Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Multiple victims in a shooting in Louisiana cinema

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I wonder why it is we concentrate on debating shootings in the US,is it because we expect the citizens to be civilised or because we are more likely to know someone that might be affected and therefore newsworthy ? I am a bit of a liveleak junkie and there are insane shootings all over the globe all the time,yet these never receive the same or any attention that an incident in the US receives .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I wonder why it is we concentrate on debating shootings in the US,is it because we expect the citizens to be civilised or because we are more likely to know someone that might be affected and therefore newsworthy ? I am a bit of a liveleak junkie and there are insane shootings all over the globe all the time,yet these never receive the same or any attention that an incident in the US receives .

That's an excellent question. I suspect it has something to do with our (Brits) inferiority complex with respect to Americans, combined with a lack of liking of what we perceive as arrogance, topped up by genuine bewilderment.

My theory goes something like this: we accept there is much to admire about a lot of the American life, but we dislike intensely what we see as American arrogance. Murder by gun is massively lower in the UK than in the U.S.; it's patently a bad thing that it's so high over there, so when it happens it fuels our schadenfreude and we just can't help gloating a bit that however good other things may be in the U.S., gun crime is dreadful.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Personally, I think that is simply due to the similaritaries we see (not with the guns) in their everyday society, with ours. It's not so hard to imagine ourselves being caught up in that cinema, or that shopping centre, or our kids in that school. That is why the U.S. ones hit harder than ones in the Far East or Africa or the Middle East.

By this token, I don't think it is just US incidents that would catch our attention - I think the same would be true of a similar incident in say Australia or New Zealand or Western Europe.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the ghost of Charlton Heston lives

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Americans are mostly stupid, add guns into the equation and..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am a bit of a liveleak junkie and there are insane shootings all over the globe all the time,yet these never receive the same or any attention that an incident in the US receives .
Are there as many in Germany, Italy, Spain and France?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Americans are mostly stupid, add guns into the equation and..

Oh yeah....

I think if we had the population of America I think we would top the stupidity world table.

Then if you add guns, I think we would also be giving the USA a good run for it's money on mass killings by mentally unstable people.

So your comment actually proves to me you may well be as narrow minded possibly even as stupid as some of the Americans you claim are stupid.

D

Deleted member 22389

Guns will never be banned in the US, the industry is worth billions of dollars and employs millions of people. Once again it all comes down to money.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Guns will never be banned in the US, the industry is worth billions of dollars and employs millions of people. Once again it all comes down to money.

Ban guns, shut the factories, legalise ganja, give all the former gun industry employees jobs cultivating weed, make $$$, everyone chills the **** out, homicide rates dwindle, people get even hungrier for that nutritious and delicious high fructose corn syrup.

Politics is easy :moo:

But nah, genuinely, guns are far too deeply-ingrained in their culture to do something about it now. Hell hath no fury like an American that has had their 'freedums' taken away.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

We're both Western, at a global level we're culturally almost identical. It is so shocking because America is the only country in the industralised world where this happens frequently and they take no action to address it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The US has 88 guns for every 100 population (compared to 7 in the UK). Even if gun control was introduced, it wouldn't stop killings from the 300 million guns already in the States.

US arms manufacturers are also very skilful lobbyists, and, coupled with the clowns in the NRA, have a vested interest in continuing the status quo. The industry is worth $31 billion a year, which is about six times the value of the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here