Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aspiration?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit of a buzz word post election. Seems to have calmed down now though. But what does it mean to you? Anything? Do you have to aspire to something?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Bit of a buzz word post election. Seems to have calmed down now though. But what does it mean to you? Anything? Do you have to aspire to something?

Albion in the premier league even if it is just a couple of seasons.

England winning a trophy at football (men and women's teams.)

Living long enough to see the above.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I don't think you have to aspire to anything.

But, in both your private life and your career if you don't set yourself goals, have aspirations or have a list of things you want to achieve then you will probably just muddle through life, usually complaining about how unfair it is along the way.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I aspire to being like you.........

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Politically, it's a meaningly vacuous platitude. It's something politicians say when they have no real policies or alternatives to offer people.

To individuals it means 'goal' or 'ambition', almost everybody wants to better themselves. Be it by earning more money, buying a home or perhaps even pursuing a University education or skilled apprenticeship. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact it should be encouraged.

However, when politicians talk of 'aspiration' (or worse still, 'an aspiration nation' (*vomit*)) they are saying the words meaninglessly. They aren't offering lower tuition fees, more apprecieships or affordable housing or anything that could tangibly help people. It's a word-crutch for career politicians who are out of ideas.

The Labour party keep saying they ''need to get in touch with the aspirations of hard working families.'' How about no. How about defining what the often-spouted 'hard working family' actually is. How about scrapping 'getting in touch' and instead offer them concrete, solid, costed policies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But, in both your private life and your career if you don't set yourself goals, have aspirations or have a list of things you want to achieve then you will probably just muddle through life, usually complaining about how unfair it is along the way.

I kind of see my life as one long bucket-list. I guess I do "aspire" but more towards experiences as opposed to material items. I don't actually possess an awful lot beyond my house and my record collection. I do appreciate the house, in today's market, puts me in a privileged position though. I don't own a car or anything and prefer to not have one. I probably have more pairs of sunglasses than I need though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Well put, Butch.
Aspiration is rather overused by politicians,but one can understand why. Perhaps it should be replaced by 'personal ambitions or aims'. It is quite sad when some in society, especially young people, have no personal ambition because they feel there is no point, can't be arsed or I will never be able to do such and such. It is this kind of mindset that I think politicians want to try and influence and that is no bad thing............hence 'aspiration' everywhere.
However, aspirations, ambitions or aims must really come from within and they can take all forms. I think the test is try to go about life so as when you get older and look back you won't have too many regrets about your one and only go at life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here