Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry advice please

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm just after a bit of advice. I was off to France today with the Eurotunnel but with all the crap going on and 3hr delays leaving Folkstone coupled with Stack on the M20, I've cancelled my ticket. I've booked myself on the Newhaven Dieppe ferry at 17.30 today with a view to getting a bit of kip and driving through the night to make up some time. I've got a cabin with 4 births for myself the misses and the kids. I've last used the Newhaven ferry about 30years ago on a school trip. So any advice would be appreciated, like for instance, do I have to take a blanket and pillows for the births? Are they clean etc? Is there somewhere to get rid of the kids while I have a nap?
Any advice is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

No advice but a moan that if it offered a better service it would be a "no brainer" for us to use on our French Hols rather than drive 60 miles in the wrong direction to start our trip at Dover (Portsmouth route not much use either).

I remembe the happy days when day trips to Dieppe (a nice town) were possible when they had the fast ferry running.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's fantastic - you'll get such a decent kip in that cabin (no, you don't need bedding etc) that you'll have to be woken up by the time everyone else is already well on the road to Rouen - that's what happened to me anyway. I ruddy LOVE the Newhaven ferry, it's a great service.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I haven't done this in a while so it might have changed but we did exactly that trip to see my dad about five years ago. He lives near Saumur in the Loire Valley. Our cabin was basically double bunk beds but was clean and equipped with pillows, sheets and duvets. There was a soft play area and some video games and that was about it. We both found it really hard to sleep with the time of day and the movement of the boat but we still made it to Dad's in about 5 hours of driving time. This did include a desperate pit stop for coffee, red bull and chocolate however. Ferry crossing was about four and half hours.

Since then we have moved to taking the day boat from Pompey to Caen, sleeping overnight in a hotel in Ouisterham and doing the car journey next day after proper sleep. The cabins and entertainment on Brittany Ferries were both better than the Newhaven one.

HTH

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It`s not 5 star but as others have said perfectly ok and when you get back ten minute drive...I go three/four times a year and would go no other way.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I am surprised they havent closed Dieppe port in support of Calais as the French tend to do the botch up completely.

Absolutely. France, with its TGV doing 190mph since the 1970s, has nothing whatsoever to teach us about public transport.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ignore - factually incorrect comment :(

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We're off to France tomorrow morning via Dover, and this Operation Stack malarkey is threatening to screw that up at the moment :(

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Cheers everyone! I'm just so used to the tunnel I always think of the Newhaven ferry as a second option I never use. But maybe I'll use it more depending how this trip goes. Really pleased with getting a cabin, more luxurious than sitting in your car!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We're off to France tomorrow morning via Dover, and this Operation Stack malarkey is threatening to screw that up at the moment :(

That's what made me change my plans. Stack started yesterday and the M20 is closed between J8-9. That's Leeds Castle all the way to Ashford. Quite a long way on the A20 in holiday queuing traffic. Couple that with more migrant trouble delaying departures at the tunnel by 2hrs. It might be much much better tomorrow, but for me I didn't want to take the stress of it as from 6 this morning, it's been getting worse.

If it's the Dover ferry you're on. Then you could use the M2.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's what made me change my plans. Stack started yesterday and the M20 is closed between J8-9. That's Leeds Castle all the way to Ashford. Quite a long way on the A20 in holiday queuing traffic. Couple that with more migrant trouble delaying departures at the tunnel by 2hrs. It might be much much better tomorrow, but for me I didn't want to take the stress of it as from 6 this morning, it's been getting worse.

We've booked the 9:25 ferry to Calais, but I went for the flexible ticket, which allows us 4 hours either side. I'm toying with leaving earlier 3am instead of 6am to ensure we get there, and if we're early catch an earlier ferry. I'll be knackered, but everyone else can sleep in the van.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Went as a foot passenger overnight 2 weeks ago and, while we didn't have a cabin, I thought it was perfectly fine service, facilities etc. Definitely going to start using that route more from now on...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We've booked the 9:25 ferry to Calais, but I went for the flexible ticket, which allows us 4 hours either side. I'm toying with leaving earlier 3am instead of 6am to ensure we get there, and if we're early catch an earlier ferry. I'll be knackered, but everyone else can sleep in the van.

Good idea, that's exactly what I would do if I were using the ferry to Calais.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm just after a bit of advice. I was off to France today with the Eurotunnel but with all the crap going on and 3hr delays leaving Folkstone coupled with Stack on the M20, I've cancelled my ticket. I've booked myself on the Newhaven Dieppe ferry at 17.30 today with a view to getting a bit of kip and driving through the night to make up some time. I've got a cabin with 4 births for myself the misses and the kids. I've last used the Newhaven ferry about 30years ago on a school trip. So any advice would be appreciated, like for instance, do I have to take a blanket and pillows for the births? Are they clean etc? Is there somewhere to get rid of the kids while I have a nap?
Any advice is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

I hope the car is big enough for all those extra kiddies.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No advice but a moan that if it offered a better service it would be a "no brainer" for us to use on our French Hols rather than drive 60 miles in the wrong direction to start our trip at Dover (Portsmouth route not much use either).

I remembe the happy days when day trips to Dieppe (a nice town) were possible when they had the fast ferry running.
It's a great service! The ferries are lovely. Drinks and food are good and really cheap. Yes, it would be good to have the fast service back, but it's a no-brainer to use it, particularly if you're going to that part of France.

It would be good if they spent a bit of money on the Newhaven port to bring it up to the standard of the Dieppe one. Fingers crossed they will do one day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cheers everyone! I'm just so used to the tunnel I always think of the Newhaven ferry as a second option I never use. But maybe I'll use it more depending how this trip goes. Really pleased with getting a cabin, more luxurious than sitting in your car!
Not sure if that's a joke or not but there are several nice bars to sit in, you're not allowed to stay in your car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here