Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Upson

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting - wasn't he injured a lot of last season?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Difficult one - on balance I'd say that we could and should try to do better.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He spent all season out injured I think he managed one or two appearances towards the end though.

I can't imagine this story is true.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Tricky.... if it was a choice of Upson or Greer, its a no brainer

However I expect us to be looking more long term now, we seem to be introducing pace along the back line now, hopefully so we can defend further up the pitch.
Upson and Greer will not be ideal for that...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This would be ideal. Not only an excellent player, but also another positive influence on our pretty decent crop of up and coming centre halves who I would like to think will be playing for us in a year or two. I would be well happy with this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nah, let's build for the future with youth. I will settle for a flirt with relegation this season if we are going to build a new team with younger players. You just tend up marking time at best with old men.

Anyway how are we going to keep selling players for millions if we don't get them young? :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This would be ideal. Not only an excellent player, but also another positive influence on our pretty decent crop of up and coming centre halves who I would like to think will be playing for us in a year or two. I would be well happy with this.

All that, IF he is properly fit.

Upson is a TERRIFIC footballer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whole thread has gone by / suggestions he'll go MK Dons etc and nobody has asked re the reliability of the twatter account? Looks like another bullshit made up one or if not one that gets its stories from the papers etc? Anyone know?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Tricky.... if it was a choice of Upson or Greer, its a no brainer

However I expect us to be looking more long term now, we seem to be introducing pace along the back line now, hopefully so we can defend further up the pitch.
Upson and Greer will not be ideal for that...

I think we saw the other night that he seems to be promoting one of the youngsters to the first team, so maybe he wants someone experienced alongside one of the youngsters. One thing CH is really big on and this is something I never know the difference with.

Apparently there are left sided centre backs and right sided centre backs and he doesnt like to play them in the opposite side from their natural position. I had never really spotted the difference before until we were chatting about Sebastian Bassong one time and he said, ''You cant really play them both together, because they are both left sided centre backs.

I was enlightened and now i know that Bassong is a left sided centre back. So if you can work out who are the left sided Centre backs and who are the right sided centre backs then you might get a clue as to who the pairings might be at the back

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we saw the other night that he seems to be promoting one of the youngsters to the first team, so maybe he wants someone experienced alongside one of the youngsters. One thing CH is really big on and this is something I never know the difference with.

Apparently there are left sided centre backs and right sided centre backs and he doesnt like to play them in the opposite side from their natural position. I had never really spotted the difference before until we were chatting about Sebastian Bassong one time and he said, ''You cant really play them both together, because they are both left sided centre backs.

I was enlightened and now i know that Bassong is a left sided centre back. So if you can work out who are the left sided Centre backs and who are the right sided centre backs then you might get a clue as to who the pairings might be at the back

With some its very obvious that they are only comfortable on one side. A very one-footed player won't want to play the wrong side.

Someone like Joel Lynch for example, is very much a left-side CB. Greer is right, and looks like a fish out of water on the left. Upson only ever played on the left (linking up nicely with Bridge) but he's probably experienced enough and rounded enough to be comfortable on the right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here