Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Killer' seagulls top the pecking order for a media frenzy

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Even the prime minister has been drawn into the debate over how to deal with the antisocial birds that are terrorising Cornwall and beyond

They have attacked pensioners, children, dogs, even a tortoise. They have stolen countless chips, Cornish pasties and doughnuts from unwary holidaymakers. The tabloids (and broadsheets come to that) have branded them killers and the prime minister has been drawn into the debate over what is to be done. It truly has been the year of the gull.

The latest attacks in Cornwall, south-west England – which appears to be the hotspot for attacks this summer – have left a 66-year-old woman needing hospital treatment and a four-year-old boy traumatised after his finger was savaged.

Sue Atkinson was pounced on as she walked her dog in Helston. She said: “All of a sudden I felt this whoosh. I saw it was a seagull and he came in again and cut the top of my head.

“I couldn’t see what was happening – I was oozing blood. It did frighten me. Apart from the fact I was bleeding, I was scared it was going to come back. It was like a scene from the film The Birds.” She staggered home and was taken to hospital where her wound was treated."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/23/killer-seagulls-top-the-pecking-order-for-a-media-frenzy

:eek:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
"Even the prime minister has been drawn into the debate over how to deal with the antisocial birds that are terrorising Cornwall and beyond

They have attacked pensioners, children, dogs, even a tortoise. They have stolen countless chips, Cornish pasties and doughnuts from unwary holidaymakers. The tabloids (and broadsheets come to that) have branded them killers and the prime minister has been drawn into the debate over what is to be done. It truly has been the year of the gull.

The latest attacks in Cornwall, south-west England – which appears to be the hotspot for attacks this summer – have left a 66-year-old woman needing hospital treatment and a four-year-old boy traumatised after his finger was savaged.

Sue Atkinson was pounced on as she walked her dog in Helston. She said: “All of a sudden I felt this whoosh. I saw it was a seagull and he came in again and cut the top of my head.

“I couldn’t see what was happening – I was oozing blood. It did frighten me. Apart from the fact I was bleeding, I was scared it was going to come back. It was like a scene from the film The Birds.” She staggered home and was taken to hospital where her wound was treated."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/23/killer-seagulls-top-the-pecking-order-for-a-media-frenzy

:eek:

Used to be amusing stories of how they would swoop on people near their nests etc years ago, but there can be no argument these fvckers are now out of control, over populated and quite dangerous!
Think a cull is now needed unfortunately!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
"Something must be done", I keep hearing.

Yes, stop feeding them and leaving rubbish out for them to eat.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
there can be no argument these fvckers are now out of control, over populated and quite dangerous!

We've been culling them ever since we took over their natural habitat and depleted their natural food supply resulting in a 50% drop in their population. If they could communicate with us I've no doubt they would be saying the same thing back at us!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We've been culling them ever since we took over their natural habitat and depleted their natural food supply resulting in a 50% drop in their population. If they could communicate with us I've no doubt they would be saying the same thing back at us!

Herring Gulls in the City of Brighton & Hove are despised by the majority of residents, they are nothing short of being vermin!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Herring Gulls in the City of Brighton & Hove are despised by the majority of residents, they are nothing short of being vermin!
The majority of residents in Brighton don't originally come from the city or the coast. I am sure that they are not nothing short of being vermin. Parliament is in summer recess so the media have to find this sort of story.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if you live at the seaside,you will have to put up with seagulls otherwise you could move away
seagulls are experts at opening black bags as are foxes ................put your black bags in a locked bin

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
if you live at the seaside,you will have to put up with seagulls otherwise you could move away
seagulls are experts at opening black bags as are foxes ................put your black bags in a locked bin

Well unfortunately for those of us living in urban B & H, the council seem unable to clear the "locked" bins in any sort of organised fashion hence the shit everywhere.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was listening to radio presenter this week so disconnected from reality that she said to a 'gull expert' 'Do you think in some small way it could be our (humans) fault?'

Couldn't make it up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you grew up here (Brighton) you would miss them if you moved to a landlocked part of the world, trust me.

They're arrogant F**kers thats for sure, I used to get dived bombed all the time and although I always knew that they wouldnt make contact, I would always duck at the last minute, piss takers too.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Even though they've nabbed a few bits of food off me down the years, I would hate to live somewhere without seagulls. That sound they make in the morning is special.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Even though they've nabbed a few bits of food off me down the years, I would hate to live somewhere without seagulls. That sound they make in the morning is special.

I missed 'em when I lived in the Midlands, coming back it was the sound of home(and our beloved club) . Cheeky so and so's but they have an arrogance & boldness that I admire.

It is a summertime silly story that will soon be forgotten

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I missed 'em when I lived in the Midlands, coming back it was the sound of home(and our beloved club) . Cheeky so and so's but they have an arrogance & boldness that I admire.

Agree with that, but with one sh1t they can completely cover a car!
Actually impressive animals, they live 10 to 15 years in the wild, mate for life and can drink salt and fresh water and both parents are very involved in rearing their chicks. Quick learners too! For all their faults, Brighton would be a worse place without them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well unfortunately for those of us living in urban B & H, the council seem unable to clear the "locked" bins in any sort of organised fashion hence the shit everywhere.

Eastbourne council manage it

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Couldn't agree more, Perfidious. I hate going anywhere where there are no seagulls; as you say, they are the sound of home. When I hear that "roosting time" sound they make as they come back from sea in the evening (very different to their loud cry) it makes me very glad I live here. They're part of the reason I wouldn't live anywhere else. Having one as our Club emblem just adds to my attachment to them. Beautiful, powerful creatures, effortless in flight, with heads whiter than anything else in Nature (OK, not Black-Headed Gulls!). Long may we continue to share their habitat with them........

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Used to be amusing stories of how they would swoop on people near their nests etc years ago, but there can be no argument these fvckers are now out of control, over populated and quite dangerous!

Ridiculous over reaction from half the country here, we have caught nine tenths of the fish that we eat in the sea since about 1850, leaving nothing or very little natural for the poor blighters to eat, do you idiots really think that the human race are the only creatures with a right to live on this planet. It`s going to be a grim place when we are all that is left.:angry:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Which part of the midlands did you live in - and how long ago? There are plenty of seagulls all over the ruddy place now. They're OK at the seaside - but inland they're a pest.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

What a dangerous place this is, birds that haven't got the decency to pop into Tescos, but scavage to keep themselves and their young alive. Us humans not content with just destroying the planet, now need to start on the wildlife as well :facepalm:

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Its a pain in the arse for us Postmen who have to go through being attacked by seagulls every day from the same addresses where they guard their chicks on the roves.
They try to peck you and dive bomb you with birdshit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here