Lewes, she took me to court again saying she would accept the 60 quid a week. By which time I was unemployed. Proved that she had lied about a whole heap of crap. Court made a new order of 3 quid a week for my daughter (obviously, I paid more when I was able, and paid the money to my ex partners mother who was fairly sane), and 10p a year for the snorting waste of space.
Threw a quid at her outside the court, and told her to keep out of my sight for 10 years.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here